PDA

View Full Version : Americans look here.

11madmic
04-24-2014, 06:08 PM
I am an american who goes to this school currently, and will not continue my studies here. I would like everyone to make sure you know all the facts before making the decision.
If you are an american and want to practice in the US, make sure you realize your chances before studying at a foreign medical school. and make sure you know everything about this school.
I was under the impression from the school and through the recruiting agency that this school helps americans and is a very good school to be able to get a residency once graduating, well not all true.
Firstly, this school lost all eligibility for Direct loans BECAUSE the USMLE scores are very bad at this school (USMLE scores also determine residency). I might add i was told this school was eligible and will continue to receive direct loans before starting my studies here.
Once i got here i started talking to a few upperclassmen (5th year),they decided to not even bother taking the USMLE because they knew they had no chance to get a residency anyways. Instead they will go to UK and work. And also told me they would have tried for medical school in the US if they could do it over. Not only are the scores here suffering lately, but to make the issue worse, less residency positions will be available to US-IMG in the near future as more US trained medical graduates will be graduating soon with the same amount of residency positions.
I will add that some of the teachers here are awesome. but some here lack too. but i assume thats common anywhere.
my final conclusion. Make sure you know your facts, dont always believe the school, double check your info.
If your goal is to practice in the US, you are seriously gambling alot of money and alot of time. And if you rely on FASFA, this school will not be eligible anymore. although you can take sallie mae loans. Student beware.

molecularkid
04-26-2014, 05:38 PM
first of thanks for informing us that the step 1 scores are bad in gdansk.

the upperclassmen that have decided to not take the USMLE. they are american? and if they are non-eu how do they plan on getting a job in UK?

what about education though? if you decide to complete your education, would you say that you would have become a great doc? able to compete with the rest of them from the states/canada?

devildoc8404
04-26-2014, 06:12 PM
ANY American student who wants to work as a doc in the US should exhaust all opportunities for US medical schools (MD or DO) before going overseas. The students who did not do so, quite simply, were most likely either looking for a shortcut (nope) or did not do their due diligence.

It is (currently, at least) still possible for people graduating from E-EU medical schools to match in the US. Classmates from my school did so this year, and last year... but you cannot skate by and bust your butt at the end to try to match. It is a long and arduous process, and you have to study hard-core the whole time, take the USMLE Steps on time, and get your butt prepared (with USCE, as well, ideally).

It sounds more to me like these students started late, and were/are simply not confident in their own ability to pass the Steps... which certainly does make them unlikely to match in the US, but that is not necessarily the school's fault. It is a Polish medical school, so to expect that they are going to be fully on top of things for something like the US match process is a bit rich. If they are telling people otherwise, then that is one thing, but far too many American students make assumptions about foreign medical schools and their level of "help" with the acquisition of a US residency.

Oh, and not for nothing, but unless these upperclassmen have EU or UK citizenship, they will probably not be getting hired for specialty training in the UK due to strict laws governing work visas. Their diplomas will be fully accepted by the GMC, sure, but they will not be able to get a job unless it can be demonstrated that there are NO EU/UK citizens who could be hired for that position (i.e. not bloody likely.) They must not have investigated that option very thoroughly, either.

duzzy
05-09-2014, 07:17 AM
I am an american who goes to this school currently, and will not continue my studies here. I would like everyone to make sure you know all the facts before making the decision.
If you are an american and want to practice in the US, make sure you realize your chances before studying at a foreign medical school. and make sure you know everything about this school.
I was under the impression from the school and through the recruiting agency that this school helps americans and is a very good school to be able to get a residency once graduating, well not all true.
Firstly, this school lost all eligibility for Direct loans BECAUSE the USMLE scores are very bad at this school (USMLE scores also determine residency). I might add i was told this school was eligible and will continue to receive direct loans before starting my studies here.
Once i got here i started talking to a few upperclassmen (5th year),they decided to not even bother taking the USMLE because they knew they had no chance to get a residency anyways. Instead they will go to UK and work. And also told me they would have tried for medical school in the US if they could do it over. Not only are the scores here suffering lately, but to make the issue worse, less residency positions will be available to US-IMG in the near future as more US trained medical graduates will be graduating soon with the same amount of residency positions.
I will add that some of the teachers here are awesome. but some here lack too. but i assume thats common anywhere.
my final conclusion. Make sure you know your facts, dont always believe the school, double check your info.
If your goal is to practice in the US, you are seriously gambling alot of money and alot of time. And if you rely on FASFA, this school will not be eligible anymore. although you can take sallie mae loans. Student beware.

I think you're being a little biased because of the loan situation. Who said the school won't be eligible anymore?

11madmic
05-09-2014, 07:41 AM
double post-deleted

11madmic
05-09-2014, 07:45 AM
the admissions office told me the school is no longer eligible based on the USMLE score. right from the source. But if your starting school now its a bit worrisome due to the US residency situation on US-IMG. for people graduating now or in a year or 2 its a completely different story, they have it much easier that people graduating in 5 years from now

and about working in UK, a lot of americans here are dual citizens and they have that additional option of working in EU because of it.

duzzy
05-09-2014, 07:55 AM
the admissions office told me the school is no longer eligible based on the USMLE score. right from the source. But if your starting school now its a bit worrisome due to the US residency situation on US-IMG. for people graduating now or in a year or 2 its a completely different story, they have it much easier that people graduating in 5 years from now

and about working in UK, a lot of americans here are dual citizens and they have that additional option of working in EU because of it.

I guess it's official then. Ya I know about the residency problem. If you get a 240 on step 1 you'll still get whatever you want.

devildoc8404
05-09-2014, 08:57 AM
If you get a 240 on step 1 you'll still get whatever you want.

"Whatever you want?!"

Ummmm... no. No, you won't. Your chances to match will certainly increase, but you will still be at a competitive disadvantage and (especially) will need to apply broadly and intelligently. The upper echelons of the ROADS specialties will still be a heck of a reach in most cases... it appears that you are dramatically underestimating the competition level at 240.

duzzy
05-09-2014, 09:05 AM
"Whatever you want?!"

Ummmm... no. No, you won't. Your chances to match will certainly increase, but you will still be at a competitive disadvantage and (especially) will need to apply broadly and intelligently. The upper echelons of the ROADS specialties will still be a heck of a reach in most cases... it appears that you are dramatically underestimating the competition level at 240.

Ok, you won't get whatever you want but you'll definitely be in the running for a speciality that you desire. Maybe it won't be in Northwestern Hospital or some other top-tier hospital but you'll be able to place somewhere in something. Then again I might be just trying to make myself feel better.

devildoc8404
05-09-2014, 09:10 AM
I, for one, hope that you get a great match. Just remember that even with a 240 (+) there are still a lot of variables as a foreign grad, and you will need to be extremely strategic and proactive in order to get what you want... or something akin to it.

duzzy
05-11-2014, 06:10 AM
Meh, doesn't matter anyways. With the loans went my chances of finishing at this school.

reichmann
05-14-2014, 06:55 AM
All the students who passed the usmle (with any grade whether 200 or 240) received placement in the past 2 years. The direct loans have been halted for this academic year, and may return a year or 2 later. Whether the scores are low, yes this past year just below the 75% pass mark. For those who decided not to write the usmle and work elsewhere is an individual choice. Whether it be Norway, UK, or Germany. Those who hold a non EEA passport, may still write the SJT AND PLAB, and enter FY1 in the UK. Those with a dual passport, are not required to write the PLAB. At this time entry into the U.S. seems like a plausible option if only you are willing to put in the time to prep for the usmle. As for the upperclassmen who believe have no choice of ever working in the u.s. Sounds like an exaggerated generalization especially in the recent years when all who passed obtained placement. It would be a different story if the students passed the usmle, attempted work in the states, and were rejected after a proper prep for the Match, then there may be an evident dilemma. "They knew they had no chance to get residency anyways", is rather far fetched, try first, speak to the ones who got in, many more of those.

mberger
05-14-2014, 07:39 AM
You have to put in the time and do well on the usmle, or at least pass, they won't just give it to you. Especially that you hold a U.S. passport the match should be easier compared to foreigners.

wieja77
05-14-2014, 08:16 AM
I tell you how I see it. I have graduated from Gdansk with some students from US that had completely no problem getting residency in extremely competitive specialties and honestly their USMLE scores were not that great. On the other hand I know people who passed USMLE very well and didn't get what they wanted. According to the law, the program director is not supposed to look only at USMLE but at the whole of the candidate; and some do , and some don't. So beside the good USMLE score, you need some luck. The score you can work on, and if you are hard working you will get high, one of my friends just took USMLE and got over 260 which is absolutely amazing. She went to Gdansk and apparently that was good enough. On the other hand you can't control luck. That is why making as many connections in the US as possible will work to your advantage, and that is why the American grads have better chances to get better residency right from the start, but if you work hard and let the people get to know you, you will get it. It might take a year of volunteering or some other way but perseverance wins at the end.
On the subject of people going to UK, everybody is looking for a way to get what they want and maybe that is their way. Who am I to say, it is a wrong way, if it works out, kudos to them.
As for the loans in Gdansk, the whole subject of loans is a sh..y subject. Every or almost every school in Poland has problems with the loans, either because the USMLE scores or audits or some other crap. I dont know what is the solution to that problem but it is generally problem for all IMG everywhere, even the Caribbean schools have problems. One year they have it , next year they don't. But still I rather spend 120k for 6 years in Gdansk then 450k in out of state school in US. That is my opinion. And to sum it up; if you work really hard you will get what you want eventually.

devildoc8404
05-14-2014, 09:59 AM
And to sum it up; if you work really hard you will get what you want eventually.

The 50% of people in the match who did not get a position might take some issue with that summation. Even if some of them did NOT work particularly hard, plenty of others did, and they do not have a gig... making a repeat performance in not-matching more likely than not for next year's match.

I am not saying that people should not work really hard. Obviously, they should. But that, in and of itself, is no guarantor of getting what one wants... especially if one wants a ROADS specialty. Work hard, work smart, make good connections and impressions, and hope for the best. (And in the current match environment moving forward, any match is a pretty damn good outcome.)

Observer11
05-20-2014, 03:47 AM
Well, Medical University in Gdańsk is an European School and there are some differences in medical programme. However, the final scores for USMLE1 are not entirely dependent on school, but also on students performance during studies. The MUG is aware of the differences in programmes and took an approach to cover the differences in facultative course designed for students who want to take USMLE1 exam. The course is already offered for 3 years, with access to real Q-bank, students have an access to this base throught the all academic year. The additional classes are offered once a week, and tutoring is taylored due to students suggestions. In my opinion if students want to prepare to USMLE1 exam MUG is offering decent course.
Unfortunately some students think that teachers will put the whole knowledge to their heads, and this is not possible without hard work of the students. University and teachers can help, but there is no success without own students work.

Observer11
05-20-2014, 03:53 AM
Well, Medical University in Gdańsk is an European School and there are some differences in medical programme. However, the final scores for USMLE1 are not entirely dependent on school, but also on students performance during studies. The MUG is aware of the differences in programmes and took an approach to cover the differences in facultative course designed for students who want to take USMLE1 exam. The course is already offered for 3 years, with access to real Q-bank, students have an access to this base throught the all academic year. The additional classes are offered once a week, and tutoring is taylored due to students suggestions. In my opinion if students want to prepare to USMLE1 exam MUG is offering decent course. Unfortunately some students think that teachers will put the whole knowledge to their heads, and this is not possible without hard work of the students. University and teachers can help, but there is no success without own students work.

duzzy
07-29-2014, 03:06 PM
Devildoc is 100% right. Exhaust all options in the US/Canada before making the jump.

reichmann
09-21-2014, 06:39 AM
if anyone is entertaining the idea of working in Australia, there are new regulations as of July 1st, 2014 which outline that with IMED schools, you may complete FY1 in the UK and PLAB and apply to Australia directly, this wasn't the case before where a specialty was a must. All the best.

danielpeng
12-04-2014, 03:10 AM
You are really brave to quit. I think I probably will continue. Studying medical in UCLA.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.