PDA

View Full Version : Which option to choose? Please help.

student2015
03-24-2015, 10:24 PM
I'm going through a very stressful time. I am a Non-EU/Non-US citizen by the way.

My options are/were:
1-American med school in Qatar (it looks like the US residency match-rate currently hovers around 50%, and it's predicted that the number will decrease as the years go by, since more US med school will open up, and the ones already open will increase the number of seats in med schools--besides, more and more IMGs are applying for residencies, so more competition.) Besides no idea how doing a residency and later living in the middle east would work out.
2-Eastern/Central Europe - Hungarian and Polish med schools. (heard that Polish schools are decent, but Hungarian schools are better --the schools are accredited by the US-but not so sure about their residency match-rate in US, also not sure how foreign students get a residency spot in Poland or Hungary without having proficiency in the country's native language (as the residency-qualifying exams would be in Polish or Hungarian (?).)
3-Southern Europe - Italian schools. (heard that the quality of education is lower than Hungary -but Italy might have higher standards of living (because it's a G8 country etc.)
4-Australia (way too expensive, so cannot afford it)
5-Caribbean (not sure how things work out for Non-US/Non-Canadian folks when they apply for residencies in the US)

Thanks in advance for your insightful comments.
Student2015

Sari Daher
03-30-2015, 06:18 AM
hello,
Did you heard one about UPJS medical school in Slovakia-Kosice ? my advice try to check it .
contact this agency they will give you good and more info . af3medicine
good luck :)

kaptanofc
04-24-2015, 11:38 AM
New Zealand is a good option too, i am fun of it :)

student2015
04-30-2015, 05:32 AM
Do you have any info about New Zealand med schools, or, know a person who knows a person who has the information of a person who has any info about New Zealand med schools? :)
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

devildoc8404
04-30-2015, 06:24 PM
Simply put, if you cannot afford Oz then you also cannot afford NZ. Depending on the exchange rate you are looking at like 50,000 USD per year in fees. It would be a great place to study, though.

Do you have any info about New Zealand med schools, or, know a person who knows a person who has the information of a person who has any info about New Zealand med schools? :)
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

devildoc8404
04-30-2015, 06:37 PM
(And not for nothing, but if you think the application process for medical school is stressful? Holy hell, juuuuust wait for med school... or worse, residency.)

student2015
04-30-2015, 07:29 PM
Then NZ option goes straight out of the window. Thanks for clarification DevilDoc.

I can only imagine how stressful med school, and later on residency, would be. What is truly stressful about the med school application process, in my opinion, is whether I can "start to pave a way" in some sort of direction. Because everything is currently up in the air. I'm sure everything will get exponentially more difficult over time, but at least I will have a direction and I can use all my energy to strive to move forward.

Sorry about all the annotations and such, got a little emotional, lol :)

devildoc8404
05-01-2015, 10:40 AM
No worries. I definitely think that you are wise to begin with the proverbial end in mind, here. Far too many medical students just jump into the fray with no forethought regarding where they will be able/eligible to work afterward... and that can result in a professional train wreck.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.