PDA

View Full Version : The big 4 have company

Medically Necessary
10-28-2015, 01:16 PM
American University of Antigua (AUA) College of Medicine is approved to participate in the U.S. Federal Direct Loan Program.

I am so happy to be a part of this school. It's crazy hard and there's no time to slow down but getting Title 4 is such a relief for so many of us.

I apologize I haven't replied to private messages, but it's going well. I still recommend BTMD program if you're accepted to it.

Good luck to all the new applicants!

bolmd
10-28-2015, 02:10 PM
Looking forward to being a part of AUA!!!

torontoteam
10-28-2015, 02:26 PM
in witch cases the admission commite can decide to put you in the BTMD program? and congrats bolmd!

Call_Me_MD
11-04-2015, 12:11 AM
Yes! Now I can focus 100% on my studies and not on that BOLM loan!!

Raj25
11-20-2015, 07:17 PM
How valid is this claim that AUA makes? Back in 2011 When AUA was less than 10 years old it claimed it was approved in all 50 states. If you look up the state legislation, a lot of States don't approve med schools <10 years old and some states don't approve schools less than 15-20 years old.

I hope what AUA claims to have gotten the title 4 loan is valid.

gashopeful
11-20-2015, 07:38 PM
How valid is this claim that AUA makes? Back in 2011 When AUA was less than 10 years old it claimed it was approved in all 50 states. If you look up the state legislation, a lot of States don't approve med schools <10 years old and some states don't approve schools less than 15-20 years old.

I hope what AUA claims to have gotten the title 4 loan is valid.
Now there are "BIG 5"!

Raj25
11-21-2015, 08:59 AM
The document you've provided may show a "federal loan code" for AUA. Apart from that, it is incomplete - no graduation info, no retention info etc..which means school hasn't disclosed the info.

Raj25
11-21-2015, 11:39 AM
I find it interesting that AUA chose not to disclose info regards to graduation rate and retention.

The pdf. still doesn't answer how AUA fits along side AUC, ROSS and SGU. Sorry if I am sounding like a skeptic but no way AUA fits in the same level as Ross and SGU...never.

Torontomed
11-21-2015, 01:43 PM
What's the number of people dismissed academically due to comp 79% requirement?
What's the number of 4th years in a holding pattern (or on leave) due to comp 79% requirement?

Raj25
11-21-2015, 03:04 PM
That means AUA only caters to Manipal i.e., rich kids who can pay their way through their medical education in manipal campuses in India...come to the states for clinicals/residency. The comp shelf requirement does not apply to them..yet these kids enjoy the luxuries of title 4 etc...I don't see how this really benefits the traditional US student studying in the caribbean.

gashopeful
11-21-2015, 04:57 PM
That means AUA only caters to Manipal i.e., rich kids who can pay their way through their medical education in manipal campuses in India...come to the states for clinicals/residency. The comp shelf requirement does not apply to them..yet these kids enjoy the luxuries of title 4 etc...I don't see how this really benefits the traditional US student studying in the caribbean.
This list is found here. (https://fafsa.ed.gov/FAFSA/app/schoolSearch?locale=en_EN)
I am sure the US dep. of Education has the info you are asking about and can disclose it upon request. But even if what you are saying is correct, how can Manipal rich kids enjoy the luxuries of title IV if they are not US citizens, and why do they need it anyway if they are rich?

Raj25
11-21-2015, 06:53 PM
Manipal kids are Indians living in the United states. What I mean is Manipal was originally meant for rich Indian kids living in the states who wish to enter medicine at age 17 without undergrad. Eventually their goal is to come back to the states. You'll know it in clinical when you see them rotating - they are given first preference then us. They don't even have to take comp shelf.

gashopeful
11-21-2015, 09:16 PM
Manipal kids are Indians living in the United states. What I mean is Manipal was originally meant for rich Indian kids living in the states who wish to enter medicine at age 17 without undergrad. Eventually their goal is to come back to the states. You'll know it in clinical when you see them rotating - they are given first preference then us. They don't even have to take comp shelf.
O.K. now I understand what you mean. Thanks for clarifying. But don't they spend 5-6 years like in most med schools that take students directly from high school?

Torontomed
11-21-2015, 11:41 PM

Well on the "bright" side...Manipal is trying to open a new DO school in the states. It'd be interesting to see if DeVry would follow.

dhermon
11-22-2015, 05:51 AM
Let me clear up a few things. Our requirements are applied consistently throughout the student body. There is no preference given for a particular undergraduate school, economic background or race. To claim otherwise is in stark contrast to what I have personally observed on our campus which fosters and supports diversity. The average age at AUA is 27 not 17.

Raj25, you have visited these forums for years with a variety of grievances. I have sent private message and implored within other threads for you to contact me so I can discuss your concerns with our administration, but you haven't done so. These recent claims of racism are so far from what AUA is about that I have difficulty believing you were ever a part of the AUA community. Once again, if you are a real student, past or present, please give me a call. We can figure this out together. I can't fix anything from unfounded claims on a message board. If you're from a competing school, disparaging AUA isn't going to help your school's image or enrollment.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.