PDA

View Full Version : hey guys!! please help me out

wnrudqls
06-09-2015, 06:36 AM
hello guys!

i am actually only a freshman who is just entering in bachelor of physical therapy

since i want to be guided from you guys how to become a doctor in united states. so as a pre med student, i am

visualizing myself to pursue into medicine later on. but one question comes to my mind. because i have just

settled down my pre med student life in UERM which is located in the Philippines. but since i am not a filipino

citizen and either i am not a filipino american.. so definitely i am really a foreign student that's why i really want

to know if there's way to come true my dream.

please help me!!!

thank you very much :)

LilyAsh
08-07-2015, 12:43 PM
hello guys!

i am actually only a freshman who is just entering in bachelor of physical therapy

since i want to be guided from you guys how to become a doctor in united states. so as a pre med student, i am

visualizing myself to pursue into medicine later on. but one question comes to my mind. because i have just

settled down my pre med student life in UERM which is located in the Philippines. but since i am not a filipino

citizen and either i am not a filipino american.. so definitely i am really a foreign student that's why i really want

to know if there's way to come true my dream.

please help me!!!

thank you very much :)

Okay so you're an international student currently doing a bachelor's degree in the Philippines... if you want a medical career then you need to work super hard on your grades. If you want to go to medical school in the US you need to 1) Have more than just perfect GPA, you need other stuff like volunteer experience, extracurricular, etc... 2) you need to have cash, and a lot of it. US medical schools are EXPENSIVE. And as an international student you're not entitled to any loans, financial aid and all that stuff in the US. 3) You need to take the MCAT
If you don't wanna go to medical school in the US, you can still have a career as a doctor there, after you graduate med school but your chances will be slightly slimmer, because residency recruiters give preference to US medical graduates and citizens.
But ofc, going to an international medical school could save you a lot of cash, but you have to work extra hard in med school and get stellar grades, aim for 240+ on your USMLEs and do research and stuff to get into a decent residency program.

To answer your question, ofc your dream can come true, you just have a lot of hard work ahead of you my friend, but if you're willing to do the work, you're setting yourself up for a rewarding career.

devildoc8404
08-07-2015, 05:53 PM
Note that US medical schools generally do not accept premedical bachelor's degrees from overseas (with the exception of Canada). FWIW then, a Filipino bachelor's degree will not get you there... no matter how great your grades or MCAT scores might be.

The alternate pathway of getting into residency and eventual practice in the US after graduating from a foreign medical school is possible, at least currently, but it is impossible to project how things will look for FMGs that far (7-8 years) into the future.

juel231
08-18-2015, 05:00 AM
Yes you can easily come true your dream by hard working. A proverb goes that, "There is a will, there is a way".
Thank you.

devildoc8404
08-19-2015, 12:17 PM
Hard work is great. However, directing that hard work toward earning a degree that is not accepted at medical schools in the country where you want to study is pretty... um... "ill-advised." Dontcha think?

Come on, now.

Yes you can easily come true your dream by hard working. A proverb goes that, "There is a will, there is a way".
Thank you.

Torontomed
08-19-2015, 01:57 PM
Do your bachelor's in Canada. I believe tuition is cheaper here for international students than in the states. Once you're done, apply to med schools in USA.
Devildoc is right. You can work your butt off and get a 100 in every course during your bachelor's in Phillipines, but it'll mean nothing when it comes to applying to most med schools in North America. This isn't a "he said, she said" thing, this is a strict rule. I'd advice doing your undergrad in North America if you want your pre-req/premed courses to be counted.

Other option is to finish your med school in Phillipines and apply to residency in the states. Or start from scratch from a Caribbean school and apply to residency in the states. Both options have pros and cons that can be found by a little research.
Good luck!

edufactsindia
08-21-2015, 03:54 AM
yes it is possible. that you can easily get your dreams true.

devildoc8404
08-21-2015, 06:36 PM
yes it is possible. that you can easily get your dreams true.

Easily, no less!? Wow. You must have really kicked butt in medical school. Congrats on making the entire FMG/IMG process seem like nothing more than falling off of a log.

edufactsindia
09-04-2015, 06:40 AM
why don't you go Ukraine. because there are a lot of medical universities which offers a lot of courses.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.