PDA

View Full Version : Nobel Laureate Urges US Medical Students To Work/Train Overseas

devildoc8404
02-15-2014, 08:23 AM
This might stir the pot a bit, but it is an interesting read. Especially for someone like me, who looked at a list of pros-and-cons for entering the US Match vs. accepting a training position overseas... and opted for the latter.

Why A Nobel Laureate Is Telling His Students To Go To Other Countries - Business Insider (http://www.businessinsider.com/why-a-nobel-laureate-is-telling-his-students-to-go-to-other-countries-2013-11)

Granted, yeah, Dr. Rothman is talking about his MD-PhD students who obviously have strong research interests, and not straight clinicians... but I think the points are both important and quite valid.

axiomofchoice
02-15-2014, 11:35 AM
While it's true that NIH funding has significantly decreased, and its become generally harder to obtain funding for research in the US, Mr. Rothman doesn't seem to have any proof that there are better environments overseas. Simply telling people to go abroad seems somewhat short sighted. NIH is far from being the only source for research funding. DOD, and the Gates foundation are among some of the largest sources as well. No country in the world (except switzerland, which gets to toy with the world's investment money) provides university endowments the way american establishments do.

Interestingly, having MD-PhD is actually negatively correlated to pursuing an academic career in my field.

devildoc8404
02-17-2014, 04:59 PM
Yeah, those Nobel laureates are generally pretty short-sighted folks. ;)

Gates funds do not remain solely in the US, they are distributed all over the world. There are some Gates-funded projects at my PhD institution in Switzerland. DoD is big, but far from devoted to biomedical research.

I just thought it was interesting... and you are right about decent funding in Switzerland.

Which field are you in that is anti-MD-PhD?

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.