PDA

View Full Version : what are optimistic residencys one would expect from AUA?

iskander1
04-15-2014, 07:48 PM
although the specialities are not likely what residencys are likely from a caribean school such as AUA. (i know that its very difficult for a caribean appicant to get info speacilities due to high competition with US grads)

devildoc8404
04-15-2014, 08:16 PM
The usual suspects are FM, IM, Peds, Psychiatry (although there are highly competitive programs within those specialties, as well, where an FMG is unlikely to match). There are others, too, but remember that the match results for specialties are cyclic. Case in point: EM used to be a lot easier, now it completely fills and is extremely competitive.

iskander1
04-15-2014, 08:22 PM
sorry whats EM?

devildoc8404
04-15-2014, 08:33 PM
EM=Emergency Medicine
IM=Internal Medicine
FM=Family Medicine

hopefulMDstudent
04-17-2014, 05:50 PM
Anything is possible if you work hard for it, someone matched plastic surgery this year.

devildoc8404
04-17-2014, 08:56 PM
There are absolutely outliers every year, and it will be really cool if that continues. By far the most frequent matches from the Carib, which was the question as I understood it, remain primary care.

Terp13
04-17-2014, 09:12 PM
A relatively attainable high end residency would be Anesthesiology or General Surgery.
Radiology is pushing it but I see at least a couple from AUA every year.

Raj25
04-19-2014, 09:48 AM
Residency placements depends on YOU the student. I can only speak about my class in particular. Medical school is not for every one. My class was around 250-300 students. 80% of whom did not even come close to pass comp shelf, will never pass comp shelf and will most likely will never pass step 1 with a good score. That said, that was expected since most of my class cohort had average GPAs below 3.0, no MCAT, some didn't even have undergraduate education. So you can only imagine the degree of maturity and academic caliber of the students at AUA.

That said, there are students who secured excellent residencies and have passed Step 1 with flying colors. In the past, a student from AUA scored a residency in Neurosurgery at Brown, internal medicine at Mayo etc. These students were VERY mature and worked VERY VERY HARD! I can safely say that my friends who scored high on STEP 1 had equally strong undergraduate academic background (grades, research etc but somehow couldn't get accepted into a US school). They worked hard at AUA, passed basic sciences WITHOUT CHEATING, passed comp shelf with flying colors. These students are on their way to securing GREAT residencies.

Just don't dream about getting into Harvard or Stanford like many of my classmates did start of MED 1 who felt like Harvard med students and cheated their way through, partied hard and never came close to passing comp shelf. Focus on learning the material well at AUA and from what I heard, AUA administration have made positive changes - they got a new Dean - Dr. Mallin who is great has replaced Dr. Nagra, and they have made strides to banish the MSA from campus.

devildoc8404
04-19-2014, 10:05 AM
...made strides to banish the MSA from campus.

I am almost afraid to ask... but what is MSA?

iskander1
04-19-2014, 10:20 AM
i believe the MSA is muslim student association? (could be wrong) why would they banish the MSA? what have the MSA done?

pepsatrap
04-26-2014, 05:32 PM
i believe the MSA is muslim student association? (could be wrong) why would they banish the MSA? what have the MSA done?

no need to drag this on further.

devildoc8404
04-26-2014, 05:37 PM
Wow. Classy.

Guju4lyfe
05-17-2014, 05:20 PM

I remember my AUA interviewer mentioning something about this group. Is this group prevalent in other caribbean schools since I will be attending another caribbean school? And if so how far of threat is it? Why is it that MSA is not allowed in Canadian and US schools but is allowed in the Caribbean?

Raj25
05-19-2014, 11:13 AM
I remember my AUA interviewer mentioning something about this group. Is this group prevalent in other caribbean schools since I will be attending another caribbean school? And if so how far of threat is it? Why is it that MSA is not allowed in Canadian and US schools but is allowed in the Caribbean?

No religious group should be allowed in medical school. Students should be encouraged to learn and work hard together.

devildoc8404
05-19-2014, 12:35 PM
Well, I reckon that is a little overstated... should we also remove the medical schools from Jesuit and Jewish and Christian universities in the US?

The problem is not with religious student groups, per se... the problem is with the actions of groups (religious or not) that get those groups banned. If the groups could serve as a supportive social construct for people of similar faith interests, then great.

If they start crossing the line into curriculum issues, cheating, or other crap then they not only deserve to be disbanded, but they represent their faith communities pretty poorly, as well.

Raj25
05-19-2014, 01:28 PM
Well, I reckon that is a little overstated... should we also remove the medical schools from Jesuit and Jewish and Christian universities in the US?

The problem is not with religious student groups, per se... the problem is with the actions of groups (religious or not) that get those groups banned. If the groups could serve as a supportive social construct for people of similar faith interests, then great.

If they start crossing the line into curriculum issues, cheating, or other crap then they not only deserve to be disbanded, but they represent their faith communities pretty poorly, as well.

What I meant was ALL religious groups - Muslim, Christian, Hindu etc should be disbanded. I wasn't just targeting one group. It just creates segregation - students helping only those who belong to their religious affiliation and scrutinizing students of other backgrounds. Cheating happened in all religious groups at AUA and everywhere else. What I was saying is why not just enjoy our 2 years on the island TOGETHER helping each other succeed rather than these headaches.

Anyway, I am just glad I am out of the island. I am just glad that none of those students are my colleagues in clinicals and for the sake of humanity will never ever become doctors (since they couldn't pass comp shelf or step 1).

You are free to practice your faith. You can host religious ceremonies, go to your religious institution of choice and help others in the name of your religion. But if it crosses boundaries then there is a problem

devildoc8404
05-19-2014, 01:36 PM
Wow. I am glad that I missed out on the Carib experience, if that is how things rolled at your school, that is incredibly lame. I also have to say that those are some pretty piss-poor religious student groups. Honestly, cheating through the religious groups? Were they on crack? That would piss me off, as well.

FWIW, I can tell you that the religious student groups at most medical schools (non-Carib) are not like that at all... they are social and support groups for students during a stressful academic program. (Whiiiiich is kind of the point, as I understand it.)

Raj25
05-20-2014, 09:14 AM
Wow. I am glad that I missed out on the Carib experience, if that is how things rolled at your school, that is incredibly lame. I also have to say that those are some pretty piss-poor religious student groups. Honestly, cheating through the religious groups? Were they on crack? That would piss me off, as well.

FWIW, I can tell you that the religious student groups at most medical schools (non-Carib) are not like that at all... they are social and support groups for students during a stressful academic program. (Whiiiiich is kind of the point, as I understand it.)

Also you gotta realise. Most of the professors are Indian. If you know anything about the Caste system in India which started during the dark ages. Professors favoring students within their caste/subcaste etc. You will see the caste system enforced at AUA. Not that it isn't new in India but for for an average American student - they will be in a rude awakening.

devildoc8404
05-20-2014, 10:28 AM
There was actually a residency program in Tennessee that was busted for something similar a couple of years back. The PD was originally from a certain caste and from a certain region in India, and he literally conspired with residents of his caste/region against non-Indian residents, as well as against Indian residents of other castes/regions.

Unbelievable that this could happen in this day and age. I never followed up to see what happened to the guy, but I sure hope he got his butt fired.

Raj25
06-01-2014, 08:25 PM
There was actually a residency program in Tennessee that was busted for something similar a couple of years back. The PD was originally from a certain caste and from a certain region in India, and he literally conspired with residents of his caste/region against non-Indian residents, as well as against Indian residents of other castes/regions.

Unbelievable that this could happen in this day and age. I never followed up to see what happened to the guy, but I sure hope he got his butt fired.

Unbelievable? Students in our class literally went through hell.

rokshana
06-01-2014, 09:17 PM

where did you get the idea an MSA would not be allowed in a US or Canadian medical school?

rokshana
06-01-2014, 09:19 PM

please don't think all caribbean schools are like that…they're not.

rokshana
06-01-2014, 09:20 PM
Also you gotta realise. Most of the professors are Indian. If you know anything about the Caste system in India which started during the dark ages. Professors favoring students within their caste/subcaste etc. You will see the caste system enforced at AUA. Not that it isn't new in India but for for an average American student - they will be in a rude awakening.

the dark ages was in Europe.

btw…your bigotry is showing a bit...

auastudent1
06-01-2014, 11:50 PM
Yeah I heard of this kid cheater from my old curriculum friends. Good thing the provost found out about his cheating...better late than never.

Terp13
06-02-2014, 12:11 AM

Yep, the caste system in India came WAY before the dark ages in Europe.
Almost 2000 years prior to the dark ages perhaps.

pepsatrap
06-02-2014, 06:09 AM
Wow I never knew

********...heard that name. yeah..good thing the provost found out.

Raj25
06-02-2014, 06:14 AM

Roshana - ***********************************888

Raj25
06-02-2014, 07:07 AM
Yeah I heard of this kid - ******** from my old curriculum friends. Good thing the provost found out about this cheating...better late than never.

Coincidentally, *******************

rokshana
06-02-2014, 07:46 AM
Roshana - caste system might have started before the dark ages, but it was most prevalent through out. Infact the caste system is most enforced in modern India than it was during ancient times. Also You are not even a student in the school so pls stop trolling on the school's page.

my POINT is that there were no dark ages in India…that is a term for what was going on in EUROPE.

and my pointing out you are a bigot has nothing to do with which school one goes to or went to…you railed against muslims and now Indians and hindus…sounds like you didn't do all that well at AUA and you blame others and take no responsibility for your own part (btw that won't fly come interview season).

and posting names is against TOS, i suggest you edit your posts.

and maybe you could spell my name right...

Raj25
06-02-2014, 07:51 AM
my POINT is that there were no dark ages in India…that is a term for what was going on in EUROPE.

and my pointing out you are a bigot has nothing to do with which school one goes to or went to…you railed against muslims and now Indians and hindus…sounds like you didn't do all that well at AUA and you blame others and take no responsibility for your own part (btw that won't fly come interview season).

I passed step 1 with a score >240. I never blamed AUA as a school. Infact I love the admin, the provost and the president. This is frustration of the entire student body over what happened at AUA. That is why please don't post trolls if you are not a student here. Infact there is proof that our school Provost threatened faculty members and the Dean (who are from India) to fire them over the rampant cheating. If you want, check up with the school admin. Further, our dean (from India) got replaced by a United States trained physician.

pepsatrap
06-02-2014, 08:27 AM

Why do you get the message that just cause student didn't do well, they make stuff up against the school. Clearly what we voiced in the old curriculum was CONSTRUCTIVE criticism by students who passed STEP 1 and wished for a bright future for AUA. That could mean replacing a dean or faculty (if they cost the school its reputation).

Raj25
06-02-2014, 09:28 AM

Also Rokshana - sorry if I spelled your name incorrectly. I was referring to ALL religious groups. Christian, Muslim and Hindu. Students should be encouraged to study TOGETHER. You did not read my post correctly.

Guju4lyfe
06-02-2014, 11:19 AM
where did you get the idea an MSA would not be allowed in a US or Canadian medical school?

roshana - I was just asking a question as a student. If you wanna waste your time posting garbage on the school's page then go ahead. You are an idiot.

siheg
06-02-2014, 11:29 AM
roshana - I was just asking a question as a student. If you wanna waste your time posting garbage on the school's page then go ahead. You are an idiot.

Chill guys. Rok means well. Although theirs some truth to what's being discussed here, we should use a little more tact with such sensitive topics.

auastudent1
06-02-2014, 03:23 PM
So what if people party? I never partied but if people wanted to so what

auastudent1
06-02-2014, 03:24 PM
Any more names you want to speak badly of?

auastudent1
06-02-2014, 03:39 PM
People partied and passed too for your information

auastudent1
06-02-2014, 03:47 PM

auastudent1
06-02-2014, 04:27 PM
Bamstify pepsatrap krish123 are the same poster. Same agenda

Raj25
06-02-2014, 04:41 PM
Bamstify pepsatrap krish123 are the same poster. Same agenda

so you mean to say devildoc8404, Mr. Tipton and TheCanadian are the same poster too because they support AUA admin? Stop blaming the school admin for what you have done. There are students who passed step 1 and are at clinicals. You did not. There is no agenda - 50 of us passed step 1 with hard work thanks to the AUA admin. You did not b/c you were lazy and fooled around.

Infact auastudent1 - you have an agenda since you failed comp shelf and got kicked out to make it a point to blame the school admin which has done nothing but make changes for the betterment of AUA.

rokshana
06-02-2014, 09:46 PM
Why do you get the message that just cause student didn't do well, they make stuff up against the school. Clearly what we voiced in the old curriculum was CONSTRUCTIVE criticism by students who passed STEP 1 and wished for a bright future for AUA. That could mean replacing a dean or faculty (if they cost the school its reputation).

because, generally on vmd, that's exactly what happens…there are plenty of whiny cryer threads that come out, oh around the end of a term time, about "how unfair *insert caribbean school here*, or *insert caribbean school here* is corrupt, bigoted, discriminatory, etc and that is why i'm leaving …never mind the reason they are leaving is because the failed out the term or their appeal was denied…

its a broken record….

rokshana
06-02-2014, 09:50 PM

hon, if i'm an idiot, i'm a board certified, internal medicine physician who trained at a university program and who is currently an endocrinology fellow at yet another university program one…you should be so idiotic….

Raj25
06-05-2014, 09:53 AM
Anyway, justice has been served! All those who have cheated have been thrown out since they couldn't pass comprehensive shelf. Regardless of what these students say that there is an "agenda" or what not..AUA has made strides for vast improvements. I wouldn't want these kids to be my colleagues at clinicals ever.

Raj25
06-05-2014, 09:59 AM
auastudent1 - partying is fine. Cheating is fine. No one cares what you do or where you go. But when you care less about the tuition dollars every student pays for this school and you care less about the efforts the admin makes to enhance the education of this school, then you deserve to get dismissed.

patience99
06-07-2014, 02:42 AM
So there's about 50 who moved onto clinicals? Where do you think AUA will put SGU/Ross/AUC/SABA dropouts & failures that transferred in or will transfer in? You don't ever get to choose at AUA, you'll be with these "kids" one way or another. Nice to see your level of optimism for AUA clinicals this early in the game since that's a disaster on its own recently, ask your colleagues there. IMHO, for what it's worth if you're not at SGU/Ross come match time, then prepare for a major life lesson. This goes with the token: "Beggars can't be choosers" :)

Raj25
06-07-2014, 09:00 AM
patience99 - I couldn't agree with you more. That's exactly the point I make as did our clinical chair and the admin. It's really really hard to get matched out of AUA unless you score >225 on step 1 and even then it is difficult. The impression that our faculty gave on the island was not the reality. The created a sense of false belief that ALL basic sci students will get matched with top residencies, making it feel ok as though to cheat and party. Let me tell you, all my colleagues at clinicals right now NEVER partied, NEVER cheated and have scored >230 on step 1 with ease. Infact, they passed comp shelf with ease. It's hard as it is for us to battle through clinicals. It's worse when these kids who failed comp shelf don't get a sense of reality even AFTER getting dismissed and want to continue further on.

patience99
06-07-2014, 05:18 PM
patience99 - I couldn't agree with you more. That's exactly the point I make as did our clinical chair and the admin. It's really really hard to get matched out of AUA unless you score >225 on step 1 and even then it is difficult. The impression that our faculty gave on the island was not the reality. The created a sense of false belief that ALL basic sci students will get matched with top residencies, making it feel ok as though to cheat and party. Let me tell you,all my colleagues at clinicals right now NEVER partied, NEVER cheated and have scored >230 on step 1 with ease. Infact, they passed comp shelf with ease. It's hard as it is for us to battle through clinicals. It's worse when these kids who failed comp shelf don't get a sense of reality even AFTER getting dismissed and want to continue further on.

Really?? You all never cheated, never partied, AND scored >230 WITH ease? I'm gonna ask that you wipe all that brown feces spilling from your mouth, please. With due respect to the 2 or 3 of you who are there, most of you were lucky about cheating your way in and were smart about it. Now that you're in clinicals you are feeling the pressure of the label of "cheating" that AUA has attached its students with and to save yourselves from further embarrassment from students you are rotating with and the residents/attendings there, you are here pointing fingers and demoralizing peers you once sat in the same room with on the island. smh.

Here's a story. There was a student in your batch who was assaulted by a gang of locals, and when he went to the dean of students what was he told? To keep quiet because "it will disturb the learning of other students there." That was strike 1, most of you students didn't take the hint that AUA does not care about you. You see, AUA is owned by Manipal and as the saying goes "Manipal cares only about Mani (Money)". Strike 2, was when AUA lost NBME for reasons you believed was due to "student cheating".. ever thought it could be a cover up for the scores AUA "adjusts". Some have got Strike 3 if they are dismissed or on the verge of dismissal. And those still playing this game, I'm sure you're hoping Strike 3 doesn't come match time when AUA decides to bail on students who have <250.

Raj25
06-09-2014, 09:20 AM
Well you are correct in a sense but let me correct you in a few places.

Strike 1 - Med 1: 70% of our class fails MINI 1 and MINI 2. Magically, the head of the anatomy dept Dr. H and biochem dept Dr. L get replaced. Suddenly, student pulling 40s on Mini 1 and Mini 2 score 90s in the final 2 minis and throughout Med 2. It was made to look as though the Dean of Students "Cared" about students but in reality 70-80% leaving after Med 1 doesn't make money for Manipal. So on PURPOSE old recycled questions were leaked out to students and were tested.

Strike 2: Med 2 - vice chair of the anatomy department Dr. H***** takes over as head. Mysteriously, he disappears as soon as students find the musculo skeletal portion of anatomy difficult to understand. Dr. A is the acting head of the anatomy dept and suddenly as usual students pull 90s on the musculoskeletal portion of anatomy.

Strike 3 - Ever wondered how Neuroscience was crammed in 2 weeks and students WITHOUT even coming to classes suddenly get higher grades than their US counterparts in the neuroscience shelf and yet mysteriously 70% of our class fail the physio shelf (a good chunk which had neurophysio). Ever thought how it was a cover up when these students mysteriously made it to med 3 all the way till med 5?

Raj25
06-09-2014, 10:58 AM
Strike 4 (if you need to add) - While I was there. Magically, students belonging to the MSA and students associated with Manipal faculty never had their names turned up at remediation. Ever wondered how the minority African American and Antiguan students were ALWAYS scape goated for remediation? The Dean of Students had to prove that remedials were enforced to "cut down cheating." For that he placed the under represented groups in remediation. Funny as to how as soon as the provost found out about this Manipal replaced the Dean of Basic Science.

fitnessx23
06-09-2014, 11:35 AM
I don't get it though, you guys say only 50 students passed the step or comp but yet the aua website for residencies in 2014 shows 100 I believe. So did all of those students score 240 and above?

Raj25
06-09-2014, 01:09 PM
Add in transfers from SGU, Ross, Saba and AUC (some of whom are my colleagues). Add in students from Manipal. Add in students who are backlogged for match since 2008/09 (either because they did not get high enough on step 1 or multiple failures on step 1 or step 2 ck). Also add in a few students (who are my colleagues) failed out of US medical school. Transfer students get first priority. Unless AUA students score high on step 1 >240 AUA won't help you in any way.

fitnessx23
06-09-2014, 01:48 PM
Do you know how many of the acutual people who passed(the 50 ppl) usmle placed residency?

patience99
06-10-2014, 05:29 PM
Raj25 - the points you mentioned are valid. The President, provost, etc. at AUA (or any carribbean school for that matter) are representational only.. I doubt they have any control over what changes take place.
Fitnessx23 - you are confusing terms. Residency is not the same as rotations. The 50 ppl who passed usmle (step1) "placed" rotations. Look up the difference between the two terms before you head down to AUA, please.
Prospectives - take note, these are hard truth that students who risked their time and money realized from experience, that many (both such students and admin) will not readily want to share. Do your research, see the 3000+ threads on here repeating the same things over and over again, different batches have had the same issues with AUA. For the amount of tuition you will end up paying you are not gaining a great deal (whether on the island, in clinicals, or during the match) compared to students who come from the so called lower tier schools in the carribbean. Go to SGU or Ross if accepted, if you are considering the carribbean pathway. At least at these schools, if you have decent step scores not only will you get significantly better rotations but during the match these schools will pick up the phone and speak/vouch for you to program directors.

Raj25
06-18-2014, 07:53 PM
Just to echo what Patience99 is saying: I'll tell you right now, the jump from Basic Science at AUA to Clinicals where you are in the same field as students who graduated from top tier New York Medical Schools is quite different. The information presented is a damn load harder. You can no longer simply read the text book or your professor's notes, memorize everything, and expect to ace the clinicals. You'll probably scrape by clinicals barely but will not get great Step 2 scores or great clerkship letters in comparison to US or Canadian Students. I'm not sure how to explain this to a caribbean school student. Lets start off from high school. The example I can give you are those math contests most reputable high schools tend to force their top students to write. I believe they were Euclid, Fermat, Cayley, Pascal, CNML just to name a few that pop up in my mind. The knowledge required to answer such questions is quite minimal. Heck, you can probably do it with gr.8 math syllables alone. It can be as simple as using the formula a^2 + b^2 = c^2. Yet, the average gr.12 student (who supposedly is one of the top in his/her school) scores about 30% on these contests. The application of what you learn is just that much harder. Some of your colleagues from US schools at New York have MCAT scores between 32-35. It's not that they have more "KNOWLEDGE" than caribbean students but they are miles ahead of you when it comes to application of concepts learnt in basic science. I guess what I'm saying is, YOU HAVE TO LEARN TO APPLY AND BE HARDWORKING.

Application starts from high school, translates into great MCAT scores. Thus US students ACE clinicals, get great clerkship letters, end off at top residencies. Caribbean students cram through basic science, a lot don't get good scores on step 1. Some who do get a decent score on step 1 including myself find it difficult to cope with these US students.

Terp13
06-18-2014, 09:23 PM
Just to echo what Patience99 is saying: I'll tell you right now, the jump from Basic Science at AUA to Clinicals where you are in the same field as students who graduated from top tier New York Medical Schools is quite different. The information presented is a damn load harder. You can no longer simply read the text book or your professor's notes, memorize everything, and expect to ace the clinicals. You'll probably scrape by clinicals barely but will not get great Step 2 scores or great clerkship letters in comparison to US or Canadian Students. I'm not sure how to explain this to a caribbean school student. Lets start off from high school. The example I can give you are those math contests most reputable high schools tend to force their top students to write. I believe they were Euclid, Fermat, Cayley, Pascal, CNML just to name a few that pop up in my mind. The knowledge required to answer such questions is quite minimal. Heck, you can probably do it with gr.8 math syllables alone. It can be as simple as using the formula a^2 + b^2 = c^2. Yet, the average gr.12 student (who supposedly is one of the top in his/her school) scores about 30% on these contests. The application of what you learn is just that much harder. Some of your colleagues from US schools at New York have MCAT scores between 32-35. It's not that they have more "KNOWLEDGE" than caribbean students but they are miles ahead of you when it comes to application of concepts learnt in basic science. I guess what I'm saying is, YOU HAVE TO LEARN TO APPLY AND BE HARDWORKING.

Application starts from high school, translates into great MCAT scores. Thus US students ACE clinicals, get great clerkship letters, end off at top residencies. Caribbean students cram through basic science, a lot don't get good scores on step 1. Some who do get a decent score on step 1 including myself find it difficult to cope with these US students.

You have to LEARN and then APPLY. Many carib students don't learn but straight up memorize, and then they find difficulty applying in the steps or clinicals.

Raj25
06-20-2014, 07:46 AM
Terp13 - Thank you for re-emphasizing my point. I hear it over and over again during clinicals from US students. Tell this to AUA faculty especially from Manipal who leak out exams.

Terp13
06-20-2014, 09:28 AM
Is it really the faculty leaking out the exams or do some students hack into their system or something?
If it is the faculty, then this is absolutely serious.

Raj25
06-21-2014, 06:39 PM
Terp13 - lol...whats funny is one of the kaplan instructors Dr. B**** said "Manipal doesn't give a rat's *** about students. All they care about is your money. As long as students who have ties with Manipal faculty get leaked papers and get into clinicals, that's all that matters."

This is actually coming from a kaplan pathology instructor which manipal "hired" to run a kaplan course to supposedly help students both at Manipal and at AUA. So you even sense a distaste that even Kaplan has toward AUA.

Terp13
06-21-2014, 11:47 PM
That is so disappointing to hear ***. Why aren't more people coming out against this type of prejudice? You seem to be the only one actively telling people about this. Where are the others who are having to go through the same things you are going through?

Also, don't the students have to pass the Shelf exam to get to clinicals, regardless of getting leaked papers?

CMD
06-22-2014, 12:59 AM
although the specialities are not likely what residencys are likely from a caribean school such as AUA. (i know that its very difficult for a caribean appicant to get info speacilities due to high competition with US grads)

It's pretty grim if you look at the percentages of residency match among Caribbean schools.
According to the charting outcomes of the 2013 match, of the 387 applicants who went to schools in Antigua and Barbuda, only 180 matched. That's 46.5% averaged between AUA and UHSA. For SGU, the number is not all that great either. The match rate in 2013 was around 67% for USIMG and 65% overall. Whereas Ross could garner only about 55% in the 2013 match. AUC falls somewhere between SGU and Ross, it was about 60-61%. As for Saba, only 33 out of 78 USIMG matched and non US-IMG fared much worse.

iskander1
06-22-2014, 05:32 AM
It's pretty grim if you look at the percentages of residency match among Caribbean schools.
According to the charting outcomes of the 2013 match, of the 387 applicants who went to schools in Antigua and Barbuda, only 180 matched. That's 46.5% averaged between AUA and UHSA. For SGU, the number is not all that great either. The match rate in 2013 was around 67% for USIMG and 65% overall. Whereas Ross could garner only about 55% in the 2013 match. AUC falls somewhere between SGU and Ross, it was about 60-61%. As for Saba, only 33 out of 78 USIMG matched and non US-IMG fared much worse.
can you show me the stats please.

rokshana
06-22-2014, 08:16 AM
can you show me the stats please.

uh…i think he just did….

and that report is available on the nrmp website….and has been linked in many threads on vmd.

iskander1
06-22-2014, 08:49 AM
I meant to say can you show proof of the stats. Can you link me the thread.

TheCanadian
06-22-2014, 09:47 AM
That is so disappointing to hear ***. Why aren't more people coming out against this type of prejudice? You seem to be the only one actively telling people about this. Where are the others who are having to go through the same things you are going through?

I believe "***" has some sort of hidden agenda. Why would someone who goes to the school continuously bash its reputation.... I am a current AUA student in basic sciences and I find that the new Dean is creating alot of positive change and making the school much more rigorous and mirroring US standards. I am happy here, at least for now lol.

CMD
06-22-2014, 12:22 PM
Buddy, google search is your friend. If you want to become a doctor, you should at least be able to find this info on your own after someone told you it's out there.

Terp13
06-22-2014, 01:36 PM
I believe "***" has some sort of hidden agenda. Why would someone who goes to the school continuously bash its reputation.... I am a current AUA student in basic sciences and I find that the new Dean is creating alot of positive change and making the school much more rigorous and mirroring US standards. I am happy here, at least for now lol.
So then do you confirm that the old administration did leak out exams and display favoritism towards certain students?

abhikasinadhuni
11-07-2014, 12:33 PM
So then do you confirm that the old administration did leak out exams and display favoritism towards certain students?

User can't play nice.

Coexist
11-07-2014, 11:14 PM
Is it really the faculty leaking out the exams or do some students hack into their system or something?
If it is the faculty, then this is absolutely serious.

Students don't hack into the system- they don't have to. Profs leak the exams and in return either ask for money (from male students) or sex (from female students). It's not just the Manipal staff but they are the majority. The profs do this openly and no one says anything because majority of the students rely on the leaked exams to pass the classes.

Most students don't say anything on vmd or fb because we still attend AUA and don't want to further tarnish its reputation- in the end its only going to hurt us. After cheating scandals surfaced on campus students posted msgs on fb asking other students not to post what has been going on. However, I am tired of keeping quite only for people to openly cheat. The cheaters haven't stopped but I think its time we tell AUA how fed up we are.

Dr. M is trying to make AUA a better place but the harder he tries the better students/professors become at cheating. Dr. M is failing to see how involved the profs are in all of this- its not just the students.

Terp13 you are right- this is very serious. I hope AUA gets to the bottom of this and quickly.

Coexist
11-07-2014, 11:22 PM

*** doesn't have a hidden agenda. He has successfully completed basic sciences, has done well on the step and is in clinicals. His agenda is to inform others of the practices that have taken place at AUA. The information he is posting is not made up nor is it false- 100s of AUA students can tell you the same things he has posted about but most don't want to bash AUAs reputation, are afraid to speak up or have cheated to get ahead.

Canadian, I'm not sure what semester you are in but for us the cheating started back in med 1. I hope AUA cleans up its act but its far from it right now.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.