PDA

View Full Version : US Clinicals at Jagiellonian University

Eisenhower
07-05-2014, 11:26 PM
New user, newly admitted to the JU 2018 MD class, plenty of questions.

My two top concerns are US clinicals and prep for Steps 1 and 2. I am trying to get a clear answer on how the situation looks like at JU regarding the US clinicals. I know they have an agreement with Rochester in NY and several CA hospitals, but I need to know how one qualifies for them, whether students spend all their time in one hospital or in a few of the hospitals, how one gets strong LORs from the programs in preparation for the Match, etc, etc.

Other than that, from what I read and head, prep for Steps 1 and 2 is a combo of your study habits and the material in school. I would expect JU to prepare me well for the material, and then just prep hard for the exams with a tutor or by myself. Any comments about how this may not be true are very much appreciated, especially concerning school culture ("learning medicine the Polish way").

Torontomed
08-19-2014, 11:58 AM
BUMP..i'd like to know this as well
also, is 12 weeks enough to apply for residency match in USA? HMI offers 82 weeks of clinicals in USA. I'm wondering if with less amount of weeks, i'll be at a disadvantage.

Jagódka
09-10-2014, 02:50 PM
You might be at a disadvantage if you have MORE THAN 12 WEEKS outside of the country of your medical school.

For example, a Neurology residency at Albany Medical College states that unless you're from one of the medical schools approved by the NYS Education Dept., you will not be accepted for residency if you have more than 12 weeks of clinical rotations outside of the country of your medical school. Surprisingly only two Polish medical schools are approved and listed on their website, Medical University of Lublin and Medical University of Silesia.

www[.]amc[.]edu/Academic/GME/programs/Neurology/requirements_and_eligibility[.]cfm

Jagódka
09-10-2014, 02:56 PM
I'm assuming the other Polish medical schools are not approved by the NYS Education Dept. and you can't do more than 12 weeks outside of Poland???

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.