PDA

View Full Version : German/US citizen trying to get into German medical school.

lgwide
09-13-2014, 12:28 PM
Hi!
I'm applying to schools in the US, England, Scotland, and Germany. How to apply to schools in the first three locations is self explanatory, but applying to German universities is a lot more complicated than I thought it would be, seeing that I'd like to go straight to medical school (I am willing to do studiumkolleg for a year if I don't get accepted right away).
What do German universities look for in a student? I heard that you need a certain score on the ACT, and a certain combination of APs. I got a 33 on the ACT, and have taken AP Psychology, AP US Government, AP World, AP Chemistry, AP Mico/Macroeconomics, AP Language, and got 4s and 5s on all of them. This year (senior year) I'm taking AP Biology, AP Literature, AP French, and AP Calculus A/B. I'll most likely get 4s and 5s on these too. I took the DSD 1 and passed it, and I'm willing to take AP German if I need to.
I have dual US/German citizenship, which apparently means I can't apply as an international applicant, I have to apply as a German applicant. What does this mean for my chances of acceptance, and how will they look at my American transcript but still admit me like a German citizen? Can I still attend studiumkolleg as a German citizen?
Do German universities care about extracurriculars, like for example I'm captain of the debate team, or things like where I'm currently employed? I worked at a german hospital for three weeks last summer, would that be of interest/factor into my chances of admission?
If you have any anecdotes or recommendations about applying, student life, the medical school you think is the best, etc, please share!! I'd like to compare the quality of education (i'm aware that I need to do undergrad for US and UK schools), student life, standard of life, customs, cultures, etc, in the locations I'm looking at. Thanks :)

Tricuspid
09-16-2014, 05:05 PM
Most UK schools don't require you to do a bachelor's if you are a US citizen.

Can you speak fluent german? If not, I wouldn't apply. Otherwise, i'm not too sure how the quality is although Germany is a good country for medical education in general, many of the world's most famous physicians were german doctors. Medicine is quite competitive in germany as well.

Sawank
09-23-2014, 05:13 AM
Yes, It is more complicated to applying German universities. Specially when you are a US citizen and you can't speak fluent german..

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.