PDA

View Full Version : Acceptance Letters for Semmelweis and Debrecen 2014

Liz123
02-22-2014, 07:28 AM
Hey guys... I hope all is well! :)

Quick question... does anyone know around what month people usually hear back from Semmelweis or Debrecen regarding acceptance letters? I'm from the U.S. and have my B.S. in Biology and recently applied to both schools in December. I sent my application through an agent for Semmelweis but applied directly to Debrecen. I heard back from Debrecen early January and they said that it will take several weeks for a decision to be made, but still no word from Semmelweis (hope the agent got my application!).

Also, no word on taking an entrance exam or if I need to as well since I already have a first degree. So that's still a mystery as well, although, I did submit an exemption form for Debrecen. I've also read many times on this forum that if you have a Bachelor's Degree or some type of first degree, you're usually exempted from any examination and admitted directly into the school (this goes for majority of Hungarian medical schools).

Well, if someone knows anything, please share thoughts!! It'll be greatly appreciated. I've been traveling a lot in the last few months and I feel like I can't plan my summer on places to visit because I haven't heard back from these schools. I know classes start in September for Semmelweis and I'm assuming the same for Debrecen. Also, not to forget registering for the new semester, purchasing textbooks, finding an apartment, setting up a bank account, getting acquainted with the environment and your surroundings, and etc. My point is, moving to a new country and immersing yourself in a new culture is a hassle on its own, on top of preparing for medical school!!

Anyway, it would be nice if someone could share their thoughts. Thanks!!! :D :D

henry90121
02-22-2014, 10:31 AM
Hello
I am admitted to 2014 Debrecen. I'm not from the US so it'll probably be different. We have 3 test dates and we will know if we're admitted or not right after the oral and written exam in our country. As for the exemption for entrance exam....I dont have a degree so I cant answer that. All I know about the differences of Semmelweis and Debrecen is that one has dorms and one does not, so I only applied to Debrecen XD. The only concern I have is how reputable the school is around the world. I don't want to have difficulty finding a job after I graduate.

Liz123
02-22-2014, 10:55 AM
Hi henry90121,

Thanks for replying to post. Few questions:

1) Where are you from?
2) How did you get admitted for Debrecen 2014?
3) So, did you take this oral and written exam yet?

Everyone has their own opinion for both schools, but I do know that Semmelweis is reputable. I've met a few doctors here in the U.S. who went to Semmelweis... and my father being one of them! :)

henry90121
02-22-2014, 11:03 AM
I'm from Taiwan ( not sure if you've heard of it). A professor came to our country at the end of last year and we took a written exam on biology and chemistry or physics and an oral exam ( kinda like an interview but more academic based). The exams are not too hard. Its just high school level, probably even easier I think. I've already got the acceptance letter. The professor gave it to the ones who passed right after the exams.

Yeah, I know Semmelweis is more reputable but there's only an agent for Debrecen in our country so I guess It'll be more convenient for me to go to Debrecen.
Lucky for you to have a doctor as a father. You'll have more knowledge on the medical stuff.

Liz123
02-22-2014, 11:12 AM
Hi henry90121,

Thanks for the reply! I find it silly that you asked me if I heard of Taiwan! Of course I have! LOL. :cool: Who hasn't? It's 2014! Everyone should have a common knowledge of geography by now. And if not, then I feel sorry for them.

Wow, so that's how you got your acceptance letter? That's pretty interesting and fast! Yeah, I've been reading these posts and many people say the exams are fairly simple.

Well, if you're that concerned about the legitimacy of Debrecen, then apply to Semmelweis. Get in contact with the school and ask them how to apply directly. I'm sure you can definitely apply without going through an agent.

Haha, you're funny. Not sure if I agree on having "more knowledge on the medical stuff" because of my dad!

henry90121
02-22-2014, 11:20 AM
no problem
I added that because last time I went to the US, some friends there thought it was Thailand or sth at first lol. I think it's always been that fast in our country based on what I've heard. I'll probably email Semmelweis for further information but I think i'll try to apply to Ireland too next year. The moment I got my documents ready to apply this year, the applications are all closed.

umm...you'll have opportunities to gain some experience with your dad right? i guess~

Liz123
02-22-2014, 11:32 AM
Hi henry90121,

Of course! He's been my dad my whole life lol. But right now in my life, I'm just seeing as much of the world as I possibly can before school starts. Sure, I've learned many things from both my parents when it comes to medicine, but they are not the only source. Books/articles, volunteer work, traveling, and etc.

henry90121
02-22-2014, 11:47 AM
Its really a nice opportunity to study in the us. In our country, students r forced to keep studying and no other experiences.

I was thinking about getting a computer science degree in the us first and continue my medical education because it is my other interest. But finally i decided to save two years and go directly to med school. (not sure if it is the right choice)

gonnabeagooddoc2012
05-13-2014, 08:26 AM
Hi Liz123,

I applied in mid April and found out in early May. It took about 3 weeks. If you have not heard by now I highly suggest that you get back in touch with the universities. Good luck.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.