PDA

View Full Version : practising Canada and The United States

futureMedstudent!!!
03-05-2014, 08:32 PM
Hello, I got accepted to St. Martinus, and I am very excited to go there. I have heard some great things about this school. However I do have some questions regarding it, I would like to eventually practice in the States or Canada. So far I have learned that if I graduate from SM I will not be able to practice in New York, California, New Jersey, or Florida. Therefore I should be able to practice in other states such as Michigan, Boston, Buffalo, or Chicago right; as well as any province in Canada? Would I be able to do my clinical in these places or just residency?

Torontoguy81
03-13-2014, 05:18 PM
Hi FutureMedstudent,

Congratulation on your acceptance to SMUFOM!! Firstly, you will be able to get licensure/practice medicine in every state except California, but if you want to practice in California there is actually a road you can take but means you have to wait awhile and get licensed in another state first. I'm not going to sugar coat things for you, coming to the Caribbean has it's obstacle but it is very doable if you are driven and are willing to do what ever it takes to have success, like killer USMLE Step 1 score. I am in MD2 currently and can tell you that I have really enjoyed my experience thus far. The faculty are not only amazing in the classroom but if you need extra help the instructors here are willing to sit with you one on one or with a group. One professors lead a study session for students needing extra help till 2am in our library, super cool! The school will organize your clerkships for you but if you have somewhere in mind they are willing to work with you to find the rotations that work best for you. I am from Canada and am planning on eventually returning but am thinking I might start out in the US so I can have the experience of a different healthcare system before returning home. Like I mentioned above, we will face more obstacles when applying for residency than if we had stayed in Canada or the US but it is completely possible, just look at our alumni. We currently have students rotating all over the US, I have talked to them personally and they are loving their rotations. So if you know you are the type of person that can get the job done no matter what your faced with, than I would say you will be fine and be able to practice medicine in almost every state and Canada. When do you start? My name is Brian, message me if you have anymore questions.

Sincerely,

Brian

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.