PDA

View Full Version : [Q] Options for Transferring From Semmelweis

p0sixninja
04-12-2014, 04:24 AM
Hey folks :)

I've been reading a lot here and seen people asking or helping each other out with their experiences so i decided to join this community :)

So i hope you would be able to share your information with me about my issue coz it's going to be extremely helpful for me and others with the same question.

I've been living in Budapest for about 3 years , i did my whole high school here and got my diploma here. at the moment i'm studying at Pre-med college and 2 months from now i have the entrance exam ( Medicine Faculty ).

Due to some reasons my only available option is semmelweis , yes i know that the pros are less than cons. but anyway...

I really do not want to stay the whole 6 years here unless there wouldn't be any other option left
I would like to know what are my options for transferring doesn't matter when ,( 2nd year, 3rd year,,,) to other countries.

i know about USMLE but it seems pretty impossible for me. it would be just waste of time. ( as i heard from others )
but if you have any information about this topic please let me know .

looking forward to your replies :)

devildoc8404
04-12-2014, 05:15 AM
Why would USMLE be impossible or a waste of time? If you want to work in the US (you did not say whether you do or not), it is part of the mandatory requirements for specialization/work there. Granted, it would usually have nothing to do with transferring to another medical school (transfer to a US medical school is brutally competitive and requires the completion of a university degree and MCAT before medical school, so you can forget about that), but it is important depending on where you want to work in the future.

At any rate, with the USMLE Step 1 successfully completed you might be able to transfer to one of the mid-range Caribbean medical schools... but why? Semmelweis has a strong international reputation (despite its flaws), and you would most likely be transferring down rather than transferring up, if you know what I mean. By the same token, I am quite sure that you could transfer to a Balkan medical school (Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia, etc.), but why on earth would you do so?

Semmelweis is one of the stronger E-EU medical programs, and if you can finish there it would be a lot better than moving down the totem pole just to change locations.

p0sixninja
04-12-2014, 10:59 AM
I really would like to get my specialization and residency in USA, the reason i say USMLE is nearly impossible is that i heard they want high grades in my university and in semmelweis its enough if you pass, no body wants 4 or 5 anymore, they study like 24/7 to just pass. If USMLE really requires that then...

So if it would be possible to move to usa when i'm like in 2nd year or 3rd year; at the end it will be easier for me to get specialization there,

Do you have any information about other countries like england or germany? Not balkan countries ofc
Thansk for your reply anyway :)

Thunderbolt
04-12-2014, 05:47 PM
In my opinion uk is the best and also high quality as the us though you have to pass the plabs exams

devildoc8404
04-12-2014, 08:53 PM
You can totally apply to residency in the US with a Semmelweis medical degree. Hell, lots of people have completed US residencies after Semmelweis. You take the USMLE Steps 1, 2CK, and 2CS during medical school and then apply to the US Match. (Whether or not you get interviews and actually match into a specialty/residency depends on a lot of factors, including how well you scored on those USMLE Steps, of course. No guarantees.)

However, you will basically have no chance to transfer into a US medical school without a 4 year university degree completed BEFORE medical school. This is because the US medical education system is 4+4 years (4 years of university, THEN 4 years of medical school) as opposed to the EU system of 6 years straight through. Because the systems do not match up, and because you will have no university degree nor MCAT score for medical school admissions, you simply cannot transfer into a US medical school... even after 2-3 (or 4 or 5) years. Regardless, though, you can apply to residency programs with a Semmelweis degree, but remember that it is getting harder to match from overseas, especially without a US passport or Green Card.

No idea about transfer into Germany except that it is highly competitive and requires fluency in German, and I do not know if the UK accepts transfer students from within the EU, or not. That would be a good question for the schools that interest you specifically, I would think.

Good luck. I still think that finishing the Semmelweis degree would make the most sense. For one thing, changing medical schools is often viewed as a "red flag" (or potential negative) when applying to residencies, especially in the US. For another thing, you could go straight into the UK for training after graduation from Semmelweis, anyway, assuming you have an EU passport. (If you do not, then things get a lot more complicated.)

I really would like to get my specialization and residency in USA, the reason i say USMLE is nearly impossible is that i heard they want high grades in my university and in semmelweis its enough if you pass, no body wants 4 or 5 anymore, they study like 24/7 to just pass. If USMLE really requires that then...

So if it would be possible to move to usa when i'm like in 2nd year or 3rd year; at the end it will be easier for me to get specialization there,

Do you have any information about other countries like england or germany? Not balkan countries ofc
Thansk for your reply anyway :)

p0sixninja
04-13-2014, 04:38 PM
Thanks Devildoc, Thunderbolt, your info were really helpful,

the only thing left is if england accepts transfer students, that would be a great option also, and yeah , unfortunatly i'm not european, so the difficulties will be doubled :P

Thunderbolt
04-24-2014, 03:09 PM
does anynone know any biology website where i can read extensively on these topics?

Anabolic and catabolic pathways

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.