PDA

View Full Version : premed student case

sulaimanshaltoni
10-13-2004, 10:19 AM
hey. I graduated with a 3.2 cumm, 3.4 bio major GPA in 2003. since then, i've been trying to get myself on the medical track. i've taken the mcat twice now, 1)25M 2)23R . I really thought i'd do better overall the second time, i'm fine on sciences and writing. the verbal reasoning seriously killed me (having it rescored). i'm in shock and denial at this point. i don't really want to take it a third time, and have to wait till 2006 to get a decent shot at an american med school.

i've heard pretty cool things about st. chris, and i've studied in cambridge for a study abroad semester and really like england. i've been to luton, briefly. the prospect of being abroad again is exciting, and am considering applying and hopefully start by fall of next year, or sooner. i've got pre-reqs out of the way (except maybe statistics and calculus, how important are those?)

my other option is to try the dental school route. but man... it pales in comparison to medicine in my mind, although its life is less demanding, and that sounds good sometimes.

i'd like to hear some reaction and thoughts to this. did anyone have a similar situation? and if so, what are some reasons that led you to where you are now. thanks for your time.

FrenchFrie
10-13-2004, 11:15 AM
i've heard pretty cool things about st. chris

like what?

, and i've studied in cambridge for a study abroad semester and really like england. i've been to luton, briefly. the prospect of being abroad again is exciting, and am considering applying and hopefully start by fall of next year, or sooner.

cambridge is alot nicer than luton. dont have the same expectations.

i've got pre-reqs out of the way (except maybe statistics and calculus, how important are those?)

call and ask

goodluck!

stchrisrep
10-13-2004, 01:32 PM
hey. I graduated with a 3.2 cumm, 3.4 bio major GPA in 2003. since then, i've been trying to get myself on the medical track. i've taken the mcat twice now, 1)25M 2)23R . I really thought i'd do better overall the second time, i'm fine on sciences and writing. the verbal reasoning seriously killed me (having it rescored). i'm in shock and denial at this point. i don't really want to take it a third time, and have to wait till 2006 to get a decent shot at an american med school.

You have good solid scores.

i've got pre-reqs out of the way (except maybe statistics and calculus, how important are those?)

I recommend you take Statistics I & II because you will see these
concepts in Epidemiology.

my other option is to try the dental school route. but man... it pales in comparison to medicine in my mind, although its life is less demanding, and that sounds good sometimes.

That is up to you. You can try dentistry or osteopathic school or any
other professional school.

sulaimanshaltoni
10-13-2004, 02:12 PM

I recommend you take Statistics I & II because you will see these
concepts in Epidemiology.

Would the lack of having stats I & II hurt my chances of acceptance?

stchrisrep
10-13-2004, 03:52 PM

I doubt it because your scores are decent. You can always learn the
concepts from a review book but it helps to take the courses.
The more experience you have the easier your studies will be in
medical school. Just be forewarned that you will see stats eventually
in medical school and the USMLE.

sulaimanshaltoni
10-13-2004, 05:10 PM

ok, i'm planning on applying ASAP. it all depends on how soon my undergrad professors can submit a LOR. how am I looking for a sept 04 admittance? is there a deadline to keep in mind. am i missing anything else? thanks.

ansgenius
10-13-2004, 05:12 PM
You're way too late for sept 2004. The next class you can apply for is Jan 2005.

Nebakanezer
10-14-2004, 04:57 AM

ok, i'm planning on applying ASAP. it all depends on how soon my undergrad professors can submit a LOR. how am I looking for a sept 04 admittance? is there a deadline to keep in mind. am i missing anything else? thanks. Sept. '04? Do you mean Sept. '05?

sulaimanshaltoni
10-14-2004, 08:14 AM
ok, i'm planning on applying ASAP. it all depends on how soon my undergrad professors can submit a LOR. how am I looking for a sept 04 admittance? is there a deadline to keep in mind. am i missing anything else? thanks.[/quote] Sept. '04? Do you mean Sept. '05?[/quote]

yea, sorry. sept. '05

stchrisrep
10-14-2004, 09:44 AM
ok, i'm planning on applying ASAP. it all depends on how soon my undergrad professors can submit a LOR. how am I looking for a sept 04 admittance? is there a deadline to keep in mind. am i missing anything else? thanks.

----------------

yea, sorry. sept. '05

The next intake starts in January 2005.

http://www.stchris.edu/calendar.htm

It's recommended that you submit all required materials
at least a month in advance. You will have to make arrangements
for your trip and for an entry clearance. These things can take awhile.

http://www.stchris.edu/visas.htm

sulaimanshaltoni
10-14-2004, 12:48 PM
The next intake starts in January 2005.

wait, so if i have everything out by mid-november, you're saying will i be able to interview and be processed for a january 2005 start? could i defer entry till may or sept of that year? i ask because i'm contemplating other schools in the meantime. thanks.

drzed
10-14-2004, 04:48 PM
wait, so if i have everything out by mid-november, you're saying will i be able to interview and be processed for a january 2005 start?

Yep.

could i defer entry till may or sept of that year? i ask because i'm contemplating other schools in the meantime. thanks.

Yep.

madison
10-25-2004, 10:44 AM
this topic made me register so i can post!

i am in the same situation as you are in and am looking for entry in sept '05...

i know someone who is currently at st. chris and he enjoys it there. for the past few months i have seriously considered applying there for entry.

do you have to make a trip to the school for an interview? i live in texas and that is a lot of money for a plane ticket!

and also, if i apply for jan '05 entrance and get in, i can defer it til sept '05? when is the deadline for jan '05 entrance?

and how long does it take for an application to be processed?

stchrisrep
10-25-2004, 11:13 AM
this topic made me register so i can post!

i am in the same situation as you are in and am looking for entry in sept '05...

i know someone who is currently at st. chris and he enjoys it there. for the past few months i have seriously considered applying there for entry.

do you have to make a trip to the school for an interview? i live in texas and that is a lot of money for a plane ticket!

Madison, interviews are not onsite. Currently, they conduct them by telephone.

and also, if i apply for jan '05 entrance and get in, i can defer it til sept '05?

You probably can but why not just apply for the September term. I recommend that you don't do this so you can give someone else a chance to start in Jan. You can also apply for the May semester as well.

when is the deadline for jan '05 entrance?

You should apply at least a month in advance because it takes
awhile to get an entry clearance and to prepare your trip.

and how long does it take for an application to be processed?

They'll process it within two weeks or less.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.