PDA

View Full Version : Joining Pre med program

dolut
05-29-2014, 05:11 PM
I am a Canadian living in Brampton Ontario and wish to join Pre Med program soon after my school grade 12 graduation. I would like to have some input from those Canadians who are gone through the same process. Any advise.

SWOLL68
05-30-2014, 09:27 AM
I'm not a Canadian, but as a good Samaritan, here is a word of advice.

I don't know your background or what your intentions are with practicing, but as with any high school graduate (I preach this religiously to everyone who asks), if you intend to practice in the states (I'm talking specifically in the states, I don't know about Canada's restrictions), you run the risk of not having the required number of undergraduate credit hours needed for licensure. Take Illinois for example. The state requires you to have a minimum of 90 undergraduate credit hours in order to obtain a license. Quite a few states in the US have these requirements. Meaning that you'll go through four years at Windsor, apply and possibly match into residency, only to find out that you can't get a license in the state you matched in. I'm not trying to discourage or demean you, I just don't want you to get blindsided by something.

houmd
05-30-2014, 04:20 PM
that and not to mention the odds of getting competitive specialties are next to zero when it comes to carib schools.

Don't be an idiot following everyone from brampton into windsor based on hearsay.

Go to undergrad and do well, then apply to canadian and US schools.

dolut
05-30-2014, 04:30 PM
I highly appreciate your sincere response. For further clarification let me give you some more detail:

My son will be completing his high school graduation or Grade 12 next month from Brampton, Ontario, Canada. Most of his credits are in science related subjects such as Bio, Math, Chenistry etc. His chances of getting Residency in Canada upon competion of his Pre Med and MD prorgram are very slim. As I understand the competition in Cananda is much tough than in USA. I am not implying that it would be easy in USA.

When you say 90 undergraduate credit does that mean the credit at unversity or thay will include high school credit.

houmd
05-30-2014, 08:08 PM
It means undergraduate credits. Trust me, it is a LOT better to finish an undergrad. And DO NOT send your son to a caribbean school. It is a TERRIBLE idea. This is coming from a graduate who obtained residency. Most do not, and most spend tens of thousands of dollars and end up with nothing. A huge chunk of those kids are all from brampton

PnS11
05-31-2014, 02:14 PM
Speaking on the Brampton thing, most of the students from the GTA are students that do not have good study habits to begin with. I mean, that could be the entire Carib student population and that is why they are there, but I'll paint with a broad brush and broad strokes and say that Windsor recruits students heavily from the GTA and it pulls in students that you would otherwise not really want around your kids.

You're from Brampton, so you know those types of people in your area. Some nice, some not so. I have never seen such immature students in my life. This actually goes for Windsor as a whole. But this does not change whether you are at Windsor or Ross or SGU. Those types of students still manage to weasel their way in, but are promptly weeded out. At Windsor, they are not. They are allowed to fail and fester in their own filth and find other students that are doing the same thing. Enter the Snowball Effect and you've placed your student right in the middle of it.

I deviated a bit, but back on topic. The worst students I have seen at Windsor are students that come straight out of high school and have a sense of entitlement when walking onto the campus for the first time. That their MD will be handed to them just for attending classes, and that attending classes automatically warrants an A on an exam and in the class. These students are young yet stubborn and begin to act out during their time on the island. You can ask someone for criminal reports and see how many Windsor students make the list. Most of them, again, are young students from Toronto.

No one stops these kids from doing these things because the school has their tuition check and the students' parents are either too far away to find out anything or too far away to do anything. Many of these parents are delusional and make their children the same as well. They want their children to be doctors so bad, they'll spend any amount of money to make it happen. As houmd said, many students do not end up matching and have wasted nearly $100K on just tuition alone. Forget housing and other personal spending.

Send your child to a Canadian university. Teach him/her to do their best regardless of whether their ship has sailed on a US or Canadian medical school. At the end of uni, have him reassess whether he still wishes to pursue medicine and move on from there. By having big plans for your child to attend Windsor before even graduating high school shows that either you or your child is trying to take the quickest route possible for an MD. And that's ok, you are not alone. Everyone's parents are like that, but if parents knew that they were actually setting their child up to be knocked down (statistically speaking, no match) then I think most parents would stop dead in their tracks and encourage their child to go to university and learn and grow, and not simply have a stepping stone in to Windsor.

It's a harsh truth to swallow, especially when your own parent is a physician (personal experience) but it is a lesson always better learned too early than too late.

Send him to university. If he has trouble with the sciences there, that is not a good sign for the sciences needed in medical school. That is a Litmus Test for whether your child can handle medical school, at this point in time, or not. Don't subject your child to either becoming a typical Windsor student or being surrounded by them. Not this early. Give him a chance to grow before sending him 1000s of miles away for one of the most challenging professions.

If you want to speak directly to students, I think this Facebook group will help more than VMD. Students there are in the very early stages of Windsor. They have not been subjected to the harsh reality of just the first test of strength, the Step 1. They will explain the island life very well and accurately, but take their words on academics there with a grain of salt.

Just my two cents.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/228477390536257/

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.