PDA

View Full Version : has anyone from AUA got a residency in dermatology? can someone explain why/why not?

iskander1
04-14-2014, 07:39 PM
has anyone from AUA got a residency in dermatology? can someone explain why/why not?

devildoc8404
04-14-2014, 08:50 PM
It might have happened at some point in time. Maybe. I read recently about a Carib grad who completed her FM residency in NJ, worked for a little while, and then somehow scored a Dermatology position later, but even that is not a common occurrence.

The reason should be pretty clear. Dermatology is cutthroat competitive even for US grads with insane Step scores. The PDs for Derm programs have no need to dip into the FMG pool to fill their interview slots, so only an absolute monster of a foreign applicant (preferably with some excellent connections and perky application extras) is likely to even get a sniff.

Go for it, if you have the raw intellectual wherewithal to be competitive... but also be smart about the numbers and have a B and C plan, as well.

iskander1
04-15-2014, 12:45 PM
dont you apply for dermatlogy near your third year of medical schools (or 4th year)? and by that time if your coming from a caribean medical school but doing rotations in the US it wont matter? like im trying to say they dont see you as foreign as your doing rotations in the US?

also why is it so hard to match for dermatology? what makes it so competitive.

devildoc8404
04-15-2014, 01:20 PM
Part of me says that you are trolling, but on the off chance that you are serious...

No, you apply for residency during September of your 4th year of medical school (assuming a 4 year program, which the Carib schools are).

If you honestly do not know the difference in match rates between US (close to 100%) and foreign medical graduates (about 50%), then all I can tell you is that you need to read up on this... like, A LOT. It absolutely matters. There is a distinct hierarchy within the medical residency process, and Carib (and most other foreign) grads come nearer to the bottom of the totem pole. You can try to overcome that with outstanding Step scores and the like, but your application will still have your alma mater listed on it, and some programs will reject you automatically (especially in the competitive specialties like Dermatology and the like) simply because you are not a US grad.

Dermatology is consistently attractive (it is the "D" in the "ROADS" specialties for a reason), namely because it is a lifestyle specialty with procedures, and it makes a hell of a lot of money.

iskander1
04-15-2014, 01:33 PM
no im not trolling just very inexperienced. can you please tell me more i find this information very usefull. thanks.

devildoc8404
04-15-2014, 02:26 PM
Google is your friend, in that regard, but it sounds to me like you need to read up on the US match in general, as well as the requirements for the different specialties.

I am not going into Dermatology, so I am far from the best resource on things Derm-related. There is plenty of information on VMD (search function) and StudentDoctor.net, as well as the AAD (American Academy of Dermatology (http://www.aad.org)). Knock yourself out...

iskander1
04-15-2014, 02:32 PM
what med school are you in? and what do you plan to match into? ill try using google. if you find any sites for newbies that are still grasping the terminologys and the ideas please send them my way.

Terp13
04-15-2014, 02:35 PM
Somebody did match into Neurosurgery in Brown from AUA a couple of years ago so miracles are possible but if your plan is to do Derm after going to AUA then you need to think long and hard about your possibilities. If you can get into a US medical school with 2 years of grade augmentation and MCAT studying then do that. Otherwise you can all but forget about a Derm residency.

devildoc8404
04-15-2014, 03:36 PM
I graduated last year from medical school at MU-Sofia... currently completing an emergency surgery internship and will enter urology training this July at a university hospital in Switzerland. (I am an American national, and was originally planning to enter the US Match before I got a Swiss job offer, which is why I bothered to spend the time learning about the US match and all of that.)

There is a pant load of information available right here on VMD about the match. Just be aware of the current environment for the US match, things are not predicted to remain the same over the course of the coming 3-4 years.

(Dang, Terp13, NSx at Brown is a freaking huge deal!)

what med school are you in? and what do you plan to match into? ill try using google. if you find any sites for newbies that are still grasping the terminologys and the ideas please send them my way.

Terp13
04-15-2014, 04:03 PM
I graduated last year from medical school at MU-Sofia... currently completing an emergency surgery internship and will enter urology training this July at a university hospital in Switzerland. (I am an American national, and was originally planning to enter the US Match before I got a Swiss job offer, which is why I bothered to spend the time learning about the US match and all of that.)

There is a pant load of information available right here on VMD about the match. Just be aware of the current environment for the US match, things are not predicted to remain the same over the course of the coming 3-4 years.

(Dang, Terp13, NSx at Brown is a freaking huge deal!)

I know Right! But I think he matched just before AUA were stripped of their NBME administration rights but I am not 100% on that.
Every time there seems to be a school that looks like it's going to catapult itself into the top echelon of Caribbean med schools but then screws up and denies itself that chance. SMU screwed up big time but AUA could still redeem itself.

Star25
04-19-2014, 03:16 AM
Yes, this guy from AUA got into Dermatology residency ( i think it was in last years of Match). But I remember seeing someone matiched in Derm from AUA. From what I heard, he was an execellent student, did extremenly well on all his step exams, had gradutate degrees, tons of outstanding LORS and did research at John Hopkins. Good luck, but Derm is extreeeeeeemely competitve and it takes more than a high score.

Raj25
04-19-2014, 09:49 AM
Securing GREAT Residency placements depends on YOU the student. I can only speak about my class in particular. Medical school is not for every one. My class was around 250-300 students. 80% of whom did not even come close to pass comp shelf, will never pass comp shelf and will most likely will never pass step 1 with a good score. That said, that was expected since most of my class cohort had average GPAs below 3.0, no MCAT, some didn't even have undergraduate education. So you can only imagine the degree of maturity and academic caliber of the students at AUA.

That said, there are students who secured excellent residencies and have passed Step 1 with flying colors. In the past, a student from AUA scored a residency in Neurosurgery at Brown, internal medicine at Mayo etc. These students were VERY mature and worked VERY VERY HARD! I can safely say that my friends who scored high on STEP 1 had equally strong undergraduate academic background (grades, research etc but somehow couldn't get accepted into a US school). They worked hard at AUA, passed basic sciences WITHOUT CHEATING, passed comp shelf with flying colors. These students are on their way to securing GREAT residencies.

Just don't dream about getting into Harvard or Stanford like many of my classmates did start of MED 1 who felt like Harvard med students and cheated their way through, partied hard and never came close to passing comp shelf. Focus on learning the material well at AUA and from what I heard, AUA administration have made positive changes - they got a new Dean - Dr. Mallin who is great has replaced Dr. Nagra, and they have made strides to banish the MSA from campus.

patience99
04-19-2014, 08:13 PM
krish123 et al. - you guys need to change the way you are viewing this, the problems you are raising may be all/part true but it is the root of a problem that you need to critically think about (unfortunately, a lot of caribbean med students lack this simple attribute i.e., to think critically)! Not many caribbean med students decide to sail offshore by critically analyzing the medical curriculum of the schools beforehand. I hope that made sense. :)

Raj25
04-20-2014, 06:35 PM
krish123 et al. - you guys need to change the way you are viewing this, the problems you are raising may be all/part true but it is the root of a problem that you need to critically think about (unfortunately, a lot of caribbean med students lack this simple attribute i.e., to think critically)! Not many caribbean med students decide to sail offshore by critically analyzing the medical curriculum of the schools beforehand. I hope that made sense. :)

With all due respect, AUA administration (Including the admissions committee, Provost, President etc) did a good job addressing the real issues of the island. However, if our school dean Dr. Nagra and his manipal faculty lied blatantly about step 1 pass rates, giving students false assurances of passing step 1, supporting cheating - all this without the knowledge of the administration, then there is a clear problem (refer to the provost threatening to quit the school after finding out and refer to the clinical chair and officials from NY coming in and addressing our class about cheating issues). Add to this students getting arrogant and dreaming about high end residencies at high end medical schools without even coming to class, partying every weekend - and you have a disaster happening.

patience99
04-22-2014, 01:38 PM
With all due respect, AUA administration (Including the admissions committee, Provost, President etc) did a good job addressing the real issues of the island. However, if our school dean Dr. Nagra and his manipal faculty lied blatantly about step 1 pass rates, giving students false assurances of passing step 1, supporting cheating - all this without the knowledge of the administration, then there is a clear problem (refer to the provost threatening to quit the school after finding out and refer to the clinical chair and officials from NY coming in and addressing our class about cheating issues). Add to this students getting arrogant and dreaming about high end residencies at high end medical schools without even coming to class, partying every weekend - and you have a disaster happening.

Why don't students complain to CAAM-HP if AUA continues these unethical practices? AUA has to adhere to certain standards if it wants to hold accreditation as a medical school in the Caribbean. Replacing one dean with another, changing course chairs, policies etc. may mask the issue but will solve nothing since the entire institution is operated by Manipal Education Americas, period. Good luck to AUA in regaining student trust if this is the path they chose to head towards. lol

abhikasinadhuni
11-07-2014, 12:39 PM
Why don't students complain to CAAM-HP if AUA continues these unethical practices? AUA has to adhere to certain standards if it wants to hold accreditation as a medical school in the Caribbean. Replacing one dean with another, changing course chairs, policies etc. may mask the issue but will solve nothing since the entire institution is operated by Manipal Education Americas, period. Good luck to AUA in regaining student trust if this is the path they chose to head towards. lol

User can't play nice.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.