PDA

View Full Version : rotation experiences

rotation
09-08-2014, 01:17 PM
Hi,

Please share your elective and core rotation experiences in US hospitals here and review the doctors you worked with or simply share the doctor's name you worked with.

Please include:

Doctor's name
hospital's name
year
your review

VMD_Opinionated
09-08-2014, 02:56 PM
Hi,

Please share your elective and core rotation experiences in US hospitals here and review the doctors you worked with or simply share the doctor's name you worked with.

Please include:

Doctor's name
hospital's name
year
your review
I have some pretty good reviews about my rotations but I'm not sure I'm allowed to post doctor's names and hospital names on this forum, specially this forum. Are you from CMU? The clinical director has always been very open with me as far as which rotations are good. If you request a rotation which only requires you to attend three times a week for a few hours because you want to have time to study then you would probably will not have the best experience regardless of the preceptor or the hospital. If you have a specific rotation in mind you can contact me and I could probably give you some details. Are you from CMU? What year are you?

rotation
09-08-2014, 03:30 PM
I have some pretty good reviews about my rotations but I'm not sure I'm allowed to post doctor's names and hospital names on this forum, specially this forum. Are you from CMU? The clinical director has always been very open with me as far as which rotations are good. If you request a rotation which only requires you to attend three times a week for a few hours because you want to have time to study then you would probably will not have the best experience regardless of the preceptor or the hospital. If you have a specific rotation in mind you can contact me and I could probably give you some details. Are you from CMU? What year are you?

really? I tell my doctor's name to everyone. Infact the first thing students ask from each other is about the doctor.

No, I am not worried about less days. The more the better as there is more learning opportunity.

I am looking for doctor/hospital where they make me work hard and where the doctor discuss things with you.

Final year. Not from CMU but many colleges allow you to choose electives from different doctors provided certain conditions are met.

VMD_Opinionated
09-08-2014, 07:58 PM
It was my understanding that posting identifying information about someone is against the terms of service. A friend of mine, not from CMU, asked me to inquire with one of my preceptors on whether he could do a rotation with him. That doctor told me that they have agreements or contracts with specific schools or agencies where they agree to accept a specific number of students from each school or agency, so my friend was not allowed to join the rotation. I think it also has to do with insurance and some other stuff.

My best advice and your best bet would be to speak with students from your school because at least you know that those specific doctors or hospitals accept students from your school.

CMU has rotations all over the U.S. where were you looking to do rotations at?

Scott1981
09-08-2014, 08:43 PM
personal names are not allowed per TOS. initials are allowed.

rotation
09-09-2014, 08:15 AM
It was my understanding that posting identifying information about someone is against the terms of service. A friend of mine, not from CMU, asked me to inquire with one of my preceptors on whether he could do a rotation with him. That doctor told me that they have agreements or contracts with specific schools or agencies where they agree to accept a specific number of students from each school or agency, so my friend was not allowed to join the rotation. I think it also has to do with insurance and some other stuff.

My best advice and your best bet would be to speak with students from your school because at least you know that those specific doctors or hospitals accept students from your school.

CMU has rotations all over the U.S. where were you looking to do rotations at?

Thats true, some doctors only accept from certain schools/agencies but some are open to all provided certain conditions are met.

I guess if not names, then may be review hospital and departments?

ASB86
09-17-2014, 01:28 PM
Hey,

Like some of the students have discussed above, the clinical rotations dept at CMU is very flexible and understanding. If you are studying for an upcoming exam, you have the option of taking a rotation with fewer hours per week. In my case, I asked the clinical dean to place me in rotations that had more rigorous schedules because I wanted the additional experience. Further, I would recommend putting in more hours in rotations that you may be interested in practicing in the future. For example, I would love to match in Surgery so I spend 3 months working 10 hours a day in the OR for my surgery core. The choice is yours.

externIMG
09-17-2014, 01:38 PM
Hey,

Like some of the students have discussed above, the clinical rotations dept at CMU is very flexible and understanding. If you are studying for an upcoming exam, you have the option of taking a rotation with fewer hours per week. In my case, I asked the clinical dean to place me in rotations that had more rigorous schedules because I wanted the additional experience. Further, I would recommend putting in more hours in rotations that you may be interested in practicing in the future. For example, I would love to match in Surgery so I spend 3 months working 10 hours a day in the OR for my surgery core. The choice is yours.

Thank you ASB for the valuable advice. I agree.
Did you rotate in Chicago?
Chicago seems to be the venue of choice for many caribbeans.

I'd like to know the clinic where there was rigorous work. Was it also hands-on? you can private msg me the clinic/hospital name if you prefer.

ASB86
09-17-2014, 01:51 PM
Chicago is a great place for us to rotate. Since there are many hospitals/clinics in the area, you will have no problem lining up rotations back to back. I was anxious to finish and booked all of my rotations in advance so that I could return home to my family. I think its best that you contact the clinical dept because some things may have changed since I rotated. Also, I'm sure they have additional preceptors for you to choose from. Just let them know how many hours a week you're looking to work and they will set you up with a rotation that fits your schedule. Good luck!

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.