PDA

View Full Version : SGU Transfer to AUA chances?

CleverUsername4
01-07-2014, 10:10 PM
Hello, I'm trying to transfer from SGU to AUA (due to academic problems) and was wondering about my chances of acceptance. My MCAT score is 30R, but my undergrad GPA was only about 3.0. I faced some personal problems at SGU that I did not deal with as well as I should have, but I've worked through a lot of them with the help of my close family and friends. I have a decent research background, both in undergrad (three different projects and clinical research experience at a major hospital), the workforce (2 years as a microbiology lab assistant), and I was part of 2 lab groups at SGU. What do you think my chances are of being accepted as a transfer? I've already been granted an interview, but I'm still nervous as you can imagine. Please give any honest feedback that you have. Thank you!

Raj25
01-08-2014, 06:40 PM
I just completed my basic sciences and took step 1. My class started off with 350 back in Med 1 August 2011. And only 30-40 people managed to pass comprehensive shelf exam. only 2 people so far passed step 1. The rest are transferring to Windsor or elsewhere or playing the waiting game. This is a huge failure and the HARD TRUTH that no one at AUA will tell you. The school lost NBME privileges completely due to rampant cheating and when I mean "rampant" I really mean cheating to the point where the Provost of the school threatened to quit and threatened to fire MOST of the faculty who are involved in cheating scandals. During my time there, I've seen numerous professors leave the school because they were disgruntled.

Comparing Faculty at AUA and SGU/ROSS etc, AUA faculty come from India whereas SGU faculty most probably are esteemed professors from the United States/Canada. Since AUA faculty come from India, you will be witnessing Bribe taking, harassing of female students, Caste System enforced (wherein faculty members leak exams to students who belong to their caste/religion) etc. Many of the Canadian and american faculty at AUA have quit.

My opinion Do not come to AUA! There are numerous options for medical schools. Ireland, Australia, Newzealand and even the top tier Caribbean schools. AUA and the lower tiered caribbean schools should be the LAST resort.

CleverUsername4
01-09-2014, 10:51 PM
Will I still be able to take the USMLEs? Will I still be able to get an MD that is recognized by ECFMG?

Raj25
01-13-2014, 10:59 PM
Yes, you can take step 1 with AUA if you pass Kaplan comp with a score anywhere between 72-78 (inflation adjusted) or the NBME taken in the States. No idea if an MD degree from AUA is recognized by ECFMG. In terms of residency AUA grads find it difficult to secure residency compared to Ross, SGU etc. But if you score 220+ on step 1 you stand a shot.

Guju4lyfe
01-17-2014, 03:37 PM
I just completed my basic sciences and took step 1. My class started off with 350 back in Med 1 August 2011. And only 30-40 people managed to pass comprehensive shelf exam. only 2 people so far passed step 1. The rest are transferring to Windsor or elsewhere or playing the waiting game. This is a huge failure and the HARD TRUTH that no one at AUA will tell you. The school lost NBME privileges completely due to rampant cheating and when I mean "rampant" I really mean cheating to the point where the Provost of the school threatened to quit and threatened to fire MOST of the faculty who are involved in cheating scandals. During my time there, I've seen numerous professors leave the school because they were disgruntled.

Comparing Faculty at AUA and SGU/ROSS etc, AUA faculty come from India whereas SGU faculty most probably are esteemed professors from the United States/Canada. Since AUA faculty come from India, you will be witnessing Bribe taking, harassing of female students, Caste System enforced (wherein faculty members leak exams to students who belong to their caste/religion) etc. Many of the Canadian and american faculty at AUA have quit.

My opinion Do not come to AUA! There are numerous options for medical schools. Ireland, Australia, Newzealand and even the top tier Caribbean schools. AUA and the lower tiered caribbean schools should be the LAST resort.

I've just gotten acceptance from this school. Just gonna wait for the big 3 to give replies and also some DO schools. Looks like from the negative vibes AUA is giving me, I'll most probably decline it.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.