PDA

View Full Version : Caribbean MD to australia

Torontomed
08-26-2014, 12:27 PM
Is it possible for a Carribean MD to go through one of the pathways to become a doctor in Australia? I'm a Canadian student, planning to study in the Caribbeans.

The reason i ask is, with all the doom and gloom about the apparent "residency doomsday" coming up in 2016, i'm curious if Caribbean grads have the option to go to Australia and practice as a physician if North America doesn't pan out.

Thank you in advance!

TriageModerator
09-03-2014, 07:44 PM
Apparently there is an internship shortage in Australia as well: https://www.amsa.org.au/advocacy/internship-crisis/

I don't know what the situation is like firsthand, but it is my impression that domestic students and foreign students who trained in Australian medical schools receive preference over foreign medical graduates (unless there are other parts of the foreign medical graduate's application which make him or her a more desirable candidate).

Tricuspid
09-07-2014, 07:37 AM
Definitely not possible. Australia has way to many interns and they prioritize their citizen grads and then non-citizen grads before a non-citizen non-grad. No clue where citizen non-grads fall into place though. Basically by the end of non-citizen grads there are basically no spaces left.

If you go to the Caribbean, about the only places that are willing to offer you a residency is the US or Canada.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.