PDA

View Full Version : Title IV?

Badtz
02-15-2014, 11:54 PM
Will AUA get Title IV anytime soon?

lifesaver2
02-20-2014, 01:26 PM
I spoke to someone at AUA about this on Tuesday. They said the school is up for review in June. So fingers crossed on that!

Lancelot
02-22-2014, 07:11 PM
It is sort of a catch 22 though. The private loans we get now have horrible interest rates and onerous repayment policies, but because of the difficulty of obtaining said loans the tuition has to be kept *somewhat* reasonable. If AUA ever gets Title IV the school will jack up the tuition to the max possible knowing students can get around $25k in Title IV funds every semester. This is precisely what Ross does. So students will graduate with a lot more debt, but better interest rates and repayment terms. It's almost a wash in my book

lifesaver2
02-27-2014, 01:46 PM
Its hard to argue with deferment of loans though. It is my understanding that Bank of Lake Mills requires you to pay back before you have even graduated.

iskander1
02-27-2014, 07:04 PM
whats Title IV?

lifesaver2
03-05-2014, 04:54 PM
federal funding. you would not have to take a private loan from AUA

jaredE1985
03-21-2014, 03:46 PM
Did AUA lose their federal funding or have they never had access to it?

Raj25
03-21-2014, 04:08 PM
The school was supposed to get federal funding in August 2011 when they got the "cali approval" status. never happened. the school lost some loans with BOLM in 2013 when the school lost nbme status and got caught cheating. infact the status of loans for this school has always been shady. one lender after another cutting ties with the school due to the cheating scandals, high interest rates and the list goes on

jaredE1985
03-21-2014, 05:46 PM
What do you mean by they got caught cheating? Were the lenders cheating the students or was AUA purposely giving students predatory loans or something? I am thinking about going to this school but I don't want to go somewhere where they are shady about their financial aid.

Raj25
03-21-2014, 05:55 PM
lenders don't cheat. When a school get's caught cheating and has NBME privileges removed, lenders cut ties with the school and/or charge extremely high interest.

Raj25
03-21-2014, 05:56 PM
school gets caught cheating on shelf examinations, purposely giving students loans with extremely high interests etc. lenders ofcourse would opt out.

jaredE1985
03-25-2014, 11:44 AM
lenders don't cheat. When a school get's caught cheating and has NBME privileges removed, lenders cut ties with the school and/or charge extremely high interest.

Is there any documentation of this? I have googled it but nothing really comes up other than replies on message boards. I would like to have a better understanding of why I am getting myself into. Questions I have are why isn't the school recognized by the department of education? Is the school or is it not accredited? I've read that AUA is accredited in NY and California, but not sure what to believe because I believe I also read that it wasn't accredited in NY.

Raj25
03-25-2014, 12:21 PM
Is there any documentation of this? I have googled it but nothing really comes up other than replies on message boards. I would like to have a better understanding of why I am getting myself into. Questions I have are why isn't the school recognized by the department of education? Is the school or is it not accredited? I've read that AUA is accredited in NY and California, but not sure what to believe because I believe I also read that it wasn't accredited in NY.

Accredition doesn't really matter to secure residencies and all as long as you score high on step 1. But I've met students at AUA - especially students native to Antigua who have studied in antigua, went onto AUA scored great on Step 1 but could not score residencies. But I also met others who got residencies but then again, that is only a handful of students. I entered AUA in August 2011 because of the cali approval and all. Maybe the school has gotten ties with california medical board but so far the school has not gotten title IV loans and as with New York - I really don't know whether the school is accredited with New York. When the school lost it's nbme priviledges, our dean came to class and stated the school lost rotation spots in New York and Ohio. So not really sure there.

I currently finished my step 1 from AUA and I am currently on limbo/freaking out due to the clinical rotations status of the school. Not sure where my next rotation is and not sure whether the clinical education at AUA will guarantee me a residency. Again, these are just the experiences students like myself and many others place on message boards.

dhermon
03-26-2014, 03:45 PM
Thank you for allowing me to address some of the concerns you posted on ValueMD.

There is a common misunderstanding of the terms “accredited” and “approved.” Offshore medical schools cannot get “accredited” by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME). The LCME only accredits U.S. medical schools. AUA has undergone reviews similar to that conducted by the LCME and is proud to say that its medical education has been “approved” by the New York State Education Department (NYSED) and “recognized” by the Medical Board of California (MBC). Both states conducted extensive reviews to assess the quality and rigors of AUA’s medical program and the results have confirmed an exclusive status shared by only a select number of Caribbean medical schools.

Approval or recognition of the quality of a medical education has absolutely nothing to do with approval to offer Title IV Federal Financial Aid. We currently offer a private loan program covering tuition and fees for qualified incoming and continuing students, the parameters of which are clearly stated on our website and are updated regularly. In addition, there have not been any “cutting ties” with any lenders. Bank of Lake Mills was and is still a lender that AUA is working with.

We continue to expand our affiliation agreements with teaching hospitals in the U.S., Canada, UK and India to provide clinical training opportunities for our students who have successfully passed the United States Medical Licensing Examination, Step 1. The ability to secure post-graduate training, or residency, is entirely dependent upon academic performance, Step 1 and Step 2 scores, letters of recommendation from clinical preceptors, and any other credentials that make a more desirable candidate.

Residency placements cannot be guaranteed for any medical student from either a U.S. or offshore medical school. That said, our graduates continue to earn residency positions at some of the most prestigious teaching hospitals in North America. Our residency placements are posted on the AUA website shortly after the National Residency Match Program concludes in mid-March.

We invite any current or prospective students to contact us directly to resolve any personal difficulties or concerns regarding their medical education. Additionally, we provide information seminars at multiple locations during the spring and fall, during which prospective students and their families can learn more about our programs and services.

npatty
04-03-2014, 03:28 PM
So is there an anticipated time for if/when title IV will be granted?

patience99
04-03-2014, 03:43 PM
AUA has to be accredited by CAAM-HP (it's the caribbean "LCME").. navigate the CAAM-HP website and you will see how schools are assessed and the stage in the application each school is in. AUA currently has "Provisional Accreditation". Next week they are due for a second site visit by CAAM-HP, after which AUA may move to the next stage which is "Accreditation with Conditions". SGU currently has "Accreditation with Conditions". Application for Title IV i'm guessing occurs after full accreditation (months or years later). But considering that tuition will be maxed out, the more important question to ask is who benefits more from Title 4, the school or students?

:fireworks:

Doc1day
04-03-2014, 04:53 PM
More people have to start doing well on the comp for starters

npatty
04-23-2014, 07:44 PM
Since SGU has "Accreditation with Conditions" and AUA will be receiving the same status, why is AUA taking so long to get Title IV funding?

medman
04-30-2014, 02:02 PM
Since SGU has "Accreditation with Conditions" and AUA will be receiving the same status, why is AUA taking so long to get Title IV funding?

The main reason is because obtaining Title IV funding status is no easy task. I'm not even sure if AUA can ever get Title IV because although the school is accredited, it was founded in the 2000's which is well after that mandate that came out in 1992 indicating schools schools started after a certain date (can't remember, the 90's) cannot receive Title IV funding.

HOPEMDOne
01-18-2015, 09:23 PM

I am thinking of attending either American University of Antigua (AUA) or Medical University of Americas (MUA). Which school would you recommend?

Confused14
06-02-2015, 07:16 PM
Just got word AUA is getting Title 4 this summer :). More to come, I can't give you any more info, other than we have the school code (which won't go into effect into it happens).

This is not a troll post, feel free to deny. But when it happens this summer, hopefully the MODs will let me ridicule you back :).

mattrw02
09-21-2015, 08:49 PM
Summer ends in 2 days... any new info?

Just got word AUA is getting Title 4 this summer :). More to come, I can't give you any more info, other than we have the school code (which won't go into effect into it happens).

This is not a troll post, feel free to deny. But when it happens this summer, hopefully the MODs will let me ridicule you back :).

bolmd
09-27-2015, 10:15 PM
Doubt that is true!! they just applied beginning of this year, could take up to 5 years. Got 4 more to go...

vick2025
10-19-2015, 10:05 PM
And we are finally approved for TITLE 4 Loans :p:clapover::peace:

UCFtoAUA
10-21-2015, 05:26 PM
Yes we got Title IV and it is now on our Website! Finally after I finished paying my Semester 10. But they will soon have the code up on FAFSA so every student will be preparing to apply. Good luck to anyone looking to transfer or start with us. You guys are lucky!

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.