PDA

View Full Version : What to do after academic dismissal?

ComebackKid
12-09-2015, 06:31 PM
I was academically dismissed from a big 4 Caribbean med school for failing a class. I take full responsibility as I did not put in the work it takes to succeed, so failing was the consequence of my actions. This post is for people who have failed and don't know where to go from there.

I went with a career change to Pharmacy. Since coming back home, I took the PCAT (did very well), applied to schools through PharmCas, interviewed at some top schools in the US last week with some more coming up, and just received my first acceptance.
Also my GPA ~3.1

Things I wish I had guidance on when applying
1. I was up front and honest about my history at the foreign institution. I filled out (A BUNCH OF TIMES) the little box that asks if you were dismissed and to explain what happened. (Pharmcas only has one section on this, but each supplemental for the schools you apply to will also have one)

2. There are schools who do not want to see your transcript for the foreign school and there are schools who will. One school asked me to send it and I am in the process of getting it approved. Some schools specifically ask NOT to send foreign transcripts (although these schools are much fewer and often less reputable than the ones that ask for it) -- The school I was accepted into did not want foreign transcripts.

3. I've only had 2 interviews so far and they did not ask at ALL about this. One interview I knew would be closed file and I'm not sure about the 2nd. I did not bring it up and I'm still not sure if I was supposed to or not, but I didn't hide or keep anything from them as I discussed it on all of my applications. My next interview is next week so I'll update this after.

4. Ask me anything you might need help with. Coming home is stressful. It's even more stressful when your resources on how to move forward are pretty limited.

thxleave
12-09-2015, 06:58 PM
I was academically dismissed from a big 4 Caribbean med school for failing a class. I take full responsibility as I did not put in the work it takes to succeed, so failing was the consequence of my actions. This post is for people who have failed and don't know where to go from there.

I went with a career change to Pharmacy. Since coming back home, I took the PCAT (did very well), applied to schools through PharmCas, interviewed at some top schools in the US last week with some more coming up, and just received my first acceptance.
Also my GPA ~3.1

Things I wish I had guidance on when applying
1. I was up front and honest about my history at the foreign institution. I filled out (A BUNCH OF TIMES) the little box that asks if you were dismissed and to explain what happened. (Pharmcas only has one section on this, but each supplemental for the schools you apply to will also have one)

2. There are schools who do not want to see your transcript for the foreign school and there are schools who will. One school asked me to send it and I am in the process of getting it approved. Some schools specifically ask NOT to send foreign transcripts (although these schools are much fewer and often less reputable than the ones that ask for it) -- The school I was accepted into did not want foreign transcripts.

3. I've only had 2 interviews so far and they did not ask at ALL about this. One interview I knew would be closed file and I'm not sure about the 2nd. I did not bring it up and I'm still not sure if I was supposed to or not, but I didn't hide or keep anything from them as I discussed it on all of my applications. My next interview is next week so I'll update this after.

4. Ask me anything you might need help with. Coming home is stressful. It's even more stressful when your resources on how to move forward are pretty limited.

I'm glad for you.... but I do want you to know pharmacy is a field that's getting pretty flooded....

Torontomed
12-09-2015, 08:37 PM
Congratulations!
Be prepared to work at retail chains, relocate or work night shifts etc. and you should be alright.
I would also suggest working as an intern couple of days a week throughout your studies. It's a highly saturated field so it's better to plan ahead.

gashopeful
12-10-2015, 09:22 AM
I am very happy for you and I also admire your determination & refusal to give up. Many ppl. in your shoes simply give up. Pharmacy is a great field (having myself almost gone that route ). I have a few friends who are pharmacist and according to them there are still many good jobs out there.

I would't stress too much about the upcoming interviews/applications since you already have secured a spot.

All the best.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.