PDA

View Full Version : General information for students attending MDS in Gdansk

The.Arbor
01-26-2015, 03:40 PM
Hi,

I am from Sweden and will be attending medical school in Gdansk (year 2015). I thought it would be a great idea for us people attending to share some general information with eachother (e.g info. about entrance examination).

Here is some information I have gathered (links)
Entrance exam (Chemistry & Biology, updated 2014)
h t t p : / / a d m i s s i o n . m u g . e d u . p l / 1 0 7 2 3 . h t m l

List of recommended books (from year I to VI, updated 2015)
h t t p : / / w w w . b i b l i o t e k a . g u m e d . e d u . p l / e n / ? s t r o n a = 1 9

Example of a schedule (first grade in Gdansk, 2014)
h t t p : / / i m g u r . c o m / D I y E c D H

If you have any further information, please free to post it here.

*The colours obviously represent the different courses; and the students are divided into different groups (1-20+).

lillymed123
03-12-2015, 09:37 AM
Do you know where i could possiblly purchase the books to study for the entrance exam?

The.Arbor
03-12-2015, 11:18 AM
There are for example numerous of internet-based retail merchants (e.g Amazon) where you can buy all kinds of books.

I have a lot of friends that passed the entrance exam by just reading about the respective topic in the internet (e.g google, youtube).

By the way, where are you from? If you need any help with the material don't mind sending me a PM.

Topics for biology:
Cells, structure and function, cell divisions. Prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells. Mendel’s laws, segregation and independent assortment. Alleles, homozygotes, heterozygotes. Genotype and phenotype. Molecular basis of heredity. DNA, replication, genetic code. RNA. Protein synthesis. Reproduction and development. External and internal fertilisation; cleavage, blastula formation, gastrulation, neurulation. Structure and function of the human body.

Topics for Chemistry:
International system of units. Matter and properties. Elements, compounds and mixtures. Periodic Table. Isotopes. Symbols and formulas. Chemical equations. Atoms, molecules and moles. Mass unit. Laws of chemical combination. Avogadro’s number and the mole. Ideal Gas Laws. Writing empirical and structural formulas – acids, bases and salts. Balancing chemical reactions. Calculations based on chemical equations. Stoichiometry. Molar and normal concentration – calculations. Ionisation reactions, reactions between ions. Oxidation number. Redox reactions – balancing. Alkanes naming, structural isomers, reactions. Alkynes. Aromatic compounds. Benzene, nitration. Ortho, meta, para-isomerism. Alcohols, reactions, oxidation. Phenols. Aldehydes and ketones. Carboxylic acids, derivates – esters and amides. Carbohydrates – fructose, glucose, sucrose. Lipids. Fatty acids. Triglycerides – formation and hydrolysis. Proteins, nucleic acids – general view.

afid
03-30-2016, 07:39 AM
Hello The.Arbor,

Could you please answer these questions? :) It would really help me out.

Thank you so much!

Greetings from Oslo, Norway. ;)

Hello everyone!

I was accepted into MUG - Medical University of Gdansk. I am very excited about studying medicine but since this medical school is not so popular yet it has been difficult to find out a lot of information about how things actually work for students there.

All I know is that most of the students in the English division come from Scandinavia (mostly Sweden in fact), students are divided into groups of 10 in the beginning of 1st year (and each group has its own schedule), and 60% is the minimum required to pass an exam. Besides this, I don't know much more.

These are the questions I'd ask someone who studies in Gdansk (so please give me some feedback if you are a student there):

Where do we buy the books? Do we get a list of books we should by in the beginning of the year?
Do we have to pay any taxes/fees on the books we buy from amazon.com for example?
How many chances (in total) does one have to pass an exam?
Are we required to pass midterm exams in order to qualify for the final exam?
Are the exams mostly oral or written?
Are the lectures worth to attend for the most part? Is it OK to ask questions in class or should we just figure it out on our own most of the time?
Do students have access to a good library in the main campus? Are any of these opened until late in the evening?

When I took the entrance exam the Head Professor of Anatomy talked a little bit about the university and apparently 2 big buildings are under construction and will be ready in about 2 years. These will offer the most advanced technology he recommended everyone who is thinking about surgery of some kind. Nonetheless, the medical hospital where students have their training is still very new (2012). I hope it's a good school.
The professors seemed to be very professional and capable regardless the lack visibility of this medical school in particular.

Has anyone already been accepted to MUG? Are you actually going to study there? Anyone outside Scandinavia keeping an eye on MUG?
I hope so!

I look forward to meeting the medical aspirants of 2016!

Cheers! Cheers! Cheers!

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.