PDA

View Full Version : OSCAR EXAM for term 1, very confused about it, Insight/advice appreciated

drbtsmd
04-24-2014, 03:15 PM
Hi I'm completely in the dark about the OSCE exam as a term 1 student. I've honestly never been so ignorant about an exam Im supposed to take before (not sure how this happened actually) and the resounding answer I'm getting from anyone who'll give me the time (clinical tutors) is that its really easy, 90% of term 1 pass and its not the end of the world if you fail because you average in other term's OSCE, and finally that if you had paid attention to clinical skills in anatomy lab you will be more than prepared. I cant help but feel the clinical tutors have a scripted answer to give students, and while they have been surprisingly EXTREMELY above and beyond helpful, I'd appreciate any unsolicited advice about the realities of what to expect. And please read title with sense of humor...feeling grouchy this finals season. Thanks in advance!

thxleave
04-24-2014, 03:43 PM
1) It's only worth 2% of a grade for Term 4. Each OSCE is worth 2%.
2) It's really easy. Tutors are lenient most of the time when it comes to grading. They know you don't know shiettttt about doing OSCE related stuff.
3) The stuff they test is simple. Nothing beyond what you need to know.

Just relax.

Dr. Fatalis
04-24-2014, 04:04 PM
Take your hand, place it on pnts cheek, ask them to press against it....test for CN11= you get 100% on that section
Take your finger, draw out an H aka do H test [get fancy and hold it at the horizontal position for nystagmus] = you get 100% at that section
Answer easy multiple choice questions = you get 90% on that section [might miss a few].
Test for CN7= get 100% on that section
That is the osce term 1.
When in doubt
1) wash hands
2) introduce yourself
3) ask permission
4) expose area
you will be just fine!
As an aside I prepared for the 1st osce and winged the 2nd one and still got the same mark on each lol.

drbtsmd
04-24-2014, 07:33 PM
So if thats the case...can I take the exam without preparing and get away with it?

Is it just me or is this something that can really contribute to a percentage down the road in term 4. Seems like its a non-issue now, but that our OSCE performance is tallied up and contributes to our grade in term 4...

thxleave
04-24-2014, 07:59 PM
So if thats the case...can I take the exam without preparing and get away with it?

Is it just me or is this something that can really contribute to a percentage down the road in term 4. Seems like its a non-issue now, but that our OSCE performance is tallied up and contributes to our grade in term 4...

OSCE 1 in Term 1 = 2%
OSCE 2 in Term 2 = 2%

So it's around 2% per OSCE. I mean I guess you can be worried..... but even if you get 50% on OSCE; Which I highly doubt... you'll just lose 2% of grade

Dr. Fatalis
04-24-2014, 10:08 PM

oh dont worry, you will encounter that zanny algorithm they use to create your grade for CPD or what we know as "pull it out of a hat"

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.