PDA

View Full Version : AUA or UWI

Kewell35
08-31-2014, 04:24 AM
Which one is the better school to attend to, if one wants to practice in the states?

UWI is not USMLE geared but apparently it's not considered an offshore school. I am undecided.

The clinical rotations at AUA take place in the U.S so it would count for US clinical experience right?

Raj25
08-31-2014, 09:45 AM
UWI has it's own advantages - students can practice on the islands incase USMLE doesn't work out.

AUA clinicals are not that great.

I would suggest UWI. In Antigua UWI has a better reputation than AUA because of the practicing graduates in the island itself.

Kewell35
08-31-2014, 11:44 AM
UWI has it's own advantages - students can practice on the islands incase USMLE doesn't work out.

AUA clinicals are not that great.

I would suggest UWI. In Antigua UWI has a better reputation than AUA because of the practicing graduates in the island itself.

Thanks.

Do you know how hard it is to match in a residency if you attend UWI? I can't find anyone or any statistics on graduates that matched.

Is it better than AUA in this aspect?

aimu observer
08-31-2014, 12:40 PM
Sir, you may not know so I must tell

AUA is a relative johhny come lately that is only about 10 years old

Long before AUA existed UWI was churning out folk who obtained residencies in the USA, and who are practicing in all 50 states.

UWI students are so well trained that passing the USMLE exams is as easy as taking a DQ blizzard.

I have a cousin who did all the step exams in a three week period after graduating from UWI and doing her internship

If you can get into any of the three UWI schools you should go. dont even thjink about it JUST GO

Raj25
08-31-2014, 12:40 PM
Residencies all depend on step scores, clerkship letters and clinical grades. Doesn't matter where you go. But I would suggest uwi simply because aua profs in basic sci are not qualified to teach usmle material. You find yourself self learning at AUA. Uwi has qualified physicians practising who can teach you.

Kewell35
08-31-2014, 01:12 PM
Sir, you may not know so I must tell

AUA is a relative johhny come lately that is only about 10 years old

Long before AUA existed UWI was churning out folk who obtained residencies in the USA, and who are practicing in all 50 states.

UWI students are so well trained that passing the USMLE exams is as easy as taking a DQ blizzard.

I have a cousin who did all the step exams in a three week period after graduating from UWI and doing her internship

If you can get into any of the three UWI schools you should go. dont even thjink about it JUST GO

Wow, OK.

This really puts things into perspective and I will definitely consider it.

Do you know which campus is the best though? I heard the teaching at Mona is much superior to the rest because of the history and the number of lecturers.

Thanks for the info.

Kewell35
08-31-2014, 01:13 PM
Residencies all depend on step scores, clerkship letters and clinical grades. Doesn't matter where you go. But I would suggest uwi simply because aua profs in basic sci are not qualified to teach usmle material. You find yourself self learning at AUA. Uwi has qualified physicians practising who can teach you.

What about the rotations?

Is the clinical teaching superior in UWI as well? I know they teach at their own hospitals so it's not american clinical experience.

aimu observer
08-31-2014, 01:26 PM
the major difference between UWI and ALL THE OFF SHORE MEDICAL SCHOOLS IS THIS

ALL THE OFF SHORE MEDICAL SCHOOLS WERE DESIGNED PRIMARILY TO MAKE MONEY--THEY ARE SET UP TO BE CASH COWS. THE BOTTOM LINE IS THE MAJOR CONSIDERATION AT ALL TIMES. THESE ARE ORGANISATIONS WHERE PROFIT SEEKING IS THE MAJOR AIM---NOT MEDICINE.

UWI WAS SET UP IN 1948 TO TRAIN DOCTORS FOR THE 14 BRITISH WEST INDIAN COLONIES. IT WAS NEVER ABOUT PROFIT. IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN ABOUT MEDICINE---NEVER ABOUT PROFIT! CONSEQUENTLY COMPASSIONATE COMPETENT DOCTORS HAVE BEEN TRAINED.

AAIMS IN JAMAICA SUFFERS BECAUSE IT IS DIRECTED BY A STUPID WOMAN WHO IS NOT A DR. SHE HAS NEVER BEEN TO MED SCHOOL, AND THEREFORE DOES NOT KNOW WHAT MEDICAL STUDENTS NEED, OR WHAT DRS WHO TEACH MED STUDENTS NEED TO TEACH WOULD BE DOCTORS. SHE IS ALWAYS THERE IN THE PHOTO OPS, BUT HER ABILITY TO RUN A MED SCHOOL HAS THE DIMENSIONS OF AN ABYSS, SHE HAS A STERILE VIRGIN BRAIN WHERE MEDICINE IS CONCERNED.

DONT THINK THAT BECAUSE THEY CLAIM TO BE THE PREMIER SCHOOL IN JAMAICA THAT AAIMS IS EVEN WORTH SSSSSSSSSSSSSSt. EVEN ONE OF THEIR OWN STAFF MEMBERS SAID SO--AND HE SHOULD KNOW.

UWI ALL THE WAY

Kewell35
08-31-2014, 02:09 PM
the major difference between UWI and ALL THE OFF SHORE MEDICAL SCHOOLS IS THIS

ALL THE OFF SHORE MEDICAL SCHOOLS WERE DESIGNED PRIMARILY TO MAKE MONEY--THEY ARE SET UP TO BE CASH COWS. THE BOTTOM LINE IS THE MAJOR CONSIDERATION AT ALL TIMES. THESE ARE ORGANISATIONS WHERE PROFIT SEEKING IS THE MAJOR AIM---NOT MEDICINE.

UWI WAS SET UP IN 1948 TO TRAIN DOCTORS FOR THE 14 BRITISH WEST INDIAN COLONIES. IT WAS NEVER ABOUT PROFIT. IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN ABOUT MEDICINE---NEVER ABOUT PROFIT! CONSEQUENTLY COMPASSIONATE COMPETENT DOCTORS HAVE BEEN TRAINED.

AAIMS IN JAMAICA SUFFERS BECAUSE IT IS DIRECTED BY A STUPID WOMAN WHO IS NOT A DR. SHE HAS NEVER BEEN TO MED SCHOOL, AND THEREFORE DOES NOT KNOW WHAT MEDICAL STUDENTS NEED, OR WHAT DRS WHO TEACH MED STUDENTS NEED TO TEACH WOULD BE DOCTORS. SHE IS ALWAYS THERE IN THE PHOTO OPS, BUT HER ABILITY TO RUN A MED SCHOOL HAS THE DIMENSIONS OF AN ABYSS, SHE HAS A STERILE VIRGIN BRAIN WHERE MEDICINE IS CONCERNED.

DONT THINK THAT BECAUSE THEY CLAIM TO BE THE PREMIER SCHOOL IN JAMAICA THAT AAIMS IS EVEN WORTH SSSSSSSSSSSSSSt. EVEN ONE OF THEIR OWN STAFF MEMBERS SAID SO--AND HE SHOULD KNOW.

UWI ALL THE WAY

Thanks.

I wasn't considering AIMS though.

I was comparing UWI Mona Campus to that in St. Augustine and Cavehill.

Which campus would you recommend?

aimu observer
08-31-2014, 06:56 PM
RE What about the rotations?
GREAT! YOU WILL HAVE MORE RESPONSIBILITY FOR PATIENTS, AND ARE ACCOUNTABLE TO BOTH YOUR PEERS AND SUPERIORS.

RE Is the clinical teaching superior in UWI as well? I know they teach at their own hospitals so it's not american clinical experience.

THE CLINICAL EXPERIENCE IS TOP CLASS AT UWI
DAY USUALLY STARTS WITH SYSTEMATIC LECTURES AT 8 AM ; THERE ARE ADDITIONAL LECTURES IN YOUR ROTATIONS FROM THE CONSULTANTS. ALSO LUNCH TIME MEETINGS (CPC’S etc) SATURDAY MORNING MEETINGS.
WHAT THE HELL IS american clinical experience?
Please kindly note that THERE IS A WHOLE WORLD OUTSIDE ALASKA AND THE FLORIDA KEYS…………just in case you did not know VERY GOOD MEDICINE IS PACTICED OUTSIDE OF THE AFOREMENTIONED GEOGRAPHICAL AREA, AND MUCH CHEAPER AND WITH UCH LESS CONFUSION.

RE I wasn't considering AIMS though.
MAKE SURE YOU DON’T!

RE I was comparing UWI Mona Campus to that in St. Augustine and Cavehill.
ALL THREE ARE GOOD

RE Which campus would you recommend?
CAVEHILL => MONA => ST AUGUSTINE

Kewell35
08-31-2014, 08:00 PM
RE What about the rotations?
GREAT! YOU WILL HAVE MORE RESPONSIBILITY FOR PATIENTS, AND ARE ACCOUNTABLE TO BOTH YOUR PEERS AND SUPERIORS.

RE Is the clinical teaching superior in UWI as well? I know they teach at their own hospitals so it's not american clinical experience.

THE CLINICAL EXPERIENCE IS TOP CLASS AT UWI
DAY USUALLY STARTS WITH SYSTEMATIC LECTURES AT 8 AM ; THERE ARE ADDITIONAL LECTURES IN YOUR ROTATIONS FROM THE CONSULTANTS. ALSO LUNCH TIME MEETINGS (CPC’S etc) SATURDAY MORNING MEETINGS.
WHAT THE HELL IS american clinical experience?
Please kindly note that THERE IS A WHOLE WORLD OUTSIDE ALASKA AND THE FLORIDA KEYS…………just in case you did not know VERY GOOD MEDICINE IS PACTICED OUTSIDE OF THE AFOREMENTIONED GEOGRAPHICAL AREA, AND MUCH CHEAPER AND WITH UCH LESS CONFUSION.

RE I wasn't considering AIMS though.
MAKE SURE YOU DON’T!

RE I was comparing UWI Mona Campus to that in St. Augustine and Cavehill.
ALL THREE ARE GOOD

RE Which campus would you recommend?
CAVEHILL => MONA => ST AUGUSTINE

Thanks alot for the advice.

One last question.

Why would you recommend Barbados firstly?

Because the choice was either Mona or Barbados.

aimu observer
08-31-2014, 09:52 PM
convenience- all clinicals in one hospital
greater intimacy of staff and students
less crime
safer environment
higher civilization
beaches, city, everything closer to hospital

dhermon
09-02-2014, 12:34 PM
Thanks for giving us the chance to help with your decision. It is my understanding UWI offers a 5 year program leading to the degree of MBBS that allows students consideration for internships throughout the West Indies.

AUA is a four year program leading to the degree of MD. Our students spend 2 years in Antigua and 2 years in clinical rotations in the US at US teaching hospitals where AUA has secured clinical seats for our students.

Students looking to return to the US for residency should consider schools with the following:
*Clinical rotations in the United States: Clinical Affiliations | American University of Antigua (http://www.auamed.org/clinical-affiliations)
*Clinically correlated based Basic Sciences curriculum geared toward preparing students for United States Medical Licensing Exams: Basic Sciences Component & Curriculum | American University of Antigua (http://www.auamed.org/basic-sciences-component)
*Hands on instruction with simulation models and cadavers: American University of Antigua (http://www.auamed.org/tour/#/anatomy-labs-video)
*Mock physician suites designed to mirror a US office or hospital: American University of Antigua (http://www.auamed.org/tour/#/simulated-learning-center-video)
*Technology integrated curriculum including learning management and lecture capture systems: American University of Antigua (http://www.auamed.org/tour/#/classrooms-video)
*An Education Enhancement Departments focusing on test taking strategy, individualized study and time management plans: AUA Education Enhancement Department | American University of Antigua (http://www.auamed.org/educational-enhancement-department-eed)
*Integrated Kaplan style review prior to sitting for Step 1
*Subject matter exams during basic sciences and opportunities to take multiple comprehensive exams that mirror content and structure of a USMLE Step 1 exam
*Proven US residency success: Graduate Success | American University of Antigua (http://www.auamed.org/graduate-success)

aimu observer
09-02-2014, 03:27 PM
the UWI MBBS as MBBS programs throughout the British Commonwealth has three years of clinical rotations, in which students have responsibility for patients in all three clinical years.

On completion of the MBBS YOU CAN GO PRACTICE IN ANY PART OF THE CIVILIZED WORLD AND YOU WILL BE COMPETENT ENOUGH TO GO DO STEPS 1, 2 AND 3 WITHIN A FEW WEEKS AS HAS BEEN DONE COUNTLESS TIMES BY UWI GRADUATES.

RE *Hands on instruction with simulation models and cadavers:
cADAVERS ARE THE NORM IN ALL PROPER MEDICAL SCHOOLS FOR THE ANATOMY COURSE, SO ONE WONDERS WHY IT IS HIGHLIGTED BY AUA,
yOU DONT NEED simulation models AT UWI BECAUSE YOU HAVE ACCESS TO REAL PATIENTS! NOT MOCK SIMULATIONS BUT REAL REAL BLOOD AND FLESH PATIENTS, FOR WHOM YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE IN ALL THREE OF YOUR CLINICAL YEARS

AT UWI THERE IS NO NEED FOR *Mock physician suites designed to mirror a US office or hospital: YOU TRAIN IN REAL OFFICES AND HOSPITALS (ON THE WARDS AND IN OUT PATIENT CLINICS FOR ALL THREE OF YOUR CLINICAL YEARS)

WHY GO TO A SCHOOL WITH SO MANY MOCK AND SIMULATED THIS AND THAT? WHEN YOU CAN GO TO A SCHOOL WHERE THINGS ARE REAL! YOU NOW HAVE A CHOICE OF THREE UWI SCHOOLS

IF YOU ARE WELL TRAINED AS YOU WILL BE AT UWI YOU WILL HAVE NO PROBLEM GOING TO DO RESEDENCIES IN THE USA OR TIMBUKTU. THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF UWI STUDENTS WHO HAVE DONE THIS BEFORE OVER THE LAST 60 YEARS

AT UWI YOU WILL HAVE A Clinically correlated based Basic Sciences curriculum, IN FACT WHILE YOU ARE LEARNING PHARM PATH MICROB ETC IN THEORY YOU WILL BE SIMULTANEOUSLY BE SEEING WHAT YOU LEARN IN PRACTICE ON A DAILY BASIS.

THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF UWI AND INDIAN GRADUATES IN THE USA WHO HAVE BEEN TRAINED THIS WAY WHO ARE IN TOP POSITIONS IN US HOSPITALS.

Kewell35
09-03-2014, 10:44 AM
the UWI MBBS as MBBS programs throughout the British Commonwealth has three years of clinical rotations, in which students have responsibility for patients in all three clinical years.

On completion of the MBBS YOU CAN GO PRACTICE IN ANY PART OF THE CIVILIZED WORLD AND YOU WILL BE COMPETENT ENOUGH TO GO DO STEPS 1, 2 AND 3 WITHIN A FEW WEEKS AS HAS BEEN DONE COUNTLESS TIMES BY UWI GRADUATES.

RE *Hands on instruction with simulation models and cadavers:
cADAVERS ARE THE NORM IN ALL PROPER MEDICAL SCHOOLS FOR THE ANATOMY COURSE, SO ONE WONDERS WHY IT IS HIGHLIGTED BY AUA,
yOU DONT NEED simulation models AT UWI BECAUSE YOU HAVE ACCESS TO REAL PATIENTS! NOT MOCK SIMULATIONS BUT REAL REAL BLOOD AND FLESH PATIENTS, FOR WHOM YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE IN ALL THREE OF YOUR CLINICAL YEARS

AT UWI THERE IS NO NEED FOR *Mock physician suites designed to mirror a US office or hospital: YOU TRAIN IN REAL OFFICES AND HOSPITALS (ON THE WARDS AND IN OUT PATIENT CLINICS FOR ALL THREE OF YOUR CLINICAL YEARS)

WHY GO TO A SCHOOL WITH SO MANY MOCK AND SIMULATED THIS AND THAT? WHEN YOU CAN GO TO A SCHOOL WHERE THINGS ARE REAL! YOU NOW HAVE A CHOICE OF THREE UWI SCHOOLS

IF YOU ARE WELL TRAINED AS YOU WILL BE AT UWI YOU WILL HAVE NO PROBLEM GOING TO DO RESEDENCIES IN THE USA OR TIMBUKTU. THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF UWI STUDENTS WHO HAVE DONE THIS BEFORE OVER THE LAST 60 YEARS

AT UWI YOU WILL HAVE A Clinically correlated based Basic Sciences curriculum, IN FACT WHILE YOU ARE LEARNING PHARM PATH MICROB ETC IN THEORY YOU WILL BE SIMULTANEOUSLY BE SEEING WHAT YOU LEARN IN PRACTICE ON A DAILY BASIS.

THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF UWI AND INDIAN GRADUATES IN THE USA WHO HAVE BEEN TRAINED THIS WAY WHO ARE IN TOP POSITIONS IN US HOSPITALS.

I believe you and mean no disrespect but I've been searching and have only found one page with graduates from UWI.

Can you find such statistics for me? about graduates from UWI that are working in the states.

I believe you and mean no disrespect.

aimu observer
09-03-2014, 02:10 PM
Dont you think that after 66 years that UWI will have graduates?

Why should UWI post lists of their graduates who are working in the States? The states is not heaven, nor working in the states was never the purpose of UWI. UWI graduates work in the US AS PART OF A BRAIN DRAIN.

A few weeks ago in the attempt to ascertain where certain friends of mind were working in the states, I googled thier names and found them all over the US and Canada.

I dont work for UWI and I am not here to tout for UWI.
If you wish to attend AUA or any of the other substandard medical schools in the Carribbean, you may carry on smartly. BEST WISHES

Kewell35
09-03-2014, 02:35 PM
Dont you think that after 66 years that UWI will have graduates?

Why should UWI post lists of their graduates who are working in the States? The states is not heaven, nor working in the states was never the purpose of UWI. UWI graduates work in the US AS PART OF A BRAIN DRAIN.

A few weeks ago in the attempt to ascertain where certain friends of mind were working in the states, I googled thier names and found them all over the US and Canada.

I dont work for UWI and I am not here to tout for UWI.
If you wish to attend AUA or any of the other substandard medical schools in the Carribbean, you may carry on smartly. BEST WISHES

I'm not asking about UWI posting information on graduates and asking about if anyone graduated from UWI.

I'm asking if there is any information about any doctors working in the states from UWI. That's it. Because I couldnt find any! except one page. It will aid in my decision to choose a school.

You totally misunderstood.

I heard the St.Augustine campus is totally corrupted (when it comes to foreign students). I am wary.

Raj25
09-03-2014, 03:01 PM
Not even US medical schools publish stats about residencies on their websites. Caribbean schools do it because of adcom - make money off it. It is highly unrealistic that a caribbean medical school (with the exception of St. Georges) places 80% of it's incoming class into residencies. Infact, even St. Georges does not have such number - go on the St. Georges website and you see even St. Georges does not publish it's residency statistics on their website.

As far as AUA goes, if you score high on step 1, do well on clerkships and ace step 2, then you are good to go for residencies. But UWI is a great option because it gives you an option incase US residency does not work out. You can still practice in Antigua. I know many foreign doctors who studied at UWI, practicing in Antigua because USMLE or US residencies did not work out.

Just giving you two sides of the coin.

Kewell35
09-03-2014, 03:20 PM
Not even US medical schools publish stats about residencies on their websites. Caribbean schools do it because of adcom - make money off it. It is highly unrealistic that a caribbean medical school (with the exception of St. Georges) places 80% of it's incoming class into residencies. Infact, even St. Georges does not have such number - go on the St. Georges website and you see even St. Georges does not publish it's residency statistics on their website.

As far as AUA goes, if you score high on step 1, do well on clerkships and ace step 2, then you are good to go for residencies. But UWI is a great option because it gives you an option incase US residency does not work out. You can still practice in Antigua. I know many foreign doctors who studied at UWI, practicing in Antigua because USMLE or US residencies did not work out.

Just giving you two sides of the coin.

I am not asking for information from medical schools.
Instead, I am asking if there is any information from hospitals on graduates of UWI working for them.

For the second point, AUA is also CAAM-HP accredited, therefore the students can also work in the Caribbean. In fact, Trinidad has been hiring graduates from all over, offshore schools, Cuba, even China. For UWI, I think Jamaica looks more feasible especially from all the things I heard about Trinidad.

If that was the only advantage, then I am not sure because AUA offers US clinical experience which would give more weight to my application.
The only doubt in my mind is the fact that UWI is more prestigious and has better clinical teaching (more hands on.)

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.