PDA

View Full Version : Transferring into Saba University School of Medicine

dii275
04-09-2014, 10:17 AM
Hey Guys,

Sorry my first ever post since I'm really stumped here.

So a little background, I am a canadian student who has completed his highschool and 1.5 years at University of Saskatchewan in Arts and Science. However I took the opportunity to go to a Pakistan Medical College since they only require a High School degree and look at your High School Average. The Pakistani medical colleges are recognized worldwide and students are eligible to take the USMLE and practice in US and Canada. However, I just found out I can only give my USMLE after the 5th year of medical school here and that is very time consuming. So my plan of action is now to be able to transfer to a Caribbean Medical school since they have a much higher USMLE pass rate and students are much more likely to get residencies graduating from a Caribbean school.

For the original question, does anyone have any experience or knowledge of people transferring into Caribbean medical colleges most specifically Saba University? What are the requirements? What semester do they place you in? Are Pakistan Medical College e eligible for transfers?

Thank you for any information

rokshana
04-09-2014, 10:53 AM
Go back to canada and finish your bachelors degree and go to a Canadian medical school...unless you screwed up your UG GPA so badly that it's not salvageable

Otherwise stay where you are and complete your degree at the medical school you're currently attending...flitting from school to school will just raise more red flags than you already have.

dii275
04-09-2014, 01:20 PM
Go back to canada and finish your bachelors degree and go to a Canadian medical school...unless you screwed up your UG GPA so badly that it's not salvageable

Otherwise stay where you are and complete your degree at the medical school you're currently attending...flitting from school to school will just raise more red flags than you already have.

Hey thanks for your reply, but the reason I decided to leave Canada in the first place was because of the competitiveness of getting into a Canadian Medical College. They only accept a 100/1000 applications. And I'm just curious, why or how have I raised red flags already?

Terp13
04-09-2014, 03:36 PM
IF you have at least 90 credits of college work and an MCAT score, you might be accepted to some good caribbean schools, especially their post-bac programs like MERP or BSEP or ARP. But with only 1.5 years of college coursework, I doubt that's the case. SO, you are looking at taking a year or two of pre-med coursework at the Caribbean university and then if you fulfill their requirements, you get to go their MD program. But the thing about this is that if you don't get into residency (either through failure or through not matching which is about a 50% chance) then you will be in a really bad position jobs wise because your MD is kinda invalid without a residency and you don't even have a bachelors degree to fall back on. I would recommend completing your MBBS in Pakistan and taking the USMLE and trying to get into residency here. Time should not be a factor in you becoming a doctor because many people apply to Med-schools in their late 20s or so. Another option, like Rokshana mentioned, is go back to canada, finish your bachelors and then apply in canada and the Caribbean and take what's given to you. You can apply to DO Medical Schools in the states and you'll have better chances for those as well.

rokshana
04-09-2014, 09:04 PM
Hey thanks for your reply, but the reason I decided to leave Canada in the first place was because of the competitiveness of getting into a Canadian Medical College. They only accept a 100/1000 applications. And I'm just curious, why or how have I raised red flags already?

well you are in a foreign medical student…red flag # 1
if you are looking to get a residency in the US…as a canadian you need a visa…red flag #2

transfer to a caribbean school (lateral transfer at best) red flag #3

Sladurcheto
05-12-2014, 10:27 PM
…………………………….

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.