PDA

View Full Version : How are the Clinical Rotations?

MDOnly
07-15-2014, 02:49 PM
Hey guys I just wanted to know how the clinical rotations are with CMU? Good, Bad, helpful, organized?

VMD_Opinionated
07-16-2014, 06:25 PM
That's a very loaded question. With regards to scheduling of the rotations - it is excellent, our coordinator expects us to give him at least one week advance notice as far as which rotation we want but if a rotation is available they will schedule you even one or two days before. The quality of the rotation really depends on what you ask for. If you are the type of person who wants to be in the rotation 6 out of 7 days of the week it can be done, but if you need an easy rotation which only meets three days out of the week because you are studying for an exam it has also been arranged. All the preceptors I have had so far are great. Most will teach, but all will answer your questions associated with the rotation. Ultimately is up to you on how much you want to learn and how much you want to get out of the rotation. Let me know if I can answer any other questions. What semester are you?

mjw
07-16-2014, 06:35 PM
Clinical Rotations with CMU are very organized and well prepared for the students. Scheduling is done in a timely manner. CMU rotations can be done back to back without waiting for weeks to set up between each rotation. Coordinators are always available and quick to respond to questions and concerns, they are personable and easy to talk to. All the doctors I've rotated with were accommodating, understanding, and passionate about teaching. As long as you have common sense, be professional and take initiatives to learn, you'll be fine. I never had any problems with rotations at all. :)

gogeta2006
07-16-2014, 06:48 PM
Hello MDOnly,

Welcome to the forums!
I had a terrible experience with the other schools and i didn't like the professionalism the schools displayed and I felt lost because of it. They never answered phone calls, emails, and when they did, you never felt sense of security and confidence in their abilities.

I transferred into CMU at the beginning of this year and let me tell you its been a world of difference.
The reason for my transfer was after I spoke to the clinical director at CMU.
He was very honest from the beginning and kept his word about how my experiences would be and everything he stated was truthful.

Honestly, I was surprised because like with everything in this world, you gotta take what people say with a grain of salt.

He schedules your rotations, giving you a great deal options of what you would like to do, is helpful with any task, always responsive (I cannot stress that factor because it has made my rotations even better experience), and is available via telephone (email backs almost within minutes to hours).

I got many options on how to proceed with my studies (for steps) and rotations. I could do a rotation that was every single day, long hours, to get experience or do short hours and balance that with my studies.

For my first rotation, I choose ophthalmology at Mercy Hospital in Chicago.
Like CMU always does, I receive my schedule weeks before hand with the preceptor name/number/address and all documentation required by CMU for that rotation (Student Evulation/Case Write-Ups). I contacted the doctor and he told me to study anatomy of the eye.
I was a bit afraid at first, but when i met the doctor and 3 other students I was rotating with, it turned out to become one of my favourite rotations.
I thought he would grill me on anatomy of eye and diseases associated but he took time to explain everything in depth (so i really didn't need to prepare LOL but its good i did though). I like having a small group to rotate with and it was in a hospital not a clinic which was even better experience. There were students from other schools as well but I chose the rotation because i spoke with the Clinical director at CMU before and he told me i would attend few days a week for 4-6 hours so I knew how to balance my studying. Other students didn't have a clue till they asked the doctor how long was the rotation and what days. So you can see what I mean, the clinical coordinator keeps you prepared for sure!
Whenever i had a question about medicine, rotations, or just even getting around he has always been helpful and honest. And its the honesty that has sold me and makes me proud to be part of CMU. Because at least now I know that my school (especially my clinical coordinator) looks out for their students well-being and success.

I thought since its an elective (ophthalmology), I wouldn't learn much, you know, since its a caribbean school it wouldn't THAT much of a good experience. (I learned coming from Caribbean, you always kind of have to downplay your expectancies).

I couldn't have been more wrong. I learned actively A LOT. I saw patients that had cataracts, signs of Diabetic Retinopathy, Glaucoma and much more through many equipments got to see the diagnosis first hand. The Doctor gave us presentations to do and that helped a great deal in reinforcing what was learnt. It was an active experience and I got to ask a lot of questions and the Doc was so resourceful and helpful in answering too. Not only did I enjoy the rotation but I made a great mentor from the Doc. He offered his experiences, advice and how to approach the next few years of medical student life and was very kind personality to be around (especially he since he was 65)

I am going to do now Radiology at another hospital, then Internal Med rotation but meeting other CMU students told me of their experiences with other Docs and I can't wait to have similar experiences. Excellent Docs, Excellent Rotations, and I can't stress how Helpful the clinical coordinator and the department.

I don't come back to these forums much, but i always like sharing my experiences because when I was struggling in other medical schools, no one was there to give me honest advice. I stumbled my way a lot so I rather you don't do the same.

If you need any more information about anything at all, feel free to PM me anytime or post right here!

I hope i answered your question.
I can safely say that my experiences are not a needle in the haystack but concurrent with a great deal of CMU students.

Take care!

JVE/PhD
07-16-2014, 07:51 PM
First off, let me commend my fellow colleagues on their attentiveness to detail.

Caribbean Medical University (CMU) prides itself of strong educational foundations that lead to success not only in your clinical career (rotations), but also in your future as a Physician.

I am currently a 4th year Medical Student with CMU, to assist in your interpretation of my posts direction.

All CMU rotations are in or are associated with Teaching Facilities, whether in the inpatient setting or the outpatient setting. I personally have completed rotations in Chicago, IL., and can share my perspective for these rotations.

Completed:

Family Practice - CORE - Norwegian American Hospital
OB/GYN - CORE - Mercy Hospital
Surgery - CORE - Thorek Hospital
Pediatrics - CORE - Norwegian American Hospital
Ophthalmology - ELECTIVE - Mercy Hospital
ER/Urgent Care - ELECTIVE - Northwest Community Hospital

All my rotations were in safe and easily accessible locations and my Attending's were extremely interested in assisting in my learning. As stated by my fellow colleagues, you will get out of your rotations as much as you are willing to put in, for instance, if you want to learn and be treated at the intern level, your Attending's will assist you in this, as long as you take the initiative to read and prepare yourself to discuss cases and learning objectives with them. Do not expect by any means in any rotation to be spoon fed material. Your path is your own and you must meet your Attending's along the way to assist them in molding your thought process and your young clinical judgement skills. Every single one of my Attending's, encouraged my thirst for knowledge as well as assisted in refining my though process as a student Physician to better understand the diagnostic and treatment processes.

In many of my rotations, I was an integral part of a team, including senior students, Residents, as well as my Attending's. I was involved in the diagnosis through to the treatment plan, and during the process learned to better myself through didactic teaching as well as guided learning objectives. Of course, where would we all be without being questions from time to time, the good old pimping, yes it happens and CMU prepares you to answer back appropriately. I find my clinical colleagues do not even know they are being "pimped", as we are fully prepared with strong backgrounds.

From an institutional point of view, my personal clinical coordinator has been an extreme wealth of knowledge as well as assistance. Assisting in the right elective options to assist in my future career goals, as well as to round out my education.

Medical Education is a journey, it involves a lot of trust in your self as well as your institution. I will say this, I was with CMU on the Island and am still with CMU now in my fantastic rotations in the USA.

As a Canadian CMU has also scheduled rotations in Canada, to assist in my objective of returning home to practice. I know of fellow colleagues that are in the United Kingdom as well for rotations and many in other areas of the USA.

As an end note, if you are researching CMU as an Institution, congratulations on your future career path goals, if you are a fellow CMU colleague, add a post and share your experience with the world.

Feel free to ask questions or join into the conversation.

Sincerely,

JVE/PhD.

chssmd
07-17-2014, 02:17 AM
Which rotations have you done so far?

chssmd
07-17-2014, 02:18 AM
Which rotations have you finished so far?

mjw
07-17-2014, 03:04 AM
I've done IM, FM, Surgery, Peds, Psych, Urgent care, Radiology, ER, Cardio
Currently doing OBGYN then have 1 more elective left

Some were very hands on and I learned a lot from patient interaction. I interviewed and performed PE, wrote notes, ordered labs and drugs, given shots, performed CPR, placed GI and NG tubes, sutured, done over the phone consultation with patients and other doctors, learned different insurances, how office is run (i think it's good to know all aspects of hospital/clinic), examined psych cases, cut, drain... etc. Of course all were under guidance and confirmation of the preceptors. I've been having a blast :)

Some were not so hands on due to the nature of the specialty, such as cardio, surgery and radiology. But I still learned about patient care, how to be a compassionate doctor, and even how to run your own clinic/business. In these cases your preceptor will give you important things to read about, discuss, lecture, answer any questions, and share their experiences. I never felt cheated of anything even with my not so hands on rotations.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

sorry6976
07-17-2014, 08:31 AM
Is CMU acredited school.

VMD_Opinionated
07-17-2014, 10:13 AM
Is CMU acredited school.

The school is accredited by various organizations, is there one in particular you were looking for? As of now the school is accredited or recognized by WHO, Avicenna, IMED, ECFMG, MCC, GMC, Ministry of Education and Ministry of Health. This means you are able to apply and take your USMLE exams, Participate in the Match, if you have student loans you can place them on forbearance etc. One thing I am not 100% sure is if they are approved by the department of education of the U.S.A. apparently U.S. military veterans are able to get GI Bill assistance while at CMU and the only way you can do that is if the school has been approved by the U.S. Department of education but I'm not 100% sure about that. Finance would probably answer that question for you quickly.

cadmd4
07-17-2014, 03:47 PM
Hey MDOnly:

I agree with most of the commentators thus far. To get down and dirty-here's my two cents:

My background: I have a B.Sc, M.Sc, MS4 (36 weeks into my rotations)

Advantages:
- freedom to schedule your own rotations in the order you want (no lag time in starting rotations)
this was huge for me, MD being my 3rd degree- I wanted freedom to schedule my studying and rotation time
- Small group based learning (3 students: 1 preceptor)
- Clinical centers are very easy to access by public transport or car
- Adequate in/outpatient exposure depending on the rotation of choice
- Build H&P, PE, EMR writing skills
- Student body at CMU very supportive
- Take part in lectures/conferences/health fairs that allow resume building opportunities
***excellent Payment plan for tuition to pay in monthly installments

Cons: I am being brutally honest- I can't think of any other that the school is new and is progressively growing stronger with each passing year. The reason why I say the school is growing stronger: current CMU students give back to the school by looking for ways to constantly improve the curriculum. The school takes student suggestions critically and that is why see the CMU rocketing in the next upcoming years.

It all roots down to this: You want to be a Dr? and be recognized on a first name basis? Join an institution that cares about you-Look no further.

Hope that helps!

Cavalier
07-18-2014, 04:12 PM
"It all roots down to this: You want to be a Dr? and be recognized on a first name basis? Join an institution that cares about you-Look no further."
++++++++++++++++++++++++
How many grads this year? CMU official says they have 600 students, wow! I certainly wish all well...

JVE/PhD
07-18-2014, 09:32 PM
I fully agree with my fellow Student Doctor.

Having only 30 weeks left of rotations, I can attest to having received strong clinical experiences. Not only have I been challenges, in a good way, I have been mentored and given support where needed and asked for.

My background: I have a B.Sc., M.Sc., PhD.

CMU is full of traditional and untraditional students. We are all here for the same goal. I look forward to running into any of my colleagues during rotations or in our numerous Hospitals. Make sure to always say hello, I know we are a busy group, but we are a big CMU family after all.

Feel free to ask any questions, and make sure you find a buddy at your orientation, that way you can bounce ideas off of each other as new Student Doctors and share any learning objectives.

Till our next post, Take care.

Hey MDOnly:

I agree with most of the commentators thus far. To get down and dirty-here's my two cents:

My background: I have a B.Sc, M.Sc, MS4 (36 weeks into my rotations)

Advantages:
- freedom to schedule your own rotations in the order you want (no lag time in starting rotations)
this was huge for me, MD being my 3rd degree- I wanted freedom to schedule my studying and rotation time
- Small group based learning (3 students: 1 preceptor)
- Clinical centers are very easy to access by public transport or car
- Adequate in/outpatient exposure depending on the rotation of choice
- Build H&P, PE, EMR writing skills
- Student body at CMU very supportive
- Take part in lectures/conferences/health fairs that allow resume building opportunities
***excellent Payment plan for tuition to pay in monthly installments

Cons: I am being brutally honest- I can't think of any other that the school is new and is progressively growing stronger with each passing year. The reason why I say the school is growing stronger: current CMU students give back to the school by looking for ways to constantly improve the curriculum. The school takes student suggestions critically and that is why see the CMU rocketing in the next upcoming years.

It all roots down to this: You want to be a Dr? and be recognized on a first name basis? Join an institution that cares about you-Look no further.

Hope that helps!

cadmd4
07-24-2014, 03:30 AM
CMU had its first commencement this past April with the class of 2014 consisting of around 15 graduates. The class of 2015 will include close to 80-100 grads, I am looking forward to that.

MD.IMG
07-26-2014, 12:11 PM
First off, let me commend my fellow colleagues on their attentiveness to detail.

Caribbean Medical University (CMU) prides itself of strong educational foundations that lead to success not only in your clinical career (rotations), but also in your future as a Physician.

I am currently a 4th year Medical Student with CMU, to assist in your interpretation of my posts direction.

All CMU rotations are in or are associated with Teaching Facilities, whether in the inpatient setting or the outpatient setting. I personally have completed rotations in Chicago, IL., and can share my perspective for these rotations.

Completed:

Family Practice - CORE - Norwegian American Hospital
OB/GYN - CORE - Mercy Hospital
Surgery - CORE - Thorek Hospital
Pediatrics - CORE - Norwegian American Hospital
Ophthalmology - ELECTIVE - Mercy Hospital
ER/Urgent Care - ELECTIVE - Northwest Community Hospital

All my rotations were in safe and easily accessible locations and my Attending's were extremely interested in assisting in my learning. As stated by my fellow colleagues, you will get out of your rotations as much as you are willing to put in, for instance, if you want to learn and be treated at the intern level, your Attending's will assist you in this, as long as you take the initiative to read and prepare yourself to discuss cases and learning objectives with them. Do not expect by any means in any rotation to be spoon fed material. Your path is your own and you must meet your Attending's along the way to assist them in molding your thought process and your young clinical judgement skills. Every single one of my Attending's, encouraged my thirst for knowledge as well as assisted in refining my though process as a student Physician to better understand the diagnostic and treatment processes.

In many of my rotations, I was an integral part of a team, including senior students, Residents, as well as my Attending's. I was involved in the diagnosis through to the treatment plan, and during the process learned to better myself through didactic teaching as well as guided learning objectives. Of course, where would we all be without being questions from time to time, the good old pimping, yes it happens and CMU prepares you to answer back appropriately. I find my clinical colleagues do not even know they are being "pimped", as we are fully prepared with strong backgrounds.

From an institutional point of view, my personal clinical coordinator has been an extreme wealth of knowledge as well as assistance. Assisting in the right elective options to assist in my future career goals, as well as to round out my education.

Medical Education is a journey, it involves a lot of trust in your self as well as your institution. I will say this, I was with CMU on the Island and am still with CMU now in my fantastic rotations in the USA.

As a Canadian CMU has also scheduled rotations in Canada, to assist in my objective of returning home to practice. I know of fellow colleagues that are in the United Kingdom as well fro rotations and many in other areas of the USA.

As an end note, if you are researching CMU as an Institution, congratulations on your future career path goals, if you are a fellow CMU colleague, add a post and share your experience with the world.

Feel free to ask questions or join into the conversation.

Sincerely,

JVE/PhD.

I am a potential clinical student this Fall. Everyone I have come in contact with has been forthright, honest and helpful. Especially the Dean of Academics and the Dean of Clinical Sciences. My question is, are all of your rotations back to back and ACGME approved?

Thank You.

VMD_Opinionated
07-26-2014, 03:54 PM
I am a potential clinical student this Fall. Everyone I have come in contact with has been forthright, honest and helpful. Especially the Dean of Academics and the Dean of Clinical Sciences. My question is, are all of your rotations back to back and ACGME approved?

Thank You.

Hi, I really don't know if ALL rotations offered are ACGME approved but the ones I have completed are ACGME approved. Regarding being able to do rotations back to back, yes, you can. The clinical director told us that as long as we give him at least one week advance notice about the rotation we want, he can arrange it. In certain occasions he has been able to schedule me with two days advance notice. If a rotation ends on a Sunday, you can start your next rotation the next day Monday. I have met a lot of the other students doing rotations and they have had the same experience as me regarding the schedule. The school has some students who transferred in and who might have graduated in their country but need experience here in the U.S. so I imagine those students might not require the ACGME approval, that's the only reason I cannot say if ALL rotations are ACGME approved. Make sure you ask that when you have your interview. Good luck!

MD.IMG
07-26-2014, 06:05 PM
This is good information. Since the beginning of the process, everyone I have been in contact with has helped guide me. It is the honesty that I value most, especially coming from the Caribbean system. I have spoken to the Clinical Medical Director of Education. He has assured me all are ACGME, but I will bring it up again in my interview.

Thank you and best of luck finishing and match!

cadmd4
07-27-2014, 01:03 PM
Good luck with your interview. Best of luck!

2BNMD
07-27-2014, 03:24 PM
CMU had its first commencement this past April with the class of 2014 consisting of around 15 graduates. The class of 2015 will include close to 80-100 grads, I am looking forward to that.
Of the 15 that graduated on 4/2014, how many matched and are now in residency?

VMD_Opinionated
07-27-2014, 03:43 PM
Of the 15 that graduated on 4/2014, how many matched and are now in residency?

I don't know exactly how many people graduated but what I do know is that applications residency opens on September of 2014 and you don't find out if you matched until March of 2015. Its a very long process its not just graduating and automatically you apply for residency. Those who don't get a residency in March, get to apply again, I believe its in April into those programs who didn't fill up their residency spots.
2BNMD - which semester are you in? If you are not in clinicals yet, as you get near time to apply for residency, the clinical's department will let you know what needs to be done with deadlines etc. They seem to be pretty good at that too!

cadmd4
07-27-2014, 04:32 PM
2BNMD:

A large pool of the initial/current CMU students are transfer or nontraditional students including the class of 2014. So to answer your question-we are still awaiting to acquire that data. Traditionally, students will apply to residency by the end of their 3rd year of med school so as to commence residency right after graduation. In relation to nontraditional applicants (that includes transfer students), some students may choose to wait and apply to the match cycle after completion of their 4th year of medical school.

Although the wait can be tedious, By spring 2016, I think CMU will have accumulated sufficient data on their students' residency match from the 2 graduating classes of 2014/2015.

Hope that answers your question.

Cavalier
07-27-2014, 05:56 PM
That's a very informative post,cadmd4. Thank you. Obviously, potential students are interested in how clinicals, steps and residency are going for current CMU students, so it's good to hear from current students in these threads. I'm looking to apply somewhere for summer or fall 2015 matriculation.

MD.IMG
07-28-2014, 11:42 AM
Good luck with your interview. Best of luck!

Just wanted to send a warm "Thank You" to everyone who responded to my inquiries. As of this morning, I was accepted into the Clinical Medicine Program. This is one of the most joyous days of my medical career.

Hope to meet fellow students on rotation.

cadmd4
07-28-2014, 12:26 PM
That's a very informative post,cadmd4. Thank you. Obviously, potential students are interested in how clinicals, steps and residency are going for current CMU students, so it's good to hear from current students in these threads. I'm looking to apply somewhere for summer or fall 2015 matriculation.

Glad to help and answer any questions.

cadmd4
07-28-2014, 12:29 PM
Just wanted to send a warm "Thank You" to everyone who responded to my inquiries. As of this morning, I was accepted into the Clinical Medicine Program. This is one of the most joyous days of my medical career.

congrats! you will enjoy your time in clinicals.

CMU
07-31-2014, 03:15 PM
Congratulations

verokmed
08-30-2014, 06:05 PM

I had the same feeling when I got accepted into CMU and till now I think it was the best decision I could have made as a transfer student. Thanks CMU

MD.IMG
08-30-2014, 10:23 PM
CMU is amazing!

Redsoxsuck
02-17-2015, 01:49 PM
Has anyone done EM at Mercy hospital in chicago? Trying to find some information regarding its schedule. Since taking CK soon, just want something with a light schedule. Anyone with any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

mjw
02-20-2015, 10:43 PM
I don't always check this site so I'm sorry if you waited for a long time for my reply. I just responded to your PM. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions :)

CMU
02-23-2015, 06:15 AM
CMU is amazing!

Thank you MD.IMG

verokmed
04-23-2015, 05:49 PM
Hey guys I just wanted to know how the clinical rotations are with CMU? Good, Bad, helpful, organized?

Mine so far are very organized with no wait time. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

CMU
06-18-2015, 04:02 AM
Yes the average wait time between rotations is one week

dpmd
06-19-2015, 11:53 AM
if ur a girl from india u might have benefits if he "brown" dean dumps the student hes dating

Medstudentsrus
03-19-2016, 05:12 PM
I'm interested in transferring to CMU. Can I message you directly and ask you some questions and advice that you have?

Medstudentsrus
03-19-2016, 05:18 PM
Are there other areas besides Chicago that offer back to back rotations?

psychvmd
06-24-2016, 12:41 AM

psychvmd
06-24-2016, 12:42 AM

psychvmd
06-25-2016, 07:20 AM
Are there other areas besides Chicago that offer back to back rotations?

psychvmd
06-25-2016, 07:23 AM
Thank you MD.IMG

dr_ratedp
06-25-2016, 11:42 PM
CMU was the best until August 2012 then after that eh

What happen in August 2012?

shanelowney
08-12-2019, 08:50 PM
Now you can start your clinical rotations in the US or Canada, this is only possible with the Caribbean Medical University. All Saints University College Of Medicine (https://allsaintsu.org/about-all-saints-university/) offers clinical rotations in the US & Canadian hospitals. This is the learning time of medical students, students can earn more knowledge from professional doctors.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.