PDA

View Full Version : Specialties demand in Germany

Rui Pereira
03-09-2014, 07:00 AM
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, and am thinking of doing my 6th year medical school in Germany (2015/2016) and then applying for a residency position there (i'm EU citizen, with EU diploma)

Does anyone know how much is the demand for anesthesiologists or trauma surgeons in Germany ?

I've heard that most doctors are not very satisfied with trauma surgery and so the program has been having some changes lately, but i found no information concerning anethesiology.

Anyone knows anything about these two specialties?

Thanks a lot in advance !

devildoc8404
03-09-2014, 08:43 AM
According to the recruiters with whom I have contact, Anesthesia has been quite available for the past year or two, while Traumatology is perhaps a bit more competitive but still possible (this is assuming you speak German very well, of course). This can vary substantially by region, however, and within individual hospitals.

If you want the current lay of the land in a specific region, then it would behoove you to contact a medical recruiter who works that area of the country. They will know exactly how many openings they have in each specialty at the local hospitals, and can advise you further. This also presupposes at least B2-level German ability, as the recruiters will not spend time working with applicants who cannot yet speak the language. (I do not mean to harp on this detail, but it comes up time and time and time again... and recruiters hate it.)

Good luck...

Rui Pereira
03-10-2014, 06:26 AM
Thank you!

For my sixth year, i'm thinkin of applying for the electives in Charité and if I like it there, maybe i'll try and stray around.

I'm thinking of starting learning German in September in Portugal (beggining of 5th year) and finish A2 until July. Then going to Germany for two months (Aug-Sep) intensive language course and reach, at least B1. Then doing B2 during the 6th year. Seems a fairly sensible plan, don't you think ?

It's good to hear that there is not that much demand for anesthesia, since I would like to do it in a big hospital, where i am more prone to have more challenging patients and more work to do and learn.

devildoc8404
03-10-2014, 09:31 AM
Remember that the demand for different specialties changes from year to year, and since many areas have been increasing the pay for anesthesia it could be that it will become increasingly more popular over the next while. This is something to keep in mind as you make your plans... once you have a recruiter with whom you are working they will be able to help you track the most current trends in open positions.

Also, be aware that B2 is now the bare minimum for many hospitals and recruiters... some may actually not accept B2 and will want C1 or even C2. For example, I graduated with a guy last year who was offered a job at B2, then the hospital said "No, we want C1... make that C2. We will hold the position for you for a few months, and if you can achieve that THEN we will hire you." He made it, but it was pretty stressful.

I still get recruiting emails from several German recruiting agencies, and some of them now have C1/C2 listed in their minimum requirements.

Good luck with Charité. Berlin is freaking amazing.

Rui Pereira
03-10-2014, 11:53 AM
Yeah, I saw that you had written that in some other post.
If I can, I will surely go for C1, but I don't want to be irrealistic, and B2 I'm pretty sure I have the time to get; C1, we'll see.

I hope it goes the right way!

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.