PDA

View Full Version : Housing situation info wanted

db61102
12-04-2013, 09:48 AM
Hi.

I am thinking about buying a small house on Saba and renting it out to students. We might eventually retire to it some years in the future.

I have visited a couple times, and I have actually done some contract work for the University. So I am somewhat familiar with the island and student life there, and have had great experiences on the island.

I am looking for some input from students as to whether you think this is a good idea. Is housing in demand? Are students looking for a variety of housing alternatives? What would be reasonable rent for a two bedroom house, probably in the Hell's gate area? Is Hell's Gate too far to commute, or would it be an advantage to be a bit removed from the hubub of town?

Any experiences or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

db61102
12-11-2013, 04:54 PM
I hear crickets chirping... Hello? Hello? :)

I know you guys and gals are busy studying, but it has been a week, over 200 people have viewed this question, and nobody has any ideas, experiences, or suggestions for me?

Please, help me out. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

wolfvgang22
12-11-2013, 09:01 PM
Hi.

I am thinking about buying a small house on Saba and renting it out to students. We might eventually retire to it some years in the future.

I have visited a couple times, and I have actually done some contract work for the University. So I am somewhat familiar with the island and student life there, and have had great experiences on the island.

I am looking for some input from students as to whether you think this is a good idea. Is housing in demand? Are students looking for a variety of housing alternatives? What would be reasonable rent for a two bedroom house, probably in the Hell's gate area? Is Hell's Gate too far to commute, or would it be an advantage to be a bit removed from the hubub of town?

Any experiences or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
When I was on the island I rented one of the nicer, larger 2 bedroom houses in Hell's Gate for about $1,000 a month for a few semesters and felt that was fair. Good housing is always in demand. There are always some students that have a family and need a house or larger apartment. Most people don't want to live as far out as Hell's Gate, though I did. I felt a car was a necessity living that far from campus.

db61102
12-12-2013, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the reply, wolfvgang22.

It sounds like being way out in Hell's Gate may limit our pool of potential tenants. I tend to like it there because it seems quieter, with potential views out over the ocean. It also seems to be a drier micro-climate at that end of the island, which I like. But I am not ruling our Windwardside, or elsewhere.

Saba seems to be a tough place to own rental property because the ratio of property cost to expected rent payments is low; you have to pay a lot for a property that might not be in that much demand. I can hopefully justify it even though it's a poor business investment because we love the island so much, and will hopefully get some use of the property ourselves over the years. There just isn't much available.

Thanks, again.

Any further comments appreciated!

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.