PDA

View Full Version : Saba Medical School & Residency

Rosie123
07-15-2015, 03:52 PM
Hi everyone. I know this has been talked about A LOT but I think it is time to get more recent responses. I have been accepted to Saba School of Medicine, and I would like to hear from any type of student who is currently at Saba, graduated, in residency or currently practicing. I would also like to get some input from those who either did not get a residency - did you have a red flag in your application (ie. low USMLE, poor LOR, etc.), or those who did not graduate - is it REALLY that stressful, or did you just not put in as much studying time as you think you should have?

I understand that it is very difficult to graduate from the school, and that getting a residency spot is difficult as well. But for those who get decent step 1 score, pass their courses, good LOR, etc. do they get matched? I am Canadian, and I realize that there is a very slim chance that I will come back to practice in Canada, and I am fine with that. I would be more than happy to get a residency spot in the US. Is it more difficult for a nonUS-IMG to get a US residency?

Last question - how reflective did you find the MCAT of your performance in medical school and on the USMLE exams? My MCAT scores were in the low 20s (cGPA=3.5 science GPA=3.7) , and I am worried about my performance on the board exams, however I do not think that I fully studied as I should have, and I think that since the school's program is aimed to prepare you for the step 1 exam, I should be just fine.

Any input on these points or your opinions would be appreciated!

Sweetea247
07-18-2015, 01:17 PM
This is a good question to ask since I was also accepted and will be starting in soon. My stats are similar to yours but I'm coming from the US. When do you start?

Rosie123
07-19-2015, 04:33 PM
January 2016, you? I am a little worried about all these changes people speak about, and how they are predicting there will be fewer and fewer spots for IMGs to match.. what are your thoughts?

Sweetea247
07-19-2015, 06:41 PM
I am starting the same time. I'm not sure what to think of it. If you work hard and it was meant to happen it will....A person at the school should answer this question better...

Torontomed
07-19-2015, 07:04 PM
Couple of my friends made it from Saba so i thought i'd offer you guys up my $0.02. Make sure to pass all your Steps on your 1st try. This is critical as an IMG. It's definitely a risky route, but if you're committed to trying to Carib route, big 4 schools (and perhaps AUA since it's 50 state accredited) is the way to go. I'll be looking into Carib schools if my DO apps don't work out for me..so i might see you guys there at some point lol. Good luck!

Rosie123
07-19-2015, 07:14 PM
Thanks Torontomed! I know of a few people too, and I have heard good things (as long as you make it through your time on the island and like you said get high scores on the Steps). Have you heard of anyone who did not get a residency? Are you worried that as Canadians (nonUS-IMGs) we would have an even harder time getting residency?

Torontomed
07-19-2015, 07:43 PM
Thanks Torontomed! I know of a few people too, and I have heard good things (as long as you make it through your time on the island and like you said get high scores on the Steps). Have you heard of anyone who did not get a residency? Are you worried that as Canadians (nonUS-IMGs) we would have an even harder time getting residency ?

I'm worried about this as well. With most of the DO's practicing as Family Docs (the bread and butter specialty for IMG's), i'm assuming it'll get harder to match down the road especially for us who are not US citizens. I'm trying to exhaust all my options here at the moment (retaking MCAT/upgrading courses/looking into SMP etc.) before i try this route.

I've heard mostly success stories coming out of Carib schools..but then again it's purely anecdotal. The only failure stories i heard are from MUA/Windsor students, who took years to pass step 1 or just didn't get a high enough score. Some of them went to those schools straight from high school, and i'm assuming they weren't serious enough. Since it's such a sensitive topic, i didn't bother pestering them with more questions.

benevolo
07-26-2015, 11:13 AM
Hi everyone. I know this has been talked about A LOT but I think it is time to get more recent responses. I have been accepted to Saba School of Medicine, and I would like to hear from any type of student who is currently at Saba, graduated, in residency or currently practicing. I would also like to get some input from those who either did not get a residency - did you have a red flag in your application (ie. low USMLE, poor LOR, etc.), or those who did not graduate - is it REALLY that stressful, or did you just not put in as much studying time as you think you should have?

I understand that it is very difficult to graduate from the school, and that getting a residency spot is difficult as well. But for those who get decent step 1 score, pass their courses, good LOR, etc. do they get matched? I am Canadian, and I realize that there is a very slim chance that I will come back to practice in Canada, and I am fine with that. I would be more than happy to get a residency spot in the US. Is it more difficult for a nonUS-IMG to get a US residency?

Last question - how reflective did you find the MCAT of your performance in medical school and on the USMLE exams? My MCAT scores were in the low 20s (cGPA=3.5 science GPA=3.7) , and I am worried about my performance on the board exams, however I do not think that I fully studied as I should have, and I think that since the school's program is aimed to prepare you for the step 1 exam, I should be just fine.

Any input on these points or your opinions would be appreciated!
I think if you look, there are studies correlating MCAT scores with USMLE scores. It probably comes down to a lot about test taking skills in addition to knowledge. I had a lower GPA than you but higher MCAT and scored in the 97-99th percentile (percentile, not 2 digit score) on the USMLEs and MCCQE. Now in residency in Canada. I'd be a bit concerned about how you'll do on the USMLEs, so maybe a good idea would be to study for the MCAT and get a higher score to prove you can do it. At the same time that would open your doors to DO schools and other options rather than going to the Caribbean.

To answer your other Q it is more difficult as a non-US IMG to match in the US, but it's not that much harder. You get shut out of some states and residencies that will not sponsor visas but the vast majority still do, and so it again comes back to your LORs and board scores more than your citizenship. There has been a fear that the number of US MD/DO graduates coming out are going to be taking even more of the residency spots away from IMGs, but so far that has not become a reality.

maladdy85
09-19-2015, 11:41 AM
So I graduated Saba Mar '15 and I matched on my first try. I applied to a very competitive specialty (EM), and while I got several interviews in my chosen specialty, I ended up matching to my first choice backup plan (transitional year), and will be trying for EM again this year with a backup of anesthesia. Pretty much everyone from my class who didn't have a major red flag (i.e. behavioral problems, low Step scores/failures) or who didn't apply to overly competitive specialties matched, especially the people who went for FM and IM. In my experience if you work your a$$ off on the island, and pass all boards on first attempt, you should at least have good odds of matching FM or IM, especially in places that are familiar with Saba grads. In terms of Canadian vs US citizenship and matching, the major barrier to success is the need for a visa. Many programs in the US just don't want to sponsor them. It seems like the states that border Canada (especially Michigan) are a bit more flexible and offer more visas. New York is a good option as well because there are so many FMG's in the hospital systems. Hope this helps! good luck!

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.