PDA

View Full Version : SABA May 2015 class - a little bit of insight...

SabaStudentMay2015
05-30-2015, 10:09 AM
There is a lot of talk that goes on in these forums and to be honest it's probably from those who don't do all that well, fail out, and have nothing better to do. I am currently in the May 2015 class and have exams coming up Monday, and as procrastination sets in I remembered all the scary things I was reading in these forums when I was looking to apply. I was always looking for facts and statistics rather than just subjective opinions from whoever so hear are my facts. I finished Brock University (in Ontario, Canada) with an 85% average in Medical Sciences. In the first month there are two courses: clinical skills and scientific foundations. Science exam was 92% and Clinical Skills exam was 84%, note was 100% and interview was 94%. Granted the first month is usually the easiest and I have anatomy and histology coming up which are going to be far from simple, but that is the basic idea. Now if you think studying will be the same as undergrad you are mistaken. Your life will pretty much become studying, every day all day, and to be honest that is okay with me. Obviously you can take a break every now and then but time management is key! Saba University is a second chance for most and if you think they are going to offer acceptance to someone with a low GPA and just let you coast through medical school what kind of reputation would that give them and really what kind of patient would want you working on them. If your concerned about getting accepted your best chance is in the January class or May class. The interview is a really simple phone call and they are super friendly so no worries there. Best advice I can give if you have been accepted... join a facebook group as soon as possible and talk to people who already live here. Good luck!

Torontomed
05-30-2015, 10:45 AM
There is a lot of talk that goes on in these forums and to be honest it's probably from those who don't do all that well, fail out, and have nothing better to do. I am currently in the May 2015 class and have exams coming up Monday, and as procrastination sets in I remembered all the scary things I was reading in these forums when I was looking to apply. I was always looking for facts and statistics rather than just subjective opinions from whoever so hear are my facts. I finished Brock University (in Ontario, Canada) with an 85% average in Medical Sciences. In the first month there are two courses: clinical skills and scientific foundations. Science exam was 92% and Clinical Skills exam was 84%, note was 100% and interview was 94%. Granted the first month is usually the easiest and I have anatomy and histology coming up which are going to be far from simple, but that is the basic idea. Now if you think studying will be the same as undergrad you are mistaken. Your life will pretty much become studying, every day all day, and to be honest that is okay with me. Obviously you can take a break every now and then but time management is key! Saba University is a second chance for most and if you think they are going to offer acceptance to someone with a low GPA and just let you coast through medical school what kind of reputation would that give them and really what kind of patient would want you working on them. If your concerned about getting accepted your best chance is in the January class or May class. The interview is a really simple phone call and they are super friendly so no worries there. Best advice I can give if you have been accepted... join a facebook group as soon as possible and talk to people who already live here. Good luck!

Hey congrats on getting into Saba! I was just curious about the bolded..do you mean the exams were worth 92% and 84% respectively? or are those the marks/percentages you got :)

SabaStudentMay2015
05-30-2015, 11:02 AM
Science exam was worth 35% of final - not sure of av. - I received 92%
Clinical exam was worth 15% of final - av. was 76% - I received 84%
Clinical note was worth 10% of final - av. was 89% - I received 94%
Clinical interview was worth 10% of final - av. was 92% - I received 100%
70% and below is considered a fail

Sweetea247
05-31-2015, 02:33 PM

What do you do in the note and interview class? What is the content involved? Also the first semester, from my understanding, you take anatomy, histology, clinical skills, and scientific foundations? I am a future incoming student. How do you study for the classes? Do you study solely the power-points or the textbooks? Do you have any advice for future incoming students? Anything you wish you would have known before starting?

SabaStudentMay2015
05-31-2015, 03:37 PM
The first month is scientific foundations every morning from 9-12 and clinical skills from 1-3. You learn how to interview patients, take proper notes, and basically how to remain professional while extracting information from patients as best as possible. The first set of exams is after two weeks and then another set after the following two weeks. Everything on the exams is on the power points so don't worry about extra reading, besides the articles they give you. You absolutely don't need any textbooks despite what they might tell you, everything is online. Some advice for traveling: Don't bring too many suitcases with you, or pack them too heavy or you won't be able to fly with WinAir. Also they are very unreliable and after having our flight cancelled twice we ended up taking the ferry two days later after being stuck in St Maarten for two nights. Find your place to live for the second semester before the first month as the good/cheap housing gets filled up very quickly.

Sweetea247
05-31-2015, 06:41 PM
The first month is scientific foundations every morning from 9-12 and clinical skills from 1-3. You learn how to interview patients, take proper notes, and basically how to remain professional while extracting information from patients as best as possible. The first set of exams is after two weeks and then another set after the following two weeks. Everything on the exams is on the power points so don't worry about extra reading, besides the articles they give you. You absolutely don't need any textbooks despite what they might tell you, everything is online. Some advice for traveling: Don't bring too many suitcases with you, or pack them too heavy or you won't be able to fly with WinAir. Also they are very unreliable and after having our flight cancelled twice we ended up taking the ferry two days later after being stuck in St Maarten for two nights. Find your place to live for the second semester before the first month as the good/cheap housing gets filled up very quickly.

Thanks for replying back so quickly. I have been trying to get feedback about this school since I don't know anyone on the island. I tried to contact 3 people in one of the facebook groups online and no one replied back to me. So I want to ask your opinion on the school. Do you enjoy your time there? Are you happy with your decision? If you could do it all over again, would you have picked SABA? Also as a single female on the Island, I wanted to know is there security on the Island and is it a safe place to be? Also is the housing situation decent?

SabaStudentMay2015
06-01-2015, 03:44 PM
Personally I am extremely happy with my decision! I am the type of student that loves to get distracted by friends and stuff. This island is the perfect place to study medicine! During the first month you might have a couple chances to go out but for the most part everyone in your class will be studying so you will be too. Everyone here has the same mind set... to study hard and get off the island lol The island isn't for everyone, some people love it and some people hate it. The dorms are really nice for the first semester so it doesn't seem much different from home. Wednesday is grocery day so make sure your there if you want fresh fruit and milk because its usually gone by Thursday! Goats and chickens are everywhere, the people are super friendly and everywhere you go is a spectacular view. I absolutely love it here but you may have a little culture shock if you are used to the big city. I would pick SABA every single time, over and over again, mind you this is the only school I applied to, everyone I talk to says that SABA students are far above American and Caribbean med students. As far as safety goes I wouldn't worry about it... everyone here is single and if you don't feel comfortable just live with your roommates after first semester. There are safe walk programs that are being set in place but honestly I wouldn't worry about it everyone here is overly friendly and I literally hitchhike everywhere I go :) although I'm a guy and most girls chose not to do this. Not really sure about the housing apart from the dorms but I hear it depends where you live, some is really nice and some of the cheaper places are not so nice.

Sweetea247
06-03-2015, 10:06 AM
Personally I am extremely happy with my decision! I am the type of student that loves to get distracted by friends and stuff. This island is the perfect place to study medicine! During the first month you might have a couple chances to go out but for the most part everyone in your class will be studying so you will be too. Everyone here has the same mind set... to study hard and get off the island lol The island isn't for everyone, some people love it and some people hate it. The dorms are really nice for the first semester so it doesn't seem much different from home. Wednesday is grocery day so make sure your there if you want fresh fruit and milk because its usually gone by Thursday! Goats and chickens are everywhere, the people are super friendly and everywhere you go is a spectacular view. I absolutely love it here but you may have a little culture shock if you are used to the big city. I would pick SABA every single time, over and over again, mind you this is the only school I applied to, everyone I talk to says that SABA students are far above American and Caribbean med students. As far as safety goes I wouldn't worry about it... everyone here is single and if you don't feel comfortable just live with your roommates after first semester. There are safe walk programs that are being set in place but honestly I wouldn't worry about it everyone here is overly friendly and I literally hitchhike everywhere I go :) although I'm a guy and most girls chose not to do this. Not really sure about the housing apart from the dorms but I hear it depends where you live, some is really nice and some of the cheaper places are not so nice.

Thanks for the insight :D . I work out regularly and it's an outlet for me. So does the campus have a gym? Also, is there a computer lab where I am able to print class notes, or do you recommend me bringing a printer and ink? Lastly, you mentioned earlier that a grade below 70 percent is failing. Is this the same for all the classes in the curriculum?

From my understanding, Anatomy and Histology start after the first month (3 months of lecture in the first semester)? How many exams make up both courses and typically how many students are assigned to a cadaver? Is the anatomy lab open often? Also do the professors set out office hours to help the students? Sorry for bombarding you with so many questions....

SabaStudentMay2015
06-05-2015, 07:18 PM
Yes the campus has a gym... as to how big it is I'm not sure because I have never been. There is a printer in the computer lab and I believe it costs 10 cents per page. Although there are too many slides to print them out every day so just get used to reading off your laptop. I used to print them off all the time but when I got here I switched to reading from my computer. It costs a lot to ship extra stuff here so bring essentials... so a printer might be too bulky... but my roommate has one and loves it so it's up to you. You can find information about all the future classes once you get here as it changes slightly from semester to semester. Anatomy is 5 exams total and Histology is 6 exams each weighing a different amount towards your final grade. 69.999% and lower is a consistent fail throughout all semesters. 8 students per cadaver and anatomy labs are open to go in whenever. The professors usually come in Saturday morning to help or if you go to their office and ask them to come down.

Sweetea247
06-06-2015, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the input. So, lets say a student fails one class the first semester. Will he be allowed to take the one class over? Or will that require taking the whole semester over? Also, from the 70-80 or so students that start the first semester, how many will make it through the first semester? How many will make it 5 semesters (off the Island)?

SabaStudentMay2015
06-06-2015, 02:49 PM
You only have to redo the class you dropped/failed the following semester. Our class gained 6 from the second semester that dropped or failed anatomy. By rumor I heard the fifth started with 90 and they're at 60 now. I heard once you finish here there is 95% chance you make it through clinical rotation and 95% chance you match.

smahmou
06-16-2015, 01:55 PM
I am an incoming student for the September 2015 class. I have a few questions about life on the island I wanted to see if you could answer.

How do students use phones on the campus? will I be able to use my same phone or do students usually buy a new one with a new provider?

I have read online that the internet is turned off during class, is this true? Also does this apply to the dormitory? Are there ever problems with the internet or it becoming frustrating?

I read that the currency used there is US dollars, is this true? Can I expect to bring credit/debit cards and use them with ease on the island or do I need to bring a large amount of cash? What do other students usually do? Do they set up a bank account with the local bank on the island?

I would greatly appreciate your help in answering these questions, Thank you.

SabaStudentMay2015
06-16-2015, 06:38 PM
I am an incoming student for the September 2015 class. I have a few questions about life on the island I wanted to see if you could answer.

How do students use phones on the campus? will I be able to use my same phone or do students usually buy a new one with a new provider?

I have read online that the internet is turned off during class, is this true? Also does this apply to the dormitory? Are there ever problems with the internet or it becoming frustrating?

I read that the currency used there is US dollars, is this true? Can I expect to bring credit/debit cards and use them with ease on the island or do I need to bring a large amount of cash? What do other students usually do? Do they set up a bank account with the local bank on the island?

I would greatly appreciate your help in answering these questions, Thank you.

There are some students who purchased phones for on island use but I haven't bothered with it yet so I'm not sure. Everyone uses the new provider that is given with the island phone. Internet is turned off during class except the server which has all the class content that you need. However there is two connections, one called "SUSOM" and the other "SUSOMlibrary". Usually you are logged onto SUSOM but if you log into the other one you get internet. But your best off paying attention in class to be honest. Internet hasn't really bothered me at all. Yes it's all US funds and you can use credit and debit cards on the island but I just brought 1500 with me in cash and it has lasted so far. It costs a small sum each time you take money out otherwise. I haven't heard of anybody making bank accounts yet although I know it was talked about before I came to the island.

Sweetea247
06-18-2015, 05:57 PM
There are some students who purchased phones for on island use but I haven't bothered with it yet so I'm not sure. Everyone uses the new provider that is given with the island phone. Internet is turned off during class except the server which has all the class content that you need. However there is two connections, one called "SUSOM" and the other "SUSOMlibrary". Usually you are logged onto SUSOM but if you log into the other one you get internet. But your best off paying attention in class to be honest. Internet hasn't really bothered me at all. Yes it's all US funds and you can use credit and debit cards on the island but I just brought 1500 with me in cash and it has lasted so far. It costs a small sum each time you take money out otherwise. I haven't heard of anybody making bank accounts yet although I know it was talked about before I came to the island.

Does the dorms have rooms with locks? I will assume that they do since people sometimes bring things of value. Do you know how much they charge to use your card for purchases?

lightningstrike
06-18-2015, 10:54 PM
Hey,

Yes Dorm rooms do have locks. The island's official currency is the US dollar. So all purchases can be made with US Cash. Of the grocery stores on the island, once your purchase is past $20-25 they will accept credit cards. The same applies to most of the restaurants.

Do not bother with setting up a bank account on the island, it is nothing more than a hassle. However, you should remember that to pay your landlord cash will be a necessity. So I bring a couple months rent in cash with me to the island. The bank ATM's charge around $4.00-$4.50 per withdrawal (in addition to your own banks fees, if any). So I always withdraw the maximum amount of $500 USD when I need to.

Hope that helps.

Sweetea247
06-19-2015, 07:32 PM
Hey,

Yes Dorm rooms do have locks. The island's official currency is the US dollar. So all purchases can be made with US Cash. Of the grocery stores on the island, once your purchase is past $20-25 they will accept credit cards. The same applies to most of the restaurants.

Do not bother with setting up a bank account on the island, it is nothing more than a hassle. However, you should remember that to pay your landlord cash will be a necessity. So I bring a couple months rent in cash with me to the island. The bank ATM's charge around $4.00-$4.50 per withdrawal (in addition to your own banks fees, if any). So I always withdraw the maximum amount of $500 USD when I need to.

Hope that helps.

So you can only pay your landlord with cash? Also, are the flights to and from expensive? What is the range of flight prices? Also, I noticed you commented on the other thread. Is the drop our rate that high on the Island? Are there tutoring programs to help the student if struggling?

Torontomed
06-19-2015, 08:24 PM
I had a couple of quick questions.
Is there a mandatory attendance policy?
Are the lectures video recorded?

And this is gonna be a stupid question - if you're able to re-take only the failed course the following semester, how do people "drop out" or get kicked out? I'm assuming there's a limit to how many courses you can fail?
I was under the impression (wrongly i suppose) that people leave Saba because they're forced to re-take the entire semester and ultimately decide to drop out of school all together.

lightningstrike
06-19-2015, 09:57 PM
So you can only pay your landlord with cash? Also, are the flights to and from expensive? What is the range of flight prices? Also, I noticed you commented on the other thread. Is the drop our rate that high on the Island? Are there tutoring programs to help the student if struggling?

Yes you do have to pay your landlords in cash. Flights to and from where? I don't know where you live, just look at Expedia/Google Flights or whatever for your home airport to SXM (St. Maarten). Then add another 80-100 USD for the flight from SXM to Saba.

Yes the academic attrition is fairly high. Failing two courses in one semester is grounds for academic dismissal. As of my third semester, from my original class approximately 10% failed out and another 15% have failed one course and are repeating said course.

There are no tutoring programs that are offered by the school. However the students are generally willing to help out if you ask. Remember nearly every academic assessment is in the form of multiple-choice exams. I have managed to do well in all of my courses, so they are absolutely doable. However, note that the school will not hold your hand at all during your transition.

I had a couple of quick questions.
Is there a mandatory attendance policy?
Are the lectures video recorded?

And this is gonna be a stupid question - if you're able to re-take only the failed course the following semester, how do people "drop out" or get kicked out? I'm assuming there's a limit to how many courses you can fail?
I was under the impression (wrongly i suppose) that people leave Saba because they're forced to re-take the entire semester and ultimately decide to drop out of school all together.

Yes there is a mandatory attendance policy. You must attend 90% of lectures/labs. This is a nuisance, but is required by the school and likely accreditation bodies. The school doesn't mention it, but they are unable to provide internet during class hours (probably due to low bandwidth). So expect no internet while in class.

Lectures are not recorded. I don't pay too much attention in class and I do fine. The exam material is mostly from the lecture slides with few exceptions.

Failing two or more courses in the same semester, failing a course the second time, or failing a course while on probation (which is generally the semester after failing one) can all lead to academic dismissal. So if you failed histology in first semester, pass it on your second go, then fail immunology in your second semester you would be subject to being dismissed. This policy may sound harsh, but if you put your time in and focus the courses are doable (70% in all courses to pass).

Sweetea247
06-21-2015, 12:37 PM
Yes you do have to pay your landlords in cash. Flights to and from where? I don't know where you live, just look at Expedia/Google Flights or whatever for your home airport to SXM (St. Maarten). Then add another 80-100 USD for the flight from SXM to Saba.

Yes the academic attrition is fairly high. Failing two courses in one semester is grounds for academic dismissal. As of my third semester, from my original class approximately 10% failed out and another 15% have failed one course and are repeating said course.

There are no tutoring programs that are offered by the school. However the students are generally willing to help out if you ask. Remember nearly every academic assessment is in the form of multiple-choice exams. I have managed to do well in all of my courses, so they are absolutely doable. However, note that the school will not hold your hand at all during your transition.

Yes there is a mandatory attendance policy. You must attend 90% of lectures/labs. This is a nuisance, but is required by the school and likely accreditation bodies. The school doesn't mention it, but they are unable to provide internet during class hours (probably due to low bandwidth). So expect no internet while in class.

Lectures are not recorded. I don't pay too much attention in class and I do fine. The exam material is mostly from the lecture slides with few exceptions.

Failing two or more courses in the same semester, failing a course the second time, or failing a course while on probation (which is generally the semester after failing one) can all lead to academic dismissal. So if you failed histology in first semester, pass it on your second go, then fail immunology in your second semester you would be subject to being dismissed. This policy may sound harsh, but if you put your time in and focus the courses are doable (70% in all courses to pass).

When you mean landlord, you are referring to on-campus housing? The utilities must be paid in cash and the rent must be paid in full when we arrive on the Island, is that correct? What is the dress code for class? What textbooks are needed first semester? Also for future semesters, books do ship to the Island is that correct? Thanks.

lightningstrike
06-21-2015, 10:08 PM
When you mean landlord, you are referring to on-campus housing? The utilities must be paid in cash and the rent must be paid in full when we arrive on the Island, is that correct? What is the dress code for class? What textbooks are needed first semester? Also for future semesters, books do ship to the Island is that correct? Thanks.

I was referring to off-campus housing which you will have to take for the other 4 semesters. For the first semester you can wire transfer the amount directly to the company ahead of time.

Utilities are primarily paid in cash, but you can pay internet with a credit card if its not included in your rent (pay direct to Satel NV).

No textbooks are needed, I didn't purchase a single one or bring any with me. If you really need one, you could always buy it off an upper semester or borrow a copy from the school's library. The only book worth getting is a copy of First Aid for the USMLE, so you can study for Step 1.

There is no formal dress code for class, so pretty much anything you could wear to a regular college class. The exception being clinical skill examinations and some classes. For these classes, dress business casual with your short white coat and that should be sufficient.

paperboy123
09-15-2015, 11:53 AM
Just been accepted to May 2016!! Whats the best dorm that I should pick?

bolmd
09-15-2015, 12:11 PM
what were your stats?

paperboy123
09-15-2015, 02:39 PM
what were your stats?
ill inbox you

SabaStudentMay2015
09-16-2015, 10:44 AM

Congrats! Dorm 3 is the newest and nicest in my opinion.

SabaStudentMay2015
09-16-2015, 10:46 AM

Also May is probably the best class to be in since it is usually a lot smaller and it works out that you can go straight into clinical rotations without having to wait.

paperboy123
09-16-2015, 01:59 PM
Oh ok that is good to know. I really would like to get the bridgeport rotation and get that yale letter head. I'm going for a competit residency so anything helps i guess.;)

paperboy123
09-16-2015, 02:34 PM
I also wanted to ask because I was reading over some of the stuff SABA sent me.. how do you manage laundry when its $ 8-10/load .. any advice on how to minimize costs?
I personally have no interest in TV nor would I assume id have the time, but would it be possible to survive on just going to the school and using their wifi to study or is dorm DSL necessary. I ask because for one thing, it is ridiculously expensive and they are requiring 6 months minimum of phone service as well, not to mention ii haven't seen internet speed that slow since the early 2000's lol
I was just going to study as library whole day and study slides if i felt like studying at home. I also planned on using the school wifi to make phone calls such as FaceTime.
also whats the range in prices at school cafeteria and is their reasonably healthy options?
I am excited but also wanted to be prepared. thank you for all the insight. i tried looking through the forum, but hard to find any recent info

SabaStudentMay2015
09-16-2015, 04:48 PM
I also wanted to ask because I was reading over some of the stuff SABA sent me.. how do you manage laundry when its $ 8-10/load .. any advice on how to minimize costs?
I personally have no interest in TV nor would I assume id have the time, but would it be possible to survive on just going to the school and using their wifi to study or is dorm DSL necessary. I ask because for one thing, it is ridiculously expensive and they are requiring 6 months minimum of phone service as well, not to mention ii haven't seen internet speed that slow since the early 2000's lol
I was just going to study as library whole day and study slides if i felt like studying at home. I also planned on using the school wifi to make phone calls such as FaceTime.
also whats the range in prices at school cafeteria and is their reasonably healthy options?
I am excited but also wanted to be prepared. thank you for all the insight. i tried looking through the forum, but hard to find any recent info
I basically did a load every two weeks and that was fine for me. I didn't have that many clothes to wash so it wasn't a big deal. You could get away with using just the library's wifi but honestly it isn't bad if you split the medium package with your roommates. I don't eat at the cafeteria so I can't comment on food options or prices. I just make my lunch at home to save money.

Lionceau
09-16-2015, 05:23 PM
Cafeteria has a multitude of items to choose from daily.
They usually have 1-2 special items that vary daily and cost about $10-12 bucks as well as different sandwiches (ex: Chicken, crab, veggie, etc.) that cost ~$6-7 and veggie soup that costs $4. If you get the big item though, those usually lasted me at least 3 meals. They also have a snack area if you just want chips or something. However, lately I've just been eating at home during my 1 hour lunch breaks.

EbonyGlow
09-16-2015, 05:51 PM
I hope I get accepted. If I do, I know it's a bit of adjustment for people used to living in a developed country. But if laundry is that expensive, I'll GLADLY hand wash my clothes. It's a tropical country so the sun is your friend. lol! Clothes should dry easily. I plan to bring a crock pot so I can make meals regularly.

I wonder though, are there kitchens to for the dorm students? Or is an apartment best? Any refrigerators in the dorms?
I might have to make friends so I can cook in their kitchen to bring back to my dorm.

SabaStudentMay2015
09-16-2015, 06:07 PM
I hope I get accepted. If I do, I know it's a bit of adjustment for people used to living in a developed country. But if laundry is that expensive, I'll GLADLY hand wash my clothes. It's a tropical country so the sun is your friend. lol! Clothes should dry easily. I plan to bring a crock pot so I can make meals regularly.

I wonder though, are there kitchens to for the dorm students? Or is an apartment best? Any refrigerators in the dorms?
I might have to make friends so I can cook in their kitchen to bring back to my dorm.
Hahaha you have the wrong perspective about Saba. Every dorm room has four bedrooms, two washrooms, a stove, a fridge, etc etc Its actually really nice!

SabaStudentMay2015
09-16-2015, 06:11 PM

EbonyGlow
09-16-2015, 06:14 PM
Hahaha you have the wrong perspective about Saba. Every dorm room has four bedrooms, two washrooms, a stove, a fridge, etc etc Its actually really nice!

haha! That's even better!! They say, hope for the best, prepare for the worst so I was gonna be ready for whatever lol!!1

But I'm happy it's as you say it is!!! I don't want pruny hands.

EbonyGlow
09-16-2015, 06:15 PM
I was thinking it would be like some typical freshman dorms with just a sleeping area and bathroom.

paperboy123
09-16-2015, 08:49 PM
haha! That's even better!! They say, hope for the best, prepare for the worst so I was gonna be ready for whatever lol!!1

But I'm happy it's as you say it is!!! I don't want pruny hands.
lol yea plus I've read in previous posts that SABA won't allow you to hand wash. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Just what I read. Hope its not true. I wanna be as frugal as can be .

Lionceau
09-17-2015, 06:17 PM
yeah, if you live in the dorms you can't do your own laundry. Water is a valuable and limited resource here. But they have people who will wash it for you which is good- you'll have more time for studying.

paperboy123
09-18-2015, 06:05 PM
Hi can someone make a list of things we should bring with us; both obvious and not so obvious. Also is one big suitcase enough and allowed on the plane. I also plan on taking a carry on like a book bag with laptop and spare clothes and toiletries in case bag is delayed. Is that allowed on the small plane? Thanks.

EbonyGlow
09-18-2015, 06:47 PM
I haven't gone thru that thread yet but I was started back in 2004. I don't know how current or relevant the info is though.

ughhh....never mind, I can't post the link cus I have under 20 posts. :rolleyes:

Sweetea247
09-18-2015, 07:01 PM
yeah, if you live in the dorms you can't do your own laundry. Water is a valuable and limited resource here. But they have people who will wash it for you which is good- you'll have more time for studying.

I read somewhere that you can have packs of water delivered to your room, is this true? Also do any of the dorms have ovens?

Sweetea247
09-18-2015, 07:03 PM
Also May is probably the best class to be in since it is usually a lot smaller and it works out that you can go straight into clinical rotations without having to wait.

Do you have to wait a long time to start rotations if you start the January class?

Lionceau
09-21-2015, 08:45 PM
I don't live in the dorms so I don't want to steer you wrong, but I think some dorms do have ovens. I know mystore on the bottom will deliver groceries if you buy 2 carts full of items (but again I'm basing this on my experience living off campus)

Lionceau
09-21-2015, 08:51 PM
The school will send you a list of recommended items to pack. My suggestion would be (if you are flying) to pack your white coat, a towel, and 3 days worth of clothing in your carry on in case your check in luggage is delayed. On the main airlines, I could only bring 2 luggages and 1 carry on and 1 personal item. But when I got to winair, I was able to check in 3 luggages and had no problem. If you're unsure you can always email them- they are usually pretty responsive.

EbonyGlow
09-23-2015, 05:36 PM
SO excited about getting in!

Rosie123
09-23-2015, 09:12 PM
Can someone from the new curriculum suggest which textbooks (or what) we should review before starting on the island? I would like to go over some of the harder material. I am thinking to review BRS anatomy and BRS histology?

Lionceau
09-25-2015, 01:26 PM
Can someone from the new curriculum suggest which textbooks (or what) we should review before starting on the island? I would like to go over some of the harder material. I am thinking to review BRS anatomy and BRS histology?

If you want to be ahead, the only book you really need to read is your Skills for Patient communication and pay particular attention to studies and findings. You'll thank me later. That is really the only book we were required to read 1st semester and contained material that was specifically tested on. BRS for anatomy and USMLE first aid is very good for later, but don't worry about it now. I took a class in biochemistry before I got here which was the same book they told us to have. Personally, I don't think you don't really need to read it, but just make sure you have a strong foundation in biochem. I wouldn't worry about the other books.

Lionceau
09-25-2015, 01:27 PM
Also don't forget to pack a calculator.

Sweetea247
09-26-2015, 09:47 AM
If you want to be ahead, the only book you really need to read is your Skills for Patient communication and pay particular attention to studies and findings. You'll thank me later. That is really the only book we were required to read 1st semester and contained material that was specifically tested on. BRS for anatomy and USMLE first aid is very good for later, but don't worry about it now. I took a class in biochemistry before I got here which was the same book they told us to have. Personally, I don't think you don't really need to read it, but just make sure you have a strong foundation in biochem. I wouldn't worry about the other books.

Is there going to be biochem the first semester? From my understanding with the new curriculum there is histology, anatomy, clinical notes and patient interview, correct?

Sweetea247
09-26-2015, 09:48 AM
Exciting! I start in January, when do you start?

Sweetea247
09-26-2015, 09:50 AM
SO excited about getting in!

Exciting! I start in January, when do you start?

Lionceau
09-26-2015, 10:45 AM

Lionceau
09-26-2015, 10:46 AM
Is there going to be biochem the first semester? From my understanding with the new curriculum there is histology, anatomy, clinical notes and patient interview, correct?

Almost.
So your first semester is broken up into two parts.
Your first 4 weeks you will have: Scientific Foundations (consisting largely of Biochem, some basic genetics/biotechnology, a little basic histology, and 1 week of basic pharmacology) from 9:00-12:00 M-F. You will have Clinical Skills (consisting of patient interviewing, patient communication, patient notes, and professionalism) from 1:00-3:00 M-Thursday.
On Friday from 1:00-3:00 you will have clinical correlates which kinda ties what you are learning in scientific foundations that week into clinical medicine-so you will cover diseases processes etc.
Then for the second part of your first semester-when apparently everything will hit the roof- you will have 10 weeks of histology and anatomy.
It's kinda confusing writing it out, but I hope that was somewhat clear. Good luck! :)

Rosie123
10-06-2015, 02:51 PM
For those who finished the basic sciences - does Saba have clinical rotation spots available for all students? Is there a long waiting time between rotations? Are the rotations in good hospitals where we can learn as much as any other med student from the US? Any tips on how to get good rotations?

Akuma
10-06-2015, 04:53 PM
For those who finished the basic sciences - does Saba have clinical rotation spots available for all students? Is there a long waiting time between rotations? Are the rotations in good hospitals where we can learn as much as any other med student from the US? Any tips on how to get good rotations?

I was under the impression that all students are guaranteed clerkship spots if they pass step 1.

Rosie123
10-07-2015, 08:10 AM
I was under the impression that all students are guaranteed clerkship spots if they pass step 1.

I think we are, but I heard that some people have to wait a long time between rotations and that the hospitals where we do our rotations can vary in quality.. Does anyone have any input on how to get rotations in good teaching hospitals?

VickPower
10-17-2015, 09:42 PM
Are there shelf exams after each term? And is the USMLE prep in semester 5 by Kaplan or Becker? Thank you.

paperboy123
10-18-2015, 09:44 PM
Are there shelf exams after each term? And is the USMLE prep in semester 5 by Kaplan or Becker? Thank you.

Kaplan; based on the school website. curriculum> basic sciences > usmle prep

paperboy123
10-18-2015, 09:46 PM
i was reading through the past threads.. does this toilet not flushing until you have rain water still stand?

Lionceau
10-20-2015, 09:25 PM

In our first semester the only shelf exam we have is anatomy, which I believe counts for 30% of our grade.

Lionceau
10-20-2015, 09:28 PM
i was reading through the past threads.. does this toilet not flushing until you have rain water still stand?

The toilet flushes, but we use the mnemonic "if it's yellow let it mellow and if it's brown flush it down" because water is a precious resource here and flushing each time you go greatly increases the odds that you will run out of water. And if you run out, everyone that relies on that particular cistern runs out as well. Meaning- you will have no water for showers, brushing your teeth, etc. Just stick to the mnemonic and take 5 min. or less showers and you should be fine.

paperboy123
10-21-2015, 08:39 AM
The toilet flushes, but we use the mnemonic "if it's yellow let it mellow and if it's brown flush it down" because water is a precious resource here and flushing each time you go greatly increases the odds that you will run out of water. And if you run out, everyone that relies on that particular cistern runs out as well. Meaning- you will have no water for showers, brushing your teeth, etc. Just stick to the mnemonic and take 5 min. or less showers and you should be fine.
oh ok. thank you. i guess that is reasonable considering resources.

paperboy123
11-03-2015, 09:08 PM
Hello. Can someone please tell me some shipping companies that I can use to send a barrel to SABA. Its hard to find ones for SABA; most are for St. Maarten and Dominica. Im from NY/NJ area. Thanks

Lionceau
11-03-2015, 09:50 PM
Hello. Can someone please tell me some shipping companies that I can use to send a barrel to SABA. Its hard to find ones for SABA; most are for St. Maarten and Dominica. Im from NY/NJ area. Thanks
Not sure about barrels, but Hassellfree shipping and ICS ship from the states to Saba and are alot cheaper than fedex.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.