PDA

View Full Version : AUA textbooks

jasmeet93
06-11-2015, 03:17 AM
Hello,
I just got accepted into fall 2015 semester for AUA. I have been reading many threads to succeed for med1 and they talk about multiple textbooks. Should I be buying these books or flash cards before I go to the island? Or will they be provided/offered on the island by the university? Also if anyone else got accepted please let me know! It would be good to make some friends before I get there. I am from Vancouver!
Thanks,
Jasmeet

ola002
06-13-2015, 09:16 PM
Hey,

I'm Emmanuel. I as well just got accepted to AUA. I read your post about the list of required textbooks. I would like to know that to. Im a bit nervous overall being a different country and atmosphere and would like to meet a friend knowing you're in the same position as I am. Shoot me an email if you get a chance, just to introduce ourselves further and hopefully help each other with the transition process and important findings we come across.

jasmeet93
06-13-2015, 09:44 PM
Hey Emmanuel,
I am not sure if you have facrbook but if you do then join the Facebook group "AUA fall 2015/class of 2019" it has tons of information and a chance for you to talk to many AUA students! Also there is a list of textbooks avalaible on the page under "files". Let me know if you need any more help! It is recommended that you don't buy your textbooks until you reach the island so don't stress! :)

vick2025
06-13-2015, 11:08 PM
While I don't recommend on buying the class texts (try google for pdfs) before heading to the island (class lecture ppts should be enough for the most part, the library has copies of them, luggage weight issue, customs in Antigua, etc.), I think you guys should get a copy of FA 2015 and Rapid Review Pathology by Dr. Goljan. Use both when you encounter a disease/path from Med 1. There is no point taking notes in FA from classes because 1) the info from class lecture ppt is useless/way to much info, or not high yield for step 1 2) you will not be using the 2015 edition for your step 1 (notes from Usmle world questions into FA is probably the best thing to do). If the school still offers shelf exams at the end of the term, I recommend going over that subject using both resources (it may not make much sense in the beginning, but by Med 4, you will know what to study and what not to do for step 1). All the best!

shlomo36
07-03-2015, 03:59 AM
Hi Jasmeet,

My name is Shlomo and I will be going to AUA in the fall. I cannot find the Facebook group.

toothsweet
07-24-2015, 04:48 AM
Hi,
I can't find the fb page also. Can someone post the link please? Thanks

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.