PDA

View Full Version : University of Szeged 2014 admission

spaaace
06-08-2014, 06:44 PM
Hey guys anyone thinking/knows they are going to Szeged this year?
can I also ask what current students think about the English medicine program in Szeged?
Are there any preparation you guys would consider essential before coming to Hungary?

How is the accommodation like in Szeged?

many thanks for your help guys :)

CyrusDaGreat
06-14-2014, 09:47 AM
Small city, Friendly ppl and full of students but university is DISASTER.

spaaace
06-14-2014, 12:24 PM
Small city, Friendly ppl and full of students but university is DISASTER.
could you please elaborate?

CyrusDaGreat
06-15-2014, 03:46 AM
Education system is old and not standard, they dont teach nothing and most of the exams are taken in oral
If you fail any compulsory subject you cant continue to next year and do it again, you have to wait one hole year to do it. and each year you repeat you have to pay more tuition like new students.
The practicals are horrible but they may teach some theoretical stuff.
The student office is disaster and after they charge you for 15000 usd per year they even charge you for small things again and you cant complain about anything.
university itself dont even have cafeteria or anything place which ppl relax between classes.

the only place i would recommend you in hungary is budapest (semmelweis)

spaaace
06-15-2014, 06:16 PM
Education system is old and not standard, they dont teach nothing and most of the exams are taken in oral
If you fail any compulsory subject you cant continue to next year and do it again, you have to wait one hole year to do it. and each year you repeat you have to pay more tuition like new students.
The practicals are horrible but they may teach some theoretical stuff.
The student office is disaster and after they charge you for 15000 usd per year they even charge you for small things again and you cant complain about anything.
university itself dont even have cafeteria or anything place which ppl relax between classes.

the only place i would recommend you in hungary is budapest (semmelweis)

thanks for your reply!

about the orals: this is standard for any med school with any traditionally taught medicine course (from what i've read at least.. please correct me if i'm wrong).. how does semmelweis differ?

what small things did the student office charge you for?

mind if i ask what year are you in at the moment? how are the lectures? what about the attitude of the lecturers/staff?

CyrusDaGreat
06-16-2014, 10:22 AM
Semmelweis has better and bigger International community, and most of semifinal and some of final exams are written and you can carry one compulsory subject to next year (less possibility to repeat a year). in szeged even if you fail Hungarian Language you repeat a whole year.
Student office try to charge you as much as they can even for small things like transcripts or certificates or even for repeating exams or delay in course registration or ... which im my opinion its is so cheap after they charge for 15k and take so much of your time and its all for free in semmelweis for example.
lectures and stuff is up to departments, some are good and restrict to attend, some are useless.

trust me most of the students in szeged they wish they could transfer to budapest

spaaace
07-13-2014, 12:29 PM
Semmelweis has better and bigger International community, and most of semifinal and some of final exams are written and you can carry one compulsory subject to next year (less possibility to repeat a year). in szeged even if you fail Hungarian Language you repeat a whole year.
Student office try to charge you as much as they can even for small things like transcripts or certificates or even for repeating exams or delay in course registration or ... which im my opinion its is so cheap after they charge for 15k and take so much of your time and its all for free in semmelweis for example.
lectures and stuff is up to departments, some are good and restrict to attend, some are useless.

trust me most of the students in szeged they wish they could transfer to budapest

szeged has a new dean.. things could be looking up! i saw your post in another thread you were looking to transfer, did you manage to find somewhere to go btw? i hope you don't mind me asking

--

for anyone looking for accommodation in szeged, I've just come back from a trip there

i hope the info below is useful to people in my situation:

for single room apartment prices are between 30000-60000HUF (excluding gas, electricity, etc)
flat shares are usually less expensive than 60000HUF as bills are typically shared
anything more expensive has to have more space, and some extra comfort specification (like floor heating, brand new kitchen & bathroom etc)
rent gets more expensive the closer you are to town centre
the rent usually does not include house bills (gas, electricity, broadband etc) or the common services cost (maintenance of the exterior, garbage services, etc)

look for rents with landlords who can speak your language

also, szeged international student office has created a new group to help people find accommodation in szeged. join the facebook group here: facebook.com/groups/1501524163395475/

CyrusDaGreat
07-14-2014, 01:21 PM
i just told you my honest opinion, choice is yours...
yes i just got my acceptance letter from charles university of prague

CanadianMedStudent
07-15-2014, 11:53 PM
i just told you my honest opinion, choice is yours...
yes i just got my acceptance letter from charles university of prague
Were your credits transferable? I was just accepted into Pecs and Szeged university which of the two would you recommend? I was leaning towards Pecs because I was advised the first semester is a bit easier since you don't start off with anatomy. I didn't do the exam for Semmelweis because in June they told me it was tough to get in since the spots were all taken up. I'm 19 turning 20 this year, if it's extremely difficult to get back to America or Canada from Pecs I will take a year off and apply elsewhere if I have to. What would you recommend?

CyrusDaGreat
07-22-2014, 03:41 PM
Not all of the credits but enough not to start from 1st semester
i dont know about canada but to go to america no matter where you graduate you have to do the USMLE.
i really cant recommend between szeged and pecs cause im not sure if pecs is easier that szeged but i can tell you some of the detail differences i know.
as u said in pecs there is no anatomy in first semester and they have subjects like histology and embryology in separate subjects as in szeged is all together in one subject. but as szeged anatomy department said from next year there wont be any final exams in 4th semester which is one of the multistep exam with huge material. and one morething about szeged is in 3rd year the subject called pathophysiology which is not standard and extremely difficult in a unfair as they know and they change the exam type every year from multiple choice to essay to oral ... but is pecs is piece of cake.
but after 3rd year its all over in szeged. The main problem with exams in szeged is no matter how prepared you are you need to be luck to pass , its so much up to you examiner and your topic.
good luck

Were your credits transferable? I was just accepted into Pecs and Szeged university which of the two would you recommend? I was leaning towards Pecs because I was advised the first semester is a bit easier since you don't start off with anatomy. I didn't do the exam for Semmelweis because in June they told me it was tough to get in since the spots were all taken up. I'm 19 turning 20 this year, if it's extremely difficult to get back to America or Canada from Pecs I will take a year off and apply elsewhere if I have to. What would you recommend?

CanadianMedStudent
07-22-2014, 09:36 PM
Not all of the credits but enough not to start from 1st semester
i dont know about canada but to go to america no matter where you graduate you have to do the USMLE.
i really cant recommend between szeged and pecs cause im not sure if pecs is easier that szeged but i can tell you some of the detail differences i know.
as u said in pecs there is no anatomy in first semester and they have subjects like histology and embryology in separate subjects as in szeged is all together in one subject. but as szeged anatomy department said from next year there wont be any final exams in 4th semester which is one of the multistep exam with huge material. and one morething about szeged is in 3rd year the subject called pathophysiology which is not standard and extremely difficult in a unfair as they know and they change the exam type every year from multiple choice to essay to oral ... but is pecs is piece of cake.
but after 3rd year its all over in szeged. The main problem with exams in szeged is no matter how prepared you are you need to be luck to pass , its so much up to you examiner and your topic.
good luck
Thanks Cyrus for your answer. I'm picking Pecs over Szeged despite the fact it has a lower ranking and I'm going to see how it is. If I don't like living in Pecs I'll apply to go to Semmelweis in September 2015. I'm young so a year of studying at Pecs probably won't affect much and it would most likely help me out. I'm going to give it my all there and being after from the big city parties and all might be a big help for a young guy like me. If anyone needs advice or information PM me :) It be cool to meet other students heading to Pecs next year.

CyrusDaGreat
07-24-2014, 03:16 PM
i would do the same, university of pecs is the first english medical school in hungary for 40 years , i can tell you its a bit smaller than szeged but better atmosphere , more german and scandinavian students, in szeged most fo the students are from spain arab countries and israel.
you can even finish first two years in pecs then transfer to semmelwiese and continue from 3rd year but it requires good marks!!!
Good Luck
Thanks Cyrus for your answer. I'm picking Pecs over Szeged despite the fact it has a lower ranking and I'm going to see how it is. If I don't like living in Pecs I'll apply to go to Semmelweis in September 2015. I'm young so a year of studying at Pecs probably won't affect much and it would most likely help me out. I'm going to give it my all there and being after from the big city parties and all might be a big help for a young guy like me. If anyone needs advice or information PM me :) It be cool to meet other students heading to Pecs next year.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.