PDA

View Full Version : Deciding which NBME to take for Step 1 studying?

lonepair
01-06-2015, 10:12 PM
A few questions on NBME as a resource for Step 1 prep:

How did you choose which NBME's to do during your step 1 prep?
How many did you make time to do?
Do you recommend getting the extended feedback option?

Thanks.

thxleave
01-07-2015, 02:41 AM
Extended feedback is mandatory. Best way to learn. I did all the NBME. I figured I am in debt already.... if another 500-700 dollars ensure I'm more prepared. Also do the free 150 on usmle site.

thxleave
01-07-2015, 06:47 PM
I felt NBME was the best tool for assessment on your study path. Originally I did DIT and scored a few points lowered on NBME compared to school NBME. I later shifted less focus on DIT (still use it) but more onto UWorld+FA. I did a lot better, and felt there was room for improvement. And notice my pathology was weak due to NBME history, and then focused using Pathoma also. I used the NBME to find weak points on my studying, and reflect why I missed a problem.

"This is a straight up memorization problem.... More FA is needed"
"A comprehension problem, but knowledge was there. Need to focus on UWorld"
"This NBME I missed a lot of cardio. Let me skim DIT cardio plus all the resources on it"

People seem to dwell on missed problems on NBME and let them affect their performance. I wouldn't worry about it, until you are half way into your Step 1 schedule. If you don't see improvement gradually, I would hesitate though and think why am I missing these problems.

Extended feedback is good, because you can see what problems you miss. Check your mental process why you miss it, and learn the correct answer for question with some googling like NBME 15 "insert sentence from question you miss"

My Step 1 has some variants of questions in the NBME. It isn't going to be verbatim, but the stuff they ask is similar. There wasn't anything (well maybe like a TOTAL of 10 questions) that I didn't see in any of my studying. So most questions that were hard, I was able to get it to a 50/50 situation.

Best of luck lonepair! I know you can do it.

Dr. Fatalis
01-13-2015, 06:09 PM
do every NBME [even the retired ones as they are still good questions]. I did them once every 2 weeks to see my progress and to tackle my weaker areas. THESE are assessments not uworld!

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.