PDA

View Full Version : Debrecen University, any advise?

TARAK
12-02-2014, 07:02 AM
I am starting the Debrecen Med School (1st year) next academic year. I am coming from Canada where Medicine Study is highly competitive and the chances to get a registration are minim. It would be great if someone who is studying there could give me practical advises before landing.

kam2020
12-02-2014, 08:10 AM
Why you have chosen Debrecen Med School? Have you done high school or a bachelor's degree?

My son is a high school student in Canada as well. He is interested in going to a medical school. Is there any benefit of earning a bachelorís degree i.e. BSc degree before or an MD degree? Would directly going (after fulfilling pre-med requirements) to a medical school after completing a high school has any negatives?

TARAK
12-02-2014, 08:17 AM
I am finishing my college last year. (in Montreal : CEGEP). Regarding the BSc it is not required to enter to medicine program i Europe. For taht reason Ive choose Debrecen.

kam2020
12-02-2014, 08:34 AM
Is this a pre med or md program? Have you taken MCAT? are you planning to return back to Montreal, Canada after graduating. Is this school accredited in Canada? Should'nt you will have difficulty in getting a residency in Canada?

TARAK
12-02-2014, 11:16 AM
Is this a pre med or md program? Have you taken MCAT? are you planning to return back to Montreal, Canada after graduating. Is this school accredited in Canada? Should'nt you will have difficulty in getting a residency in Canada?

No this is not premed. it's a edicine program starting from year 1 to year 7.

kam2020
12-02-2014, 12:08 PM
7 years - it is very long program. Is this school accredited in Canada? Would you able to practice in Canada?

devildoc8404
12-04-2014, 12:21 AM
Look at the match rates for foreign medical graduates in Canada -- even among Canadian citizens! This information is readily available on the internet.

In one recent year the match rate was single digits, as in less than 10% of foreign-graduated applicants matched into a Canadian residency program.

This is no freaking joke. Take the time to research this very carefully, and take all recruiters' promises and information with a grain of salt.

kam2020
12-04-2014, 07:13 AM
So what is your plan? After graduation where you going to practice?

devildoc8404
12-04-2014, 10:30 AM
Not sure who you are asking, here.

If you meant me, I graduated two years ago from a Bulgarian program and am now in residency in Switzerland. The one Canadian in my graduating class matched into a US residency (she also has US citizenship), and the other American from my class also matched in the US. One other classmate is in residency in Germany. The rest of my class are in medical training limbo and/or still in Bulgaria, as far as I can ascertain.

No idea what TARAK's plans entail...

kam2020
12-04-2014, 10:53 AM
Which university are you graduated from? Would earning a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) after an M.D. degree from non US/Canadian school be helpful? Would this compensate for an undergrad degree? His point is that it is a waste of time to look for a spot in US/Canadian med school, since this is highly competitive.

Not sure who you are asking, here.

If you meant me, I graduated two years ago from a Bulgarian program and am now in residency in Switzerland. The one Canadian in my graduating class matched into a US residency (she also has US citizenship), and the other American from my class also matched in the US. One other classmate is in residency in Germany. The rest of my class are in medical training limbo and/or still in Bulgaria, as far as I can ascertain.

No idea what TARAK's plans entail...

TARAK
12-05-2014, 12:17 AM
Which university are you graduated from? Would earning a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) after an M.D. degree from non US/Canadian school be helpful? Would this compensate for an undergrad degree? His point is that it is a waste of time to look for a spot in US/Canadian med school, since this is highly competitive.

Dear Kam2020
It is my turn to ask you what is your advise in all this history? What your son's plan?

kam2020
12-05-2014, 06:33 AM
Dear Kam2020
It is my turn to ask you what is your advise in all this history? What your son's plan?

Since he is in high school, almost all of the responses in this form telling me he should first try to get into med school in US/Canada, and if this does not work out then pursue foreign med schools. He still has couple of years to decide.

devildoc8404
12-05-2014, 01:52 PM
Completing a PhD after medical school means x amount of years away from clinical practice... which is not likely to make someone a more viable candidate for matching into residency. In addition, the viability of a Caribbean medical degree as a prerequisite for many PhD programs is likely to be uncertain, at best.

Further, a PhD is a hell of a lot of work (says the simultaneous resident and PhD candidate who is only able to do something that foolish because he works in Europe and things are different here).

If your kid thinks that the competition for getting into medical school is tough, have him run the bloody numbers on medical school admissions vs. Canadian FMG match rates. The chances are significantly (significantly) higher for getting into medical school in Canada or the US. Trying to match in the US as a Canuck without a US passport or Green Card is likewise extremely tough. In the words of famed medical educator Rasheed Wallace, "The numbers don't lie."***

Additionally, remember that the match rates for foreign graduates are generally expected to get worse, and not better.

Long story short (too late, tooooo late), it is a risky idea. I know that is not the answer you and your son want to hear, but based on the numbers and the trends, it is the only honest answer. The chances of graduating and not being able to train or practice in North America are, unfortunately, quite high. If I had it to do again, and I was only interested in working in the US or Canada, I cannot say that I would pull the trigger on a foreign medical education. I was exceptionally fortunate to end up in the situation I am in.

***NOTE: For optimized accuracy, please insert "former NBA player" for "medical educator" and "Ball" for "The numbers."

devildoc8404
12-05-2014, 03:21 PM
Oh, and I completed my medical degree at MU-Sofia in Bulgaria. My PhD program is at an institute of a Swiss university.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.