PDA

View Full Version : CA Disapproval and Greenbook for Residency

wanderer_
11-23-2013, 04:17 AM
Hey guys !

I am from Canada and I am interested in practicing in Canada after doing residency in the US.

From the perspective of residency only (not licensing), how important is CA disapproval ? Am I right in assuming that you are only banned from doing residency in California...and the other 49 states are all open for residency ?

Same question as above for greenbook rotations. I have heard California requires all greenbook rotations, both for residency and licensing. So, if you don't have all greenbook rotations, the other 49 states are still open for residency ?

I have been looking around the forum, but most information I found has to do with licensing, not residency.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any help.

devildoc8404
11-23-2013, 07:23 AM
Am I right in assuming that you are only banned from doing residency in California...and the other 49 states are all open for residency ?

No, that is an incorrect assumption. There are a number of other states (somewhere between 8-10, if memory serves) that follow the California list to varying degrees. Vermont, New Mexico, one of the Dakotas, Arkansas, and some others. Tennessee is a bit of an oddball, I believe they will allow a training license (i.e. residency) there, but not a regular license for practice thereafter if your school is not CA approved.

For the record, there are no "blanket" approvals in the US... each state has its own medical board and its own requirements. That goes for Greenbook rotation requirements, as well.

The best way to get the information about each state is to contact the state medical boards that interest you. Actually, it is better to read the requirements as listed on their websites, because often the people who work there have no freaking idea themselves. Take what you read on VMD with a grain of salt, and do the research. It is well worth the effort... I mean, after all, it is only your medical career that is at stake.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.