PDA

View Full Version : Irish medical school's requirements

Ducky
11-23-2013, 06:18 PM
Hi

I am applying through the Atlantic Bridge Program. I am doing my last year of high school in Canada. So far haven't even finished my 1st semester. the admission deadline is in December 2013, and we finish 1st semester in the end of Jan 2014 so i have to apply anyway if i don't want to miss the deadline. i can't estimate what my overall average will be. i went on their website and this is what i have found:

"A: Because GPA can be very subjective, the Irish Medical Schools do not typically use guidelines around GPA for admissions purposes. For instance, Student A may have a slightly lower GPA than Student B, but Student A may have a much higher degree of difficulty in his / her degree or high school program. Also, many schools (especially in Canada) do not use a GPA system. So, there are many variables involved and therefore GPA is not always a useful system for assessing students for medical school and it can be misleading.

Consequently, the Admissions Committees tend to consider every application individually and on its own merits, taking into account (among other things) the degree of difficulty involved in the undergraduate degree, the competitiveness of the school, the course load carried by the student and a number of other factors."

My questions is what is the minimum admission average for Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland and University College Dublin?

Anyone applying through the Atlantic bridge?

Also if anyone is currently studying in Ireland and can offer me an advice, that would be helpful

Tricuspid
11-24-2013, 12:23 PM
I don't think there is an established minimum. They said specifically that they take every application into account individually. Generally I would aim for 90%+ on Bio and Chem and 85%+ average. Now this varies depending on your province and some people have AP, IB or SAT scores too. Honestly, I think to get acceptance you probably need a 90%+ average unless you go to a private school then maybe 87%+.

Ducky
11-24-2013, 01:55 PM
Ok. I was also wondering about the 6 year MD program in the United Kingdom with a foundation year. since most university ( that i researched) haven't specified an average for international student's who want to apply for the 6 year program with a foundation year, does that mean that the general admission average applies for the foundation year?

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.