PDA

View Full Version : IMGs

Bushido9
05-14-2015, 07:26 PM
Hello everyone.
Does anyone know whether AUA graduates are considered to be international medical graduates when they apply for US residencies? If yes, is there an additional exam (besides USMLE) that needs to be completed before being able to apply for a US residency?

Thank you

vick2025
05-14-2015, 09:34 PM
Feel free to correct me, but this is what I think.

IMG: International Medical Graduates. As in from AUA, a Caribbean medical school; most students are US citizens or green card holders and do complete the third and fourth years in the US.

FMG: Foreign Medical Graduates. As in someone from India with an MBBS degree who wants to practice in the US. These applicants usually need visas, have already completed medical school, and will take the USMLE steps (1,2,3) and maybe other (i don't know the specific exams) exams to apply for a match in the US.

So to answer your question, AUA grads are considered IMGs and the requirements to apply for residency are usually just the USMLE Steps. Both IMG/FMG go through ECFMG to apply for residency and so on.

dhermon
05-15-2015, 07:29 AM
Vick is correct. AUA graduates are considered IMGs. There's additional paperwork to complete for ECFMG but no tests beyond what a US grad has to take for residency and licensure.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.