PDA

View Full Version : Accepting Queensland Offer?

Avicii
08-13-2014, 03:01 PM
Hello all!

I apologize in advance if I am placing this thread in the wrong forum as I am new to ValueMD. I am currently in final year of my B.Sc. degree at the University of Alberta. My academic profile is not that stellar: GPA of 3.91, and MCAT score of 30. During my third year, I applied and was invited for an interview for the medical programme at the University of Alberta. Unfortunately, I did was not successful at getting admission (my interview went terribly). Now I am looking to reapply and have started applications to a few Canadian universities as well as medical schools elsewhere, such as Ireland, U.S., Singapore, Australia, and New Zealand. I have actually submitted my application to the U of A, Memorial University, UBC, and U of C.

I have received an offer of admission to the February 2015 MD programme at the University of Queensland. Although initially I was ecstatic by receiving the offer, after researching further on the UQ's MD program and the current internship situation in Australia these have discouraged me to accept the offer.

As many of you know, University of Queensland is changing its programme from MBBS to MD. On IMED under University of Queensland, the MD is not listed. I do plan to settle in Australia, but this makes me worried as I would like to leave my doors open if ever I change my plan and decide to complete residency or would like to practice in North America.

I have read a couple of posts about the internship tsunami in Australia. Since international students are giving third preference and a number of them have lately have been left without a internship position, I debating if the risk of studying at UQ is worth it. Also, I was researching on the opportunities to complete residency in New Zealand, and Singapore. For New Zealand, it seems that the internship situation is the same as Australia. There are too many medical graduates and inadequate number of internship positions. For Singapore, the MD degree from UQ is not recognized according to the Second Schedule of the MRA. Only the MBBS degree is recognized.

All the points above are alarming and discouraging me to take the UQ offer. I have 59 days remaining to accept the offer. On the other hand, I have started applications to several medical schools in North America, and have even submitted to some of them. With my current stats, I fear that I will be not offered many interviews. I am basically in a dilemma. I am not sure if I should decline the offer and proceed with the applications that I have started or should I accept the offer and take a wild risk.

Any guidance will be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Torontomed
08-13-2014, 06:10 PM
Hey OP i'm a premed just like you, and if you are really interested in doing med in Australia, i'd apply only to universities in states like Victoria, Western Australia and Southern Australia. Universities in those states put you in priority #2 for residency, right after priority #1 (australian citizens from australian schools). I think you'll have a better chance at residency doing medicine in those states, being a foreign student.
I realize i didn't fully answer your question but i hope that was helpful. If i were you, i'd honestly just go the DO route in USA. Seems like a much safer option. DO's can practice as MD's in lot of countries, but i'm not sure if Australia is one of them. With your stats you can easily get into many DO schools in the states.

These are just information i gathered from my research, so please do make sure to look into it further before you make a decision based on my words lol.
Good luck!

Avicii
08-14-2014, 10:15 PM
Hey OP i'm a premed just like you, and if you are really interested in doing med in Australia, i'd apply only to universities in states like Victoria, Western Australia and Southern Australia. Universities in those states put you in priority #2 for residency, right after priority #1 (australian citizens from australian schools). I think you'll have a better chance at residency doing medicine in those states, being a foreign student.
I realize i didn't fully answer your question but i hope that was helpful. If i were you, i'd honestly just go the DO route in USA. Seems like a much safer option. DO's can practice as MD's in lot of countries, but i'm not sure if Australia is one of them. With your stats you can easily get into many DO schools in the states.

These are just information i gathered from my research, so please do make sure to look into it further before you make a decision based on my words lol.
Good luck!

Hey Torontomed!

Thank you so much for the information. I wasn't aware different states have different preference rankings for international students. I did apply to some other Australian med schools, so I'll wait a month or so before making a firm decision. The worst case scenario, I will accept the offer and still submit my med application to North American schools. If I do receive invitations for an interview, then I will fly back from Australia and hope for the best. It's worth the risk, I think...

Wishing you all the best in your medical applications :-)

Tricuspid
08-25-2014, 09:17 PM
Hey Torontomed!

Thank you so much for the information. I wasn't aware different states have different preference rankings for international students. I did apply to some other Australian med schools, so I'll wait a month or so before making a firm decision. The worst case scenario, I will accept the offer and still submit my med application to North American schools. If I do receive invitations for an interview, then I will fly back from Australia and hope for the best. It's worth the risk, I think...

Wishing you all the best in your medical applications :-)

Good luck with your applications. If you received an interview before, you should again to be honest. You applied to so many schools, really I think you will get an interview. I would hold off on UQ. For Canadians, i'm assuming you are one, returning to Canada is very very difficult if you are an IMG.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.