PDA

View Full Version : Living/Studying in Gdansk

Jessica89
01-12-2015, 01:55 PM
Hi Everyone! I've been thinking of applying to the Gdansk Medical University for some time now, and it seems that im getting closer and closer to making a decision :D I've been doing a lot of research - mainly looking at medschools.eu... uncle google and facebook
So now i've found this forum, and i was thinking of asking some questions before i make the final application etc.
How is the cost of living in Gdansk?
What about free time?? Could anyone give me an insight into the “student’s life” in Gdansk?

Thanks!

reichmann
01-13-2015, 01:34 PM
Well it depends on what you mean by student life. For someone this might be just going out to clubs and having fun, while for others it's study study study. Nevertheless, as far as my personal experience, its been very positive. Even though the university is based in Gdansk, it has some departments in the tricity area (Gdynia and Sopot) - so thats a very nice thing to be able to travel during school hours : ) And its pretty cool too - maritime medicine (bariatric chambers etc.), tropical medicine, parasitology - all those departments are in gdynia, very close to the sea - you can get a breath of fresh air (literally ; P)

Jessica89
01-13-2015, 02:08 PM
Thanks so much for your answer! That sounds interesting! What about the cost of living?

AaronBlack
01-13-2015, 03:05 PM
did you find the exam difficult, you like the school? I have been to Sopot once, its a good party spot. Do you find time to party though?

MDJohn87
01-14-2015, 04:19 PM
Hey Guys! Im new to the forum (well a new member, but i've observed this forum for quite some time).

I absolutely agree with Riechmann regarding the student life (as you referred to it ^^). There is absolutely no comparision between living in Gdansk and Warsaw or Krakow for example. Out of these 3 of the most prestigous medical schools in Poland, the living cost is definately cheapest in Gdansk. If you were to live in Sopot - then probably you would have payed more than in Warsaw or Krakow.

The best thing is, that most apartments are newly built - so the quality is absolutely jolly nice indeed. And if you choose to live in the older and more atmospheric part of Gdansk, then you will find renovated apartments in really (reeaaalllyy) good nick.

AaronBlack
01-14-2015, 04:49 PM
the best thing is, to get into the school first - so any ideas??

duzzy
01-16-2015, 04:40 PM
the best thing is, to get into the school first - so any ideas??

Depends on where you are from.

reichmann
01-19-2015, 04:43 PM
Dizzy, what do you mean ? : )

duzzy
01-19-2015, 05:31 PM
If you are from the US or Canada then obviously you are better off first trying to get into a school in your home country. Also, if US financial aid is a personal requirement when choosing a school then I would really reconsider studying abroad. Thanks to all those scamversities in the Caribbeans they have gotten really strict on which schools they fund. Almost all of the schools in Poland lost loans. Lublin still has them but that's only because those as*h*les from Hope Medical Institute pick and choose who they allow to take the USMLE.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.