PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have questions about Aureus? Current student here

hollboy
07-19-2014, 06:29 PM
Hey guys,

I am a student at this school currently. I am actually in rotations now after passing Step 1 (thank God!). This forum was a big help when I was looking to take the plunge into the Caribbean, so if any of you have any questions about the school post away. I'm more than happy to help :)

medstudent224
07-22-2014, 11:44 AM
can you tell me about how the school is.. exams, classes, how many people pass through all 5 semesters?
how do they prepare you for step 1??

thanks!

Hey guys,

I am a student at this school currently. I am actually in rotations now after passing Step 1 (thank God!). This forum was a big help when I was looking to take the plunge into the Caribbean, so if any of you have any questions about the school post away. I'm more than happy to help :)

gurp93
07-27-2014, 02:36 AM
Hi, I am a student at Aureus, preparing for Step 1. I had some questions regarding starting rotations; I will start them after writing the exam. How do I go about setting up the rotations and how in advance before should I apply? Do I set up the core rotations myself with the hospitals or does the school do that for me? Any info on how and when to apply will be appreciated. Some hospitals only offer for example, 3 core rotations, so to do the others at a different hospital do I apply for those afterwards, or how do I set up this "schedule" per say. Also, the electives, can I do those in between the core rotations, or are those to be done once core rotations are complete? I just want to make sure I set everything up on time, and not to wait till after step 1. I threw a handful of questions, but any advice will be very helpful and much appreciated. Thank you .

Regards,
Gurp

hollboy
08-01-2014, 12:38 AM
can you tell me about how the school is.. exams, classes, how many people pass through all 5 semesters?
how do they prepare you for step 1??

thanks!

I don't have exact stats but the basic sciences curriculum has improved greatly over the past few years once they built the new campus. Everything is more organized than before although of course still a lot of room for improvement. You cannot expect to rely simply on classes to get a good Step 1 score. Get a UWorld subscription around your 3rd semester on the island and start getting through it as much as possible. Whether you go to Harvard Med or Aureus, Step 1 ultimately depends on how much work you're willing to put in. So keep your head down and study hard and you'll be fine.

The main "Step 1 prep" happens in the MD5 semester. I'm not sure how they do it now but when we had it was a 5 week program where they'd bring in random doctors and instructors who would present on topics. But mainly you had plenty of time to study on your own. At the end of the 5 weeks they gave a comprehensive exam and if you pass that you are allowed to register for Step 1. Plenty of people don't pass it and this is the main weeding out system the school has. So those 5 weeks are not a vacation by any means, you need to be studying hardcore. Again, I'm not sure if this is still how MD5 is done.

Professors are hit or miss overall. But really man if you want to succeed it's going to come down to you. Do tons of studying outside of class. Aruba is a fun place to be in but keep your eye on the prize at all times.

hollboy
08-01-2014, 12:42 AM
Hi, I am a student at Aureus, preparing for Step 1. I had some questions regarding starting rotations; I will start them after writing the exam. How do I go about setting up the rotations and how in advance before should I apply? Do I set up the core rotations myself with the hospitals or does the school do that for me? Any info on how and when to apply will be appreciated. Some hospitals only offer for example, 3 core rotations, so to do the others at a different hospital do I apply for those afterwards, or how do I set up this "schedule" per say. Also, the electives, can I do those in between the core rotations, or are those to be done once core rotations are complete? I just want to make sure I set everything up on time, and not to wait till after step 1. I threw a handful of questions, but any advice will be very helpful and much appreciated. Thank you .

Regards,
Gurp

Do not worry at all about rotations right now. Keep your focus completely on Step 1.

Once you pass the school will send you info about rotations. You can then decide which city you want to go to. Most are in Chicago and Baltimore currently with some in Dallas. They also have Atlanta and Seattle but I don't personally know of anyone there. Each of these cities has a contact person and/or a physician overseeing everything, so you simply get in touch with them and they setup everything for you. You do not have to contact hospitals individually. As far as I am aware, each city allows you to complete all your cores and electives in that city so you do not need to move around much. But like I said, each city has a "contact person" who will set up all the rotations for you. Yes, you can take electives before core rotations are complete.

You can setup electives on your own in other cities. This is a bit tougher to do but the school is pretty easy to work with. You just gotta do a lot of the leg work with the paperwork and be very proactive.

But like I said, focus on Step 1 that's all that matters right now. You'll have plenty of time to figure out rotations afterwards.

samirn773
10-08-2014, 11:56 AM
hello
I have come to know that Aureus students have to wait for rotation ...schedule some times changes at last moments ...
and more preference is being given to St.george students ...and even in residency matching ..is it right
I also wanto know if some one start His or Her MD from Aureus How much it takes to match residency in normal cases..
thanks

ek_civic
10-14-2014, 02:59 PM
I am a current IMG with Aureus. I recently completed my rotations in Chicago. As far as I know, no one that rotated in Chicago has obtained residency. I am one of them. If there are ANY aureus students from the Chicago rotations that have obtained residency, send me a link to the hospital website current residents so that I could see for myself.

Internal Medicine Rotation: I was told that I would be rotating at West Suburban Medical Center, which is a green book rotation, but do not issue a Visa. So, in order to even be considered, u must be a U.S IMG. I would suggest to NEVER do a rotation in a hospital in which they would NEVER accept you. I learned this the hard way. Anyways, we spent like 1 hour at most at the hospital for about 4 times a week, and most of the time in Dr. Sambare's clinic. I was told that I would rotate with the Loyola Med. Students, but I was kicked out of their teaching rounds and lectures once they found out that I was not one of their own.

All other rotations are like this. If you happened to be done on the island, I would suggest going for the Baltimore rotations, which are around double the price of the Chicago rotations.

Also, none of the big shots listed on the Aureus website are affiliated with the school. ******* is the only one in charge. People like Silbere, or Gleuck mentioned on the website either do not exist, or do not have any roles associated with the school. There is no way of contacting either of them. Infact, ******* is the ONLY one on that website that can be contacted directly. ******* just sits in his office all day long and collect the money from new students. I think there is something mentally wrong with him. He has a horrible temper and has told me off both over email and over the phone and seems to be deteriorating as days go by. I can just imagine how he treats those poor girls that work with him.

Is this the kind of school that people want to be associated with?

kingston
02-10-2015, 11:46 PM
Hello,

I am currently a student at a medical school in the caribbean. I am a Canadian student and our school recently lost OSAP. So I am planing on transferring to Aureus.

Could you please give me a honest opinion about how Aureus is and the locations and quality of rotations. I have read some conflicting information on here.

Please tell me the truth about the school good or bad, I just want to know what I am getting into.

Thanks

zsleek
03-12-2015, 04:32 PM
To Ek_ Civic
Are you serious? Is it that bad? You couldn't do rotation in Chicago because you couldn't get the visa, or because you were from Aureus?

zsleek
03-12-2015, 04:35 PM
Do you want to transfer just for OSAP or you're not happy with the school? you think the grass is greener!

aqua31
03-15-2015, 07:07 PM
Hi, i am an Aureus student and have passed my step 1. Im confused as to where to do my rotations, between baltimore, chicago or texas. (if you were to rank amongst these 3) Any advice or information will be appreciated. I know most students go to chicago, but i heard Baltimore is the "best". I searched online and saw that most residencies (2014) from our school were from baltimore, 1 in texas and none from chicago yet. Does anyone know anything about this and would any Aureus student in rotations give me an honest opinion. Thank You .

zsleek
03-19-2015, 01:47 PM
Hi, Are you happy with Aureus? How come no one got residency in Chicago? I have to chose between Aureus an Windsor, can you give me any honest advice?

zsleek
03-19-2015, 01:52 PM
Hi, Did you do your premed at Aureus? what was your impression on the school and the environment in general? do you recommend the school?

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.