PDA

View Full Version : SGUSOM: Incoming August 2015 Class forum

HotShots213
02-03-2015, 03:43 PM
Sorry if there is already one of these floating around (feel free to post the link to it if there is!)

Anyway, I'm thrilled to say that I will be attending SGUSOM starting August 2015 (unless I get in somewhere else in the US which is unlikely [<-- unfortunate to say...]... but hey... I'll take what I can get because I just want to practice medicine! "I am Jack's last resort" <-- Fight club reference) I'd like this forum to be an opportunity to start getting to know other prospectives of this class and exchange ideas, advice, tips, stories, and just help each other mentally and emotionally prepare for this next step in our lives! I guess I'll start...

I won't give my name other than just "Al" cause there are definitely some crazy people on these forums hah.. so if you care to know, just send me a message or something. I'm 26. I'm from Jacksonville, FL. I got a Bio degree at Florida State University and then a Medical Science Masters at University of South Florida. For those that are curious, I got accepted with a [GPA 3.41cum, 3.31sci, MCAT: same as my age.... Medical Science Master's GPA 3.68]. I showed an upward trend starting my senior year of undergrad. I did research in Tumor virology and also was a lab instructor for Biology for non-majors. Did a medical science master's after undergrad cause I felt I needed a boost. Worked as an ER physician scribe for the past 3 yrs. Also recently engaged and my fiance is coming to SGU with me as a significant other!!! (so if there is anyone in THAT particular boat, definitely let me know)! I'm looking forward to hearing from more of you guys/gals!

PM for the link to the fb group page.

MSUSpartan2015
02-03-2015, 08:05 PM
Hey, what's up Al? Congrats on your admittance to SGU! �� I had my interview on the 29th and am hoping that I will be getting an acceptance. I was told to expect word by this Friday, give or take a day or two. I haven't heard about the tour that you mentioned in your post. How is that supposed to work?

HotShots213
02-04-2015, 03:27 AM
What's up! Yeah, I had my interview on 1/27 and got my acceptance on 2/2, so I'm sure you'll be hearing back soon. Good luck with that. I went to an info sesh and one of the admission consultants/speakers said that if you choose to matriculate into SGUSOM, they will cover airfare expenses so you can tour...which is great cuz the 1st deposit ($500) is due 2 wks from acceptance and another ($1400) due in May. I don't know about yours but my round trip out of Jacksonville, FL is $800-$900. Anyway, definitely let me know how it goes. Good luck again.

MSUSpartan2015
02-04-2015, 11:23 AM
Will do. I'm sitting over here on pins and needles while I await the decision. I pray that it will come out in my favor and hopefully in the next few days, I will be in here saying that I'll be joinging you in August!

ehtorkildsen
02-04-2015, 11:39 AM
Just got acceptance yesterday for Fall 2015. Anyone know if there is a Facebook page up and running?

MSUSpartan2015
02-04-2015, 11:42 AM
Congrats ehtorkildsen! Did your acceptance notice come via email, snail mail, or both?

ehtorkildsen
02-04-2015, 12:06 PM
E-mail first, with acceptance package coming in the mail!

HotShots213
02-04-2015, 07:00 PM
Just got acceptance yesterday for Fall 2015. Anyone know if there is a Facebook page up and running?

congrats! I didn't find one so I just made one "SGUSOM August 2015 Entering Class". If you come across other prospectives, definitely let them know. I'm gonna start another forum on studentdoc

ehtorkildsen
02-04-2015, 07:49 PM
Is it public? Can't find it on Facebook!

MSUSpartan2015
02-05-2015, 12:14 PM
What's up! Yeah, I had my interview on 1/27 and got my acceptance on 2/2, so I'm sure you'll be hearing back soon. Good luck with that. I went to an info sesh and one of the admission consultants/speakers said that if you choose to matriculate into SGUSOM, they will cover airfare expenses so you can tour...which is great cuz the 1st deposit ($500) is due 2 wks from acceptance and another ($1400) due in May. I don't know about yours but my round trip out of Jacksonville, FL is $800-$900. Anyway, definitely let me know how it goes. Good luck again.

Unfortunately, I didn't get offered a seat at SGU for August 2015 ... But I did get one for January 2016!!!! :clapover: I'm thrilled to be starting medical school!

ehtorkildsen
02-05-2015, 12:46 PM
Congrats. What are your plans for the fall? I ask just because maybe it might be a good idea to take a class of two to help not only advance your foundations but to keep you in "school mode". I don't know what your experience is but, for instance, last semester I took a course in the physical therapy department where we got to dissect cadavers and really intense gross anatomy, something that I feel would help me. This semester I am doing metabolism in the biochemistry dept. I'm finishing up my MS but these are classes I took in addition because I fet they would help me.

Like I said, I don't know what your plans are but maybe something similar may be an option if you don't have a FT job and are not in school. Anyways, best of luck!

MSUSpartan2015
02-05-2015, 12:51 PM
Congrats. What are your plans for the fall? I ask just because maybe it might be a good idea to take a class of two to help not only advance your foundations but to keep you in "school mode". I don't know what your experience is but, for instance, last semester I took a course in the physical therapy department where we got to dissect cadavers and really intense gross anatomy, something that I feel would help me. This semester I am doing metabolism in the biochemistry dept. I'm finishing up my MS but these are classes I took in addition because I fet they would help me.

Like I said, I don't know what your plans are but maybe something similar may be an option if you don't have a FT job and are not in school. Anyways, best of luck!

Thanks! This fall, I will continue working of course but I would also like to take the gross anatomy course offered by my undergraduate alma mater. Though its offered for PT students and nurses, it will make for a VERY good refresher for me. I also have all of my notes and texts for biochem and physiology from grad school. I will review those two subjects as well.

thxleave
02-05-2015, 01:05 PM
Thanks! This fall, I will continue working of course but I would also like to take the gross anatomy course offered by my undergraduate alma mater. Though its offered for PT students and nurses, it will make for a VERY good refresher for me. I also have all of my notes and texts for biochem and physiology from grad school. I will review those two subjects as well.

Nah don't even bother. Medical Biochem, Physio, and Gross anatomy so different. The stuff they teach and test is a bit different. Just work and enjoy your time.

ehtorkildsen
02-05-2015, 02:41 PM
Medical school I did research at, I got to know a lot of the teachers and sit in on quite a few classes. That, mixed with what friends in school have told me, what's different about gross anatomy? Not being confrontational at all, so don't take it that way! I'm genuinely curious as to your opinion. It seems like being able to dissect a cadaver before going in would be a great opportunity. I'm certainly glad I did it, and I don't see how it would be a bad thing. Thanks

thxleave
02-05-2015, 04:20 PM
Medical school I did research at, I got to know a lot of the teachers and sit in on quite a few classes. That, mixed with what friends in school have told me, what's different about gross anatomy? Not being confrontational at all, so don't take it that way! I'm genuinely curious as to your opinion. It seems like being able to dissect a cadaver before going in would be a great opportunity. I'm certainly glad I did it, and I don't see how it would be a bad thing. Thanks

Had someone that taught gross anatomy at local community college almost failed anatomy at SGU. Dude was like a few points away.

The thing is that there is a lot to remember. Some will think that memorizing everything will get them through the class, but don't realize the medical relevance of some of the things. Like splenic flexture having ischemic problems. Or like what happens when one of nerves in brachial plexus is damaged. I never learned where where the nerve course through body except classical presentation like "surgical neck of humerus". But take as you well.

ehtorkildsen
02-05-2015, 04:40 PM
Yeah, I suppose it's all anecdotal. I think, however, there is a difference in taking a course in your schools physical therapy department and at a community college, where there is probably more clinical relevance placed in one. Just my opinion. appreciate your input!

thxleave
02-05-2015, 07:43 PM
Yeah, I suppose it's all anecdotal. I think, however, there is a difference in taking a course in your schools physical therapy department and at a community college, where there is probably more clinical relevance placed in one. Just my opinion. appreciate your input!

Well regardless. It's all fine. Everybody got different study methods and so on. I believe SGU now require you to do those Anatomy Sakai stuff before the term starts anyways.

HotShots213
02-06-2015, 07:51 AM

Yeah congrats MSUSpartan, must be a huge relief. Also, January seems like a (relatively) less stressful route... with less students and more step 1 study time.

HotShots213
02-06-2015, 08:12 AM
Here's the link for the facebook group page.

The name of the group is "SGUSOM August 2015 Entering Class". For some reason, it's hard to find when you search for it???? Bleh, let me know about your issues in a PM or something. Feel free to use the link I just posted and give to other prospectives.

As for the anatomy:

I did a crash course in my medical science master's program. Dissected a Cadaver (named him Master Chief cause he was a military veteran). OH yea, identification and applied concepts are extremely difficult and even moreso if you tackle it without help from a 2nd or 3rd eye.

HotShots213
02-06-2015, 08:13 AM
I couldn't post the link cause it wouldn't let me without posting 20 times on this thread??? bizarre. PM me for the link to the fb group page I guess.

SurgicalMonkey
02-21-2015, 04:09 PM
Had someone that taught gross anatomy at local community college almost failed anatomy at SGU. Dude was like a few points away.

The thing is that there is a lot to remember. Some will think that memorizing everything will get them through the class, but don't realize the medical relevance of some of the things. Like splenic flexture having ischemic problems. Or like what happens when one of nerves in brachial plexus is damaged. I never learned where where the nerve course through body except classical presentation like "surgical neck of humerus". But take as you well.

I agree with you entirely...most students get so caught up with naming proximal and distal attachments that they lose complete sight of the clinical relevance. Anatomy is like 5% at best on Step 1 and it's all the clinically relevant questions. How many times I've seen a winged scapula question....and yet never once in clinical practice.

ipseama
02-21-2015, 10:28 PM
Hey guys (and gals),
I will be joining you all in Grenada in the fall. If any of you are coming with your family, I would love to chat. I am bringing my kid with me and looking for some people to get to know before making the transition down there.

Melissa Andrews
02-24-2015, 09:44 PM
not yet but there should be one up soon :)

toothsweet
02-24-2015, 11:49 PM
I got in to for AUG 2015 but I am confused with the 4 years graduation plan. What is the difference between semesters 1-5 and the clinical years? Do the clinical years have less studying? Also SGU says it is a 4 year med program with 1-5 semesters on the island but does 5 semesters mean 2.5 years because they say 20 months. I am just really confused about the timeline of the 4 years. Can someone explain please. I looked on the website but it was not clear..semesters 3 and 4 only had a 1 week break in between.

CMD
02-26-2015, 12:53 AM
I agree. I think all you have to know about Anatomy for Step 1 are covered by Uworld's anatomy section. But to do well and gain confidence at SGU, people might want to do well in Anatomy as many of my classmates had trouble in the class.
And for those who really want to prep for first term, I would suggest getting your hands on Kaplan videos for step 1 and watch materials related to first term classes plus physiology. Don't spend extra money to take extra college courses, it won't help much. And if you are really motivated after watching those vids, get some BRS books and do the questions. You'll probably be more prepared than anyone at SGU. Many of the lectures on Kaplan vids are better than the ones you sit in for at SGU. So.... just my two cents, in retrospect.

kemz92
03-21-2015, 01:11 PM
Hey Al,

Congratulations on both your acceptance and recent engagement.

I am waiting to hear back..hoping to join you all in the Fall.

I stumbled on this page a few days ago, thought it'd be great for your fiance.
Significant Others of SGU https://www.facebook.com/groups/SOOSGU/

kemz92
03-21-2015, 01:14 PM
no it is a definite 2 years for terms 1-5. some courses are taken over the summer depending on when you start. and yea might have only a short break between the terms.

Zeppelin87
03-30-2015, 05:48 PM
Explanation of the terms:

If you start in Aug class:

Aug 2015-Dec 2015 - Term 1 (approx 2-4 weeks off for Christmas)
Jan 2016-April 2016 - Term 2 (approx 6 weeks off after this)
June 2016-Dec 2016 - Term 3 and Term 4 (approx 2-4 weeks off for Christmas)
Jan 2017-May 2017 - Term 5

If you stay on target after term 5, you will study for your Step 1 and start clinicals around August-Sept of 2017. 3rd year is structured and will be arranged by the school. It will finish around the end of July of 2018. Then you start your 4th year which is less structured and catered to what you want and when you want to do it. For the August class time is of the essence, and there is less wiggle room than the January class which essentially has 4.5 years to do what you guys will do in 3 years and 8 months.

I know these dates are vague and are based on my schedule, I started Aug 2011. I am about to finish my clinical rotations and graduate. If you have questions about anything please feel free to ask. I'm a little rustier on GND life but I loved my time on the island. Best wishes and congrats.

EDIT: Also because someone will ask, yes I matched into my top choice residency program and I'm starting PGY1 in July. This year, the Jan 2011 and Aug 2011 classes combined to match more than 800 students. I know there is lots of talk about the future of IMGs and this is a debate that my friends and I continue to discuss. Myself and many of my classmates are deeply invested in keeping SGU viable well into the future and I wish you all success.

UrgentFury
04-01-2015, 07:05 PM
Hi all, looks like I'm a new admit for August 2015:

3.35 Undergrad GPA (Ouch) / 2.3 Law School GPA (Yikes) / 3.65 Post-baccalaureate Science GPA and 35 MCAT.

Looking forward to studying medicine with you guys. See ya on the rock!

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.