PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of Saba over SGU

thisismygenericusername
05-06-2015, 02:25 PM
Hello!
I know that I may get some biased reviews here (which I am totally ok with), but I was recently accepted to SGU and am pending my acceptance from Saba (I have an interview next week). I just can't seem to find any recent information on the curriculum, reviews of student life, etc. Saba was my first choice for a number of reasons (cost of living, the rather impressive Match list, living on a tiny island far from distractions), but SGU boasts the name recognition and, supposedly, a lower attrition rate. I have been trying to justify both schools in my mind, and I am honestly torn. For anyone that was in a similar situation, could you please enlighten me as to how you arrived at the decision to attend Saba?
Thank you for your time!

thxleave
05-06-2015, 05:44 PM
Hello!
I know that I may get some biased reviews here (which I am totally ok with), but I was recently accepted to SGU and am pending my acceptance from Saba (I have an interview next week). I just can't seem to find any recent information on the curriculum, reviews of student life, etc. Saba was my first choice for a number of reasons (cost of living, the rather impressive Match list, living on a tiny island far from distractions), but SGU boasts the name recognition and, supposedly, a lower attrition rate. I have been trying to justify both schools in my mind, and I am honestly torn. For anyone that was in a similar situation, could you please enlighten me as to how you arrived at the decision to attend Saba?
Thank you for your time!

Attrition rate not sure. The SGU attrition rate probably went up recently, so the statistics you got is a bit outdated. It went up recently. Also the decel rate (people doing 3 years) has gone up. What you really care about is average Step 1, and match rates. SGU match rate is alright, from what I seen from 4th years right now in clinicals. MOST people with Step 1 >205 US citizens, or Step 1 >215 FMG from SGU seems to match. Though that's specifically to the hospital I'm at, and students I know.

Overall, wherever you think will help you finish in 4 years, and do well on Step 1 is what you want. The size of campus matters more then you think. SGU seems to be bulging at it's sides, trying to contain all the students. The infrastructure is really meant for like 500 kids per term, but school is pushing it to 800 for some reasons $$$$. Clinicals at SGU is excellent. I rotated with some US DO, and US MD. (More US DO then, US MD). Name recognition is ok I suppose, but I seen SABA match pretty well. I don't think either school is better then others. Though SABA standard of living is much better it looks like. Living in Grenada is a struggle. A lot of things here and there that adds up.

laricb
05-06-2015, 07:42 PM
Attrition rate not sure. The SGU attrition rate probably went up recently, so the statistics you got is a bit outdated. It went up recently. Also the decel rate (people doing 3 years) has gone up. What you really care about is average Step 1, and match rates. SGU match rate is alright, from what I seen from 4th years right now in clinicals. MOST people with Step 1 >205 US citizens, or Step 1 >215 FMG from SGU seems to match. Though that's specifically to the hospital I'm at, and students I know.

Overall, wherever you think will help you finish in 4 years, and do well on Step 1 is what you want. The size of campus matters more then you think. SGU seems to be bulging at it's sides, trying to contain all the students. The infrastructure is really meant for like 500 kids per term, but school is pushing it to 800 for some reasons $$$$. Clinicals at SGU is excellent. I rotated with some US DO, and US MD. (More US DO then, US MD). Name recognition is ok I suppose, but I seen SABA match pretty well. I don't think either school is better then others. Though SABA standard of living is much better it looks like. Living in Grenada is a struggle. A lot of things here and there that adds up.

There is a reason why top students with high MCAT scores that can't get into a US MD School pick SGU. Bottom line its a better school all around.

Solenoid
05-09-2015, 11:18 PM
Depends if you're Canadian, and 50%+ of students here at Saba are Canadian. Because Canadian med school are so difficult to get into, there are several students with 30+ MCAT and 3.6+ GPAs who consistently pull up averages during exams. On the other hand, if you're Canadian, you'll feel a bit more comfortable I guess and Saba grads have the best chance of matching back to Canada. If you're from the states, then I can't really speak of which school is better.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.