PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Highest Match Percentages (non-Caribbean Nations)

devildoc8404
05-16-2014, 06:27 AM
Soooo... from the "Fun Facts To Know And Tell Department."

I am waiting for a research meeting to start and compiled this list, which might be interesting to some.

Based on the 2014 US match data, this shows all 11 of the non-Caribbean countries -- with more than 50 applicants -- that successfully placed more than 50% of their applicants in the match.

Note: This does not include any graduates who obtained a residency position outside the match, which is much rarer but still occurs in some cases since the implementation of the "all-in" requirement, and it does not include any countries that had fewer than 50 applicants to the US match because those nations are not individually tracked in the ECFMG data. The countries with fewer than 50 applicants end up grouped in a separate "All Other" category, which FWIW had aggregate stats of 906 matched, 1335 unmatched, at a 40.43% clip.

(Country - Matched Applicants - Unmatched Applicants - Percentage)
1) Israel - 90 - 29 - 75.63%
2) Ireland - 46 - 20 - 69.70%
3) Lebanon - 71 - 38 - 65.14%
4) Venezuela - 50 - 32 - 60.98%
5) Germany - 39 - 32 - 54.93%
6) Peru - 35 - 29 - 54.69%
7) Jordan - 77 - 66 - 53.85%
8) Colombia - 43 - 37 - 53.75%
9) South Korea - 30 - 29 - 50.85%
10) Mexico - 126 - 123 - 50.60%
11) Syria - 80 - 79 - 50.31%

No other non-Caribbean nations (with more than 50 applicants total) had their medical schools matching more than 50% of their applicants. I found this to be quite an eclectic list, with countries from the Middle East, Europe, South America, and Asia all represented.

Source: http://www.ecfmg.org/resources/NRMP-ECFMG-Charting-Outcomes-in-the-Match-International-Medical-Graduates-2014.pdf

leadsled
05-17-2014, 12:35 PM
No other non-Caribbean nations (with more than 50 applicants total) had their medical schools matching more than 50% of their applicants. I found this to be quite an eclectic list, with countries from the Middle East, Europe, South America, and Asia all represented.

Source: http://www.ecfmg.org/resources/NRMP-ECFMG-Charting-Outcomes-in-the-Match-International-Medical-Graduates-2014.pdf

Perhaps Caribbean medical schools have that factory mass production taste? However, a significant number of Caribbean schools have a much higher percentage of their graduates apply to US residencies compared with other nations! For example, Mexico had 249 applicants and a 50% match rate but the country of Mexico graduates thousands of Physicians a year with only a handful applying for a US residency.

Except for Cuba, Jamaica, Dominican Republic and perhaps Haiti, the "other" Caribbean medical schools produce a very small number of Physicians that end up practicing in the Caribbean. Hence, these schools are a "factory" to produce Physicians for other countries unlike the countries you mentioned. In a global sense, my guess is that the majority of graduates are trained and licensed to practice in the country they attended medical school.

devildoc8404
05-17-2014, 02:17 PM
Well, I did not intend for the list to be a dig at Carib schools. The good schools there are very good indeed. I do agree that the overwhelming number of Carib schools catering to the US market rather skews the data from Carib countries, and I was actually more interested in where the European countries matched up with other foreign countries around the globe, as far as US match rates are concerned.

(I did not expect Israel's match rate to be that high, frankly, with the amount of peeing and moaning that often seems to go on in the Israeli school thread on VMD.) :)

jafx
05-19-2014, 06:56 PM
Well, I did not intend for the list to be a dig at Carib schools. The good schools there are very good indeed. I do agree that the overwhelming number of Carib schools catering to the US market rather skews the data from Carib countries, and I was actually more interested in where the European countries matched up with other foreign countries around the globe, as far as US match rates are concerned.

(I did not expect Israel's match rate to be that high, frankly, with the amount of peeing and moaning that often seems to go on in the Israeli school thread on VMD.) :)

I'm not surprised. I'm a Jew and a great number of my people go into medicine, are in control of the medical establishment, etc... No surprise to me AT ALL that they match that high. Not saying it's right, but I'm sure there's some favoritism going on there.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.