PDA

View Full Version : Looking for basic science prep advice

CanadianEh
12-04-2015, 07:07 PM
I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice on what I can study for the most recent curriculum prior to attending Saba next year. It's been a while since I've taken sciences, and I'm wanting to get back into the routine and refresh my memory. I've got Guyton's medical physiology that I'm going through, and I'm watching Dr. Najeebs lectures thus far. I don't have a background in cell bio or genetics, and I see that's a large portion of semester 1, but I have done basic and advanced biochem. Advice is appreciated!

gashopeful
12-04-2015, 07:47 PM
I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice on what I can study for the most recent curriculum prior to attending Saba next year. It's been a while since I've taken sciences, and I'm wanting to get back into the routine and refresh my memory. I've got Guyton's medical physiology that I'm going through, and I'm watching Dr. Najeebs lectures thus far. I don't have a background in cell bio or genetics, and I see that's a large portion of semester 1, but I have done basic and advanced biochem. Advice is appreciated!
Start watching Kaplan videos (you can find them online). Start with Anatomy and work your way up.

CanadianEh
12-07-2015, 09:04 PM
I'm finding lots of dead links searching online. In the meantime, I got a bunch of texts from a friend and amongst them was Gray's anatomy which looks like a good text at first glance.

gashopeful
12-07-2015, 09:56 PM
I'm finding lots of dead links searching online. In the meantime, I got a bunch of texts from a friend and amongst them was Gray's anatomy which looks like a good text at first glance.
Check the Piratebay. If you need good anatomy books/videos:

1. Clinically Oriented Anatomy (or the smaller version by the same authors: essential clinical anatomy).
2. Netter's Clinical Anatomy
For an atlas: Netter's anatomy or Theime atlas of anatomy.
3. Acland's videos
4. University of Michigan Anatomy (good for dissection videos & questions)
*You can find pdf versions online or buy from Amazon.

These 2 books are easy to read and are used by almost all medical schools in the Caribbean/North America. Gray's anatomy for student has nice pictures, but not so good clinical correlates.

Focus on memorizing muscles insertion/attachment/innervation, as well as the clinical correlation. This way you will be weeks ahead once school starts.

Stay away from the step review books (like BRS anatomy), until you start school.

*I did not go to Saba, but this info is valid for all medical schools.s

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.