PDA

View Full Version : MBBS in Germany

kssgopal
01-16-2015, 12:39 AM
Hai friends, I am purusing various options for better international medical education (MBBS) with respect to Quality and standard. I have been told that GERMANY medical education's standards and quality are at par with US & UK. Also, Germany doctors are regarded very well around world.I know that complete education is in German language.
In this backdrop, can anybody suggest the experience with Germany MEdical education (MBBS).
My another doubt is after completing the MBBS program in Germany, will those doctors be comfortable with respect to medical terminology in English?
Also will they be successful at USMLE step 1/2/3?
Please advice.

devildoc8404
01-16-2015, 12:14 PM
While you are correct that German medical schools are excellent and certainly on par with UK/US standards, you are asking questions that are impossible to answer. I did not study in Germany, but I work in Switzerland with a large number of German-educated colleagues, and their education level as physicians is terrific.

However, the varying levels of fluency in English are an individual thing and have nothing to do with the quality of their German medical education. Some of my German-trained colleagues speak English with near-native fluency, while others are at a significantly lower level. Those who have a high level of medical terminology are those who have taken the time to educate themselves thusly.

Success in the USMLE Steps is not the focus of German medical education, and the education is not tailored to these examinations, but the basic level of knowledge for a German physician is certainly such that (with adequate preparation for and familiarity with the exam) one can do quite well, indeed. Obviously, students from German medical schools who do not speak English fluently are highly likely to crash and burn on the USMLE, if they were to take it... but that is not a reflection on the medical education they received.

On the good side, if your son is smart enough to get into a German medical school, the fees are extremely reasonable and the quality of education is top notch. Whether or not he can parlay that into a residency in the US will depend on his English abilities, how well he performs as a student, how well he tests (USMLE), how well he interviews, and what the US residency match environment looks like when he completes his medical degree.

kssgopal
01-16-2015, 10:53 PM
Dear friend I sincerely thank you for your well detailed information. Your information has given the confidence. Definitely I shall retain as second best option. I am an Indian. Kindly answer me the following also.
1. Have you come across any Indian doctor/student who did medicine in Germany and his feedback? Their feedback helps me in assessing the German language learning issues.
2. If you come across any German doctor, who is successful in USMLEs..get his experience also.

While you are correct that German medical schools are excellent and certainly on par with UK/US standards, you are asking questions that are impossible to answer. I did not study in Germany, but I work in Switzerland with a large number of German-educated colleagues, and their education level as physicians is terrific.

However, the varying levels of fluency in English are an individual thing and have nothing to do with the quality of their German medical education. Some of my German-trained colleagues speak English with near-native fluency, while others are at a significantly lower level. Those who have a high level of medical terminology are those who have taken the time to educate themselves thusly.

Success in the USMLE Steps is not the focus of German medical education, and the education is not tailored to these examinations, but the basic level of knowledge for a German physician is certainly such that (with adequate preparation for and familiarity with the exam) one can do quite well, indeed. Obviously, students from German medical schools who do not speak English fluently are highly likely to crash and burn on the USMLE, if they were to take it... but that is not a reflection on the medical education they received.

On the good side, if your son is smart enough to get into a German medical school, the fees are extremely reasonable and the quality of education is top notch. Whether or not he can parlay that into a residency in the US will depend on his English abilities, how well he performs as a student, how well he tests (USMLE), how well he interviews, and what the US residency match environment looks like when he completes his medical degree.

devildoc8404
01-17-2015, 04:02 PM
Yes, there are ethnic-Indian docs at my hospital who studied in Germany. Several, in fact (emergency medicine, surgery, internal medicine, etc.). There is also one who studied in the US and now works here in Switzerland.

PLENTY of German-trained physicians have done very well on the USMLE. That is the least of your worries. The biggest factors in USMLE performance for a German grad are 1) English fluency, and 2) sufficient exam-specific preparation. The knowledge base itself is generally not a problem.

kssgopal
01-18-2015, 07:18 AM
Hai friend, again your information has released all my ambiguities. It's not that I am interested towards US education. Yes, it is very good place to learn and work. However, no doubts on the quality and standards of Germany education & living conditions too. Ofcourse all our AUDIs, MERCEDIS, BMWs, AIRBUS, SIEMENS and even software products like SAP are from Germany only. The only barrier that I felt is language. I will put my son into German language programs here and let me assess how he is comfortable. If yes, my first option will be German Medicual Education.
I oncegain sincerely thank you for your support.

devildoc8404
01-18-2015, 07:36 AM
In order to be competitive for a spot in a German medical school, your son will need to speak C2-level German. Bear that in mind. If he gets to that point, and can get accepted to a German school, then that places you both in a very good position, indeed. While the level of training is excellent, the tuition fees at German medical schools are extremely low.

Good luck.

kssgopal
01-18-2015, 07:53 AM
Yes, I shall take note of your input on competency level required for language.
When I consulted Indian and UAE educational consultants, they said the course is for 7 years. The following is the sequence.

The 1st yr being the foundation, w.r.t language and the subjects.
For this program the student will have to study in Germany so that it will be much easy for him to reach required competency levels.
On successful completion, the student will have to write the entrance examination of the relevent university and accordinlgy admission will be provided.
The medicine education program is for 6 yrs.

Do you see any hidden risk between point no 2 & 3? (i.e, getting success at entrance exam for Medical university admission)
Pl advice.

devildoc8404
01-18-2015, 10:43 AM
Of course there is a risk, and it is not hidden. The risk is that the kid does not learn to speak German well enough to gain admission to the medical school, and/or s/he does not have the requisite exam scores to matriculate. That is the challenge inherent to studying medicine in a competitive environment.

Yes, I shall take note of your input on competency level required for language.
When I consulted Indian and UAE educational consultants, they said the course is for 7 years. The following is the sequence.

The 1st yr being the foundation, w.r.t language and the subjects.
For this program the student will have to study in Germany so that it will be much easy for him to reach required competency levels.
On successful completion, the student will have to write the entrance examination of the relevent university and accordinlgy admission will be provided.
The medicine education program is for 6 yrs.

Do you see any hidden risk between point no 2 & 3? (i.e, getting success at entrance exam for Medical university admission)
Pl advice.

kssgopal
01-18-2015, 10:54 AM
Thanks for clarifying again.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.