PDA

View Full Version : Retake or Apply?

imtoofast
02-27-2015, 11:10 AM
Just took my mcat and it didn't turn out as well as I had expected. I am looking for advice regarding applying to SGU starting Fall 2016. I am concerned about residency matches in the future. I was hoping to hear from students and how they felt studying at this school. How are the profs.? How is the academic atmosphere? Hows the social setting? etc... Please feel free to share any experiences you had.

GPA: 3.5+
MCAT: 25+

Dr. Fatalis
02-28-2015, 08:37 PM
Just took my mcat and it didn't turn out as well as I had expected. I am looking for advice regarding applying to SGU starting Fall 2016. I am concerned about residency matches in the future. I was hoping to hear from students and how they felt studying at this school. How are the profs.? How is the academic atmosphere? Hows the social setting? etc... Please feel free to share any experiences you had.

GPA: 3.5+
MCAT: 25+

If that is your current stats; retake MCAT and blow it out of the water! Reapply to DO/MD american schools and you should get in [heck even take post-bac classes to improve your gpa...it couldnt hurt!]

imtoofast
03-02-2015, 06:53 PM
If that is your current stats; retake MCAT and blow it out of the water! Reapply to DO/MD american schools and you should get in [heck even take post-bac classes to improve your gpa...it couldnt hurt!]

I would be taking 2 gap years if I did that. Is it worth it to take gaps than go to the Caribbean? I was only looking at SGU or AUC only.

Rypto
03-02-2015, 07:33 PM
Most people (especially on forums) would say it is worth it to take the gap year(s) to apply to US schools. Around 95% of US med graduates obtain a residency in the US as compared to around 50 of IMGs. Some people also say that this 50% will decrease over time due to the increasing number of US allopathic and osteopathic schools. But, this number has stayed about constant over the last few years and nobody can truly predict the future.

I say this: if you are confident in your ability to study hard and be in the top 50% of IMGs, then save yourself the two years of anxiousness and impatience and start med school in the Carib. If you are unsure, then I would wait and apply to US schools. As Fatalis mentioned, you do have a good GPA and retaking the MCAT can gain you a seat at a US MD or DO school (both of which will give you a better shot at a US residency than any international school).

Also just wondering, since you already have your MCAT score, why don't you consider the August 2015 class at SGU instead of the August 2016?

tkm2323
03-03-2015, 10:28 PM
I would be taking 2 gap years if I did that. Is it worth it to take gaps than go to the Caribbean? I was only looking at SGU or AUC only.

Take the gap. i made the mistake of going the route you are considering. My SGU interviewer told me to retake the MCAT and apply to US schools. I felt like I was old and didn't want to have a gap year so I jumped on a plane to SGU instead. Love it here, and love the people, but its still not a US school no matter how much love you put into it.

Dr. Fatalis
03-04-2015, 10:36 AM

doesnt matter with the carib; you are still labelled an IMG and that hurts you big time!
An AMG has many possibilities and residency isnt an issue, its more of "where will I match/what will I match into" rather than "I hope I match". The stats are scary TBH! I know several of my friends with great scores, etc who applied to 150+ programs with only 8-9 interviews [that is considered good these days].

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.