PDA

View Full Version : Important Questions

netmondon
05-12-2014, 10:39 PM
Hi I have some questions about CMU that I would like answered:

1) Which states are CMU graduates NOT allowed to practice in? I can't find this information anywhere at all. Are they allowed to practice in all 50 states because CMU is not on the California disapproval list. And I would think that since CMU has hospital affiliations in the states listed on the website that the graduates would be able to practice in the states where the Clinical rotations took place. Is this correct? I would like to practice in Florida and keep my options open.

2) Does anyone know anything about the placement of the graduates from CMU as far as residency is concerned? I would like to know how the majority of the graduates from CMU fair in the Match every year. I am primarily interested in internal medicine and practicing in the US. I am a US citizen.

3) Does CMU have rotation locations in Miami, FL? I have seen some information on the CMU forum on their website but I am not sure if they still have clinical affiliations with hospitals/clinics in Miami in particular.

So far I think CMU looks like an excellent choice for medical education considering the location, the loan program, potential scholarships, dorms, small class size, etc. that most other Caribbean schools don't have going for themselves, which makes CMU a potential choice in my book. But I would like to know more about these topics.

Only serious informative answers please.

Thanks

verokmed
05-16-2014, 06:03 PM
1) We can apply for a license in all 50 states except CA. FL and NY limit number of weeks of clinical rotations there.
2) Since CMU is pretty new school, our first graduating class of 4 last year, 3 of them got residency in a first match. Here is a link of one of them Summa Medical Education - Internal Medicine (http://meded.summahealth.org/residency-programs/internal-medicine/2013-2014-residents/internal-medicine)
3) Yes we do but there is a limit of number of weeks you can do it there. Contact the Clinical Department for more info

I agree with you. When I transfered to CMU we had about 40 students 2 years ago. Now there are almost 700 so I truly recommend it to anyone that has issues with their current school or to potential new students.

GIinthesky
05-17-2014, 10:57 AM
Where have the other two gotten residency? That seems to be the only one shown so far.

devildoc8404
05-17-2014, 01:48 PM
1) We can apply for a license in all 50 states except CA.

Unfortunately, that is incorrect. There are a number of other states which follow the California Board of Medicine's approval list. I do not know all of the current states off hand, but Vermont, New Mexico, Indiana, one of the Dakotas (I always forget which one), and a few others will also not license a graduate from a non-approved school. Last time I checked the list was somewhere between 8-10 states.

Students at schools that are not approved by the CBM need to check with the state medical board for each state that interests them to determine the viability of the medical degree in their desired location(s) for residency training and practice. California itself is just the tip of the iceberg in that regard.

Scott1981
05-19-2014, 08:48 PM
2) Since CMU is pretty new school, our first graduating class of 4 last year, 3 of them got residency in a first match. Here is a link of one of them Summa Medical Education - Internal Medicine (http://meded.summahealth.org/residency-programs/internal-medicine/2013-2014-residents/internal-medicine).

I have been around VMD to remember CMU's roots back in 2007. It started from utter deception that emanated from their website. Not going to rehash all the deception from CMU back in the day. It's all logged on VMD if one wants to search to the first few pages of the CMU VMD forum.

what is concerning is your remark about having 4 residents despite the school being opened for 7 to 8 years. Care to explain what they have listed on their website regarding the pie graph about current residents? Is this more deception on their website since you said your first graduating close only had 4 matches? Your website seems to act as if there are many more.
CMU | Residency Match Program (http://www.cmumed.org/academics/residency.htm)

CMU
05-20-2014, 11:26 AM
Thats good that you mentioned the past and all the oposition we got at the beginning. You should check the posts of 2010 and 2011 to notice that we got IMED and WHO accreditations back then therefore you cannot expect huge number of graduates in residency cause the first class graduated last year and out of 4, 3 got the residency. Now CMU has over 600 students and this year over 50 will be graduating and you will see the residency placement.

MDOnly
05-20-2014, 11:34 AM
Thats good that you mentioned the past and all the oposition we got at the beginning. You should check the posts of 2010 and 2011 to notice that we got IMED and WHO accreditations back then therefore you cannot expect huge number of graduates in residency cause the first class graduated last year and out of 4, 3 got the residency. Now CMU has over 600 students and this year over 50 will be graduating and you will see the residency placement.

CMU, Scott1981 raised a question that still is not answered. I am looking for a Medical School where I would like to transfer and continue my clinical rotations. Your list of affiliated hospitals is very impressive. However, the Pie chart that is available on your website which breaks down the residency matching by field (in %) does not match the fact that only 3/4 students have matched thus far. Please elaborate on this please.

Scott1981
05-20-2014, 01:36 PM

it certainly was not unfounded opposition. your website was a copy past of SGU's website. the school did not start back in 2007 without a veil of deceit in my opinion......however, that was back in 2007...... things could have changed since then. no point in rehashing the past.

lets talk about the present. you claim that you have three students in residency for your first class.

so, referencing your website pie graph located here: CMU | Residency Match Program (http://www.cmumed.org/academics/residency.htm)

after a bunch of marketing claiming that "your graduates are found in the most competitive residencies....and have distinguished themselves as chief residents, fellows, and researchers" your website states "below, please find details on the residency placements of our graduates"

then you have a pie graph listing the following in (%):

family practice (36)
internal medicine(31)
peds(7)
psych(6)
surgery(4)
ob/gyn(13)
emergency medicine(3)

so, might i ask you why you continue to mislead those on your website? one doesnt need to be a statistician to know that you cant cut your three prior graduates that matched into a pie graph like that.

devildoc8404
05-20-2014, 03:48 PM
Unless those residents are clones.

(In which case the US primary care physician shortage may well be solved, and the nation will owe CMU a great debt of gratitude.)

Scott1981
05-22-2014, 08:24 AM
very interesting that there was no response by the CMU rep. i guess silence is golden in this case.

medic300107
05-22-2014, 09:28 AM
Yeah also to anyone transfering just an FYI you can't go to a new school and expect to get licensure in any state the new school has. If your previous school wasn't accredited/approved than the new school won't change that unless you start over. Lastly Kansas requires a school to be IMED for 10 years before offering licenses so cross that off the list as well.

MDOnly
05-22-2014, 03:18 PM

devildoc8404
05-25-2014, 09:20 PM
It just goes to support that whole conspiracy theory about clones.

(I mean, assuming there is a conspiracy theory about clones.)

Scott1981
05-26-2014, 01:06 AM
It just goes to support that whole conspiracy theory about clones.

(I mean, assuming there is a conspiracy theory about clones.)

i am amazed how fast the CMU representative and other CMU supportive posters disappeared after some real solid questions about deceit on their website. Based on that, I suspect a lot is just smoke and mirrors. It appears not a whole lot has changed since 2007. What a shame.

verokmed
05-27-2014, 08:54 AM
Unlike you I cant seat the whole day and post negative comments on VMD casue Im studying. Im still trying to figure out how come a "Board Certified Internal Medicine" graduate, has so much time to waist on VMD.

Look at your Deceiving posts back in 2007 and how you were sure the school didnt have any future. What a shame. Now CMU is one of the biggest schools in the Caribbean and the only reason it doesn't have that many residents yet, is because the first graduating class obtained their MD degrees last year.

Scott1981
05-27-2014, 10:18 AM
Unlike you I cant seat the whole day and post negative comments on VMD casue Im studying. Im still trying to figure out how come a "Board Certified Internal Medicine" graduate, has so much time to waist on VMD.

Look at your Deceiving posts back in 2007 and how you were sure the school didnt have any future. What a shame. Now CMU is one of the biggest schools in the Caribbean and the only reason it doesn't have that many residents yet, is because the first graduating class obtained their MD degrees last year.

How hard is it to make a post on VMD?

So, might I ask you as I have the CMU rep.....care to explain your school's website? Your school's website is advertising quite a large alumni base that have achieved residencies in many different specialties...... not just one graduating class of 4 matches.

Just my personal honest opinion...... but I would not recommend anybody to your school. I have seen no track record at all and see some inconsistencies on the website.

I have seen this time and time again over the 10 plus years of posting on VMD. I have seen schools come and go. I have seen school administrators post on VMD posing as students, and I have seen schools blatantly lie on their website. I have also seen advertisers pose as students. This game is not new. This is just what I have encountered over the years.

Some schools shut down, some changed names 3-4 times, etc. At some point, people who question the schools get accused by others of being "agents" of other schools.

So, back to the point. What is going on with your website?

GIinthesky
06-01-2014, 01:34 AM
Interestingly, the graph is no longer on the website.

Scott1981
06-01-2014, 07:02 AM
Very interesting. Funny that they still list that their graduates have distinguished themselves as chief residents and fellows. Kind of hard to do when you only have 4 interns in residency.

Cavalier
07-18-2014, 04:34 PM
"Funny that they still list that their graduates have distinguished themselves as chief residents and fellows. Kind of hard to do when you only have 4 interns in residency."
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Not funny, as there are pre-meds looking at their mendacious marketing. Sorry, But I see no credible path to medical residency or licensure in any state in the united states through CMU.

Cavalier
07-18-2014, 05:17 PM
Im studying. Im still trying to figure out how come a "Board Certified Internal Medicine" graduate, has so much time to waist on VMD.......What a shame. Now CMU is one of the biggest schools in the Caribbean and the only reason it doesn't have that many residents yet, is because the first graduating class obtained their MD degrees last year.

How many will apply for the match?

1215Ethix
05-09-2015, 08:21 PM
CMU rep stays quiet wondering what to say next to a difficult question-it's a CMU tradition!

devildoc8404
05-10-2015, 08:57 AM
it's a CMU tradition!

All illustrious institutions of higher learning have their traditions.

(At this one, they seem to include radio silence and cloning... but at least that is something!)

1215Ethix
05-10-2015, 10:37 AM
CMU, Scott1981 raised a question that still is not answered. I am looking for a Medical School where I would like to transfer and continue my clinical rotations. Your list of affiliated hospitals is very impressive. However, the Pie chart that is available on your website which breaks down the residency matching by field (in %) does not match the fact that only 3/4 students have matched thus far. Please elaborate on this please.
CMU list of affiliated hospitals would be impressive only if it was legitimate but in reality, CMU's clinical rotations are handled by a third party agency and the only rotations they have are in Chicago and Atlanta. CMU is not recognized in Florida and Lake Shore Hospital is in Ohio, not Indiana.

verokmed
05-16-2015, 04:57 PM
What third party agency you are talking about??? Well, looks like you are banned for not playing nice.

CMU
06-18-2015, 03:58 AM
Hi I have some questions about CMU that I would like answered:

1) Which states are CMU graduates NOT allowed to practice in? I can't find this information anywhere at all. Are they allowed to practice in all 50 states because CMU is not on the California disapproval list. And I would think that since CMU has hospital affiliations in the states listed on the website that the graduates would be able to practice in the states where the Clinical rotations took place. Is this correct? I would like to practice in Florida and keep my options open.

2) Does anyone know anything about the placement of the graduates from CMU as far as residency is concerned? I would like to know how the majority of the graduates from CMU fair in the Match every year. I am primarily interested in internal medicine and practicing in the US. I am a US citizen.

3) Does CMU have rotation locations in Miami, FL? I have seen some information on the CMU forum on their website but I am not sure if they still have clinical affiliations with hospitals/clinics in Miami in particular.

So far I think CMU looks like an excellent choice for medical education considering the location, the loan program, potential scholarships, dorms, small class size, etc. that most other Caribbean schools don't have going for themselves, which makes CMU a potential choice in my book. But I would like to know more about these topics.

Only serious informative answers please.

Thanks

1. CMU grads are not allowed to practice in all 50 states. We are not approved in CA but thats the case with most of the Caribbean medical schools
2. CMU's new website is being built and residency match will be posted there
3. Yes we do but there is state limitation so you would need to contact the Clinical Department to find the current possibilities.

DrRetro
09-01-2015, 06:02 PM
2. CMU's new website is being built and residency match will be posted there

Hi there. Just wondering how many students graduated this last May/June 2015 from CMU and of those grads, how many matched for this past July 1st? A list of specialties and hospital affiliations would be appreciated. I cannot seem to find anything about it on the CMU website. Thanks!

CMU
11-20-2015, 01:14 PM
You can request this information from the CS Department. We had about 30 students graduation last semester and we will soon post residency info on our website.

psychvmd
11-27-2015, 12:39 AM
1) We can apply for a license in all 50 states except CA. FL and NY limit number of weeks of clinical rotations there.
2) Since CMU is pretty new school, our first graduating class of 4 last year, 3 of them got residency in a first match. Here is a link of one of them Summa Medical Education - Internal Medicine (http://meded.summahealth.org/residency-programs/internal-medicine/2013-2014-residents/internal-medicine)
3) Yes we do but there is a limit of number of weeks you can do it there. Contact the Clinical Department for more info

I agree with you. When I transfered to CMU we had about 40 students 2 years ago. Now there are almost 700 so I truly recommend it to anyone that has issues with their current school or to potential new students.

psychvmd
11-27-2015, 12:42 AM

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.