PDA

View Full Version : Given my stats, what would be the best route for me to take at this point?

LordFlorianGeyer
03-22-2015, 10:56 AM
Hello everyone! So, I applied for allopathic (MD) medical schools this cycle (2014-2015) in the US. Things did not go well. I have received a total of 1 interview invite, 3 no-responses, and 12 pre-interview rejections. I am still waiting to hear back from the interview, but things do not look good for me at this point. My stats are as follows:
Overall GPA: 3.5
MCAT: 34
Sci GPA: 3.25 :(
Major: (A science field)
EC: A LOT of clinical research, paper/poster presentations, volunteering, school club work
Undergraduate: Ivy League school, class of 2015
Background: Lower middle-class family, Northeast USA

So, as far as I can see, my options are as follows:
0) Apply to Caribbean schools, MD schools, and DO schools again this June and work in a healthcare field for a year/take more classes maybe?
1) Apply to a Caribbean School for January admissions (might help me save a year of no school? I was thinking SGU but I'm concerned about safety.)
2) Work for an entire year and THEN re-apply?
3) Complete a Master's Degree and simultaneously re-apply?
4) Any other suggestions?

I have no prejudice against Caribbean schools but I'm very fearful about not being able to secure a residency in the United States and I'm also a little worried about my safety in the Caribbean. Is there a possibility to get a scholarship, though? DO schools might solve that problem, but I don't like the limitations it sets (lacking utility internationally). Thanks everyone...and sorry for the long post. I'm a little lost and it's just been really stressful for me this year - and the past three years. But, I'm not giving up on my dream! Any advice you give me is greatly appreciated.

Tipton
03-22-2015, 11:40 AM
With a large amount of applications (over 20?), you seem to have the right idea. Most schools will publish the typical background of the sorts of applicants they interview and accept: educational background, testing scores, clinical experience...etc. I've seen over and over again how frustrating it is to apply and be rejected. One thing to keep in mind with international med schools: they will remain an option for the foreseeable future no matter how long you pursue admission into US DO and MD programs.

LordFlorianGeyer
03-22-2015, 11:46 AM
With a large amount of applications (over 20?), you seem to have the right idea.

So, do you think I should give MD schools another shot along with the DO/Caribbean schools for the 2015-2016 cycle? Thanks for your input.

Tipton
03-22-2015, 12:00 PM
You'll be accepted to any Caribbean school you apply for. Probably even some of the Irish or UK programs as well depending on your performance on the interview. I would only apply outside the US if I have given up on being accepted into US schools.

Lyndal @ UOW
03-24-2015, 07:34 AM
You'd certainly be eligible for Australian schools like ours as well.

LordFlorianGeyer
03-24-2015, 02:35 PM
You'd certainly be eligible for Australian schools like ours as well.

Hey there. Thank you so much for your reply. If you don't mind, would you please be able to provide me with some information or forward me to some links to Australian schools? I'm not very familiar with the medical school system in Australia or how the process works. But, I'd be very eager to learn.

Lyndal @ UOW
03-24-2015, 09:34 PM
Feel free to message me here or email me on [email protected] - I am head of admissions at the University of Wollongong and can explain to you about schools in Australia in general and UOW in particular. Feel free to follow us on FB and twitter also we are https://twitter.com/UOWMedAdmission on twitter and http://www.facebook.com/UOWMedAdmission on Facebook. Happy to help.

LordFlorianGeyer
03-25-2015, 10:19 AM
Thank you very much!

kaptanofc
04-24-2015, 11:37 AM
wouww very exciting grades, congrats

LordFlorianGeyer
10-04-2015, 08:58 AM
Thanks very much. :)

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.