PDA

View Full Version : 6yr M.D programme

happy
09-23-2004, 04:36 AM
hey
just a few Q's...
1) there are 3 semesters per year... how many basic science semesters are there? and how clinical sience semesters are there? (in total 6yr course)

2) what are the approx living costs per semester?

3) how much is the approx expenditure on books&materials for the 1st year?

4) what is the weekly timetable like?

5) what is the deadline for applications jan 2005?

thank you, look forward 2 ur replies :)

drzed
09-23-2004, 11:55 AM
hey
just a few Q's...
1) there are 3 semesters per year... how many basic science semesters are there? and how clinical sience semesters are there? (in total 6yr course)

Here's a link to the 6year pre-med program info: http://www.stchris.edu/6yrmd.htm

There are 6 semesters for pre-med and then 5 semesters of basic sciences.

2) what are the approx living costs per semester?

This very much depends on your spending habits. I would budget about 300-400 pounds/month for RENT, 50-75 pounds/month for GROCERIES, 75-100 pounds/month for utilities and phone, etc.

3) how much is the approx expenditure on books&materials for the 1st year?

1st semester Basic Science books cost me in total about 200 pounds I think...

4) what is the weekly timetable like?

I'll let someone from pre-med answer with respect to their timetable, for basic sciences it's either 8-4 or 9-4 (depending on which semester).

5) what is the deadline for applications jan 2005?

I'm sure there's probably some posted deadline on the website...but you can pretty much apply a week before the term and still get in for pre-med.

thank you, look forward 2 ur replies :)

Goodluck...

TRICKYDRD
10-02-2004, 01:39 AM
PM me and I will let try to answer more queistions. I would say that the quotes on cost of living are way understated. You might be able to "live" on that budget, but who can live like a monk for 6 years?

stchrisrep
10-02-2004, 01:24 PM
1st semester Basic Science books cost me in total about 200 pounds I think...

It's recommended that students purchase books from our website or any
other online bookstore in the U.S. (i.e. B&N) because it's cheaper. Students
will almost be paying double at U.K. bookstores. The U.K. bookstores are
good for emergencies or when you really need something in a hurry.

Darlyn3
10-02-2004, 05:23 PM
Dear happy,
I suggest that you don't until the last week before the term begins to apply. For one you need time for your entry clearance, at least 3-4 weeks prior to commencing the term, also, if you wait too late, you'll arive to Luton, and your MONEY (financial aid/student loan) will not become readily available to you as it would if you were to apply for it at least 2-3 months before. There are a few students this term who have yet to see their money, simply because they did things half a$$. Do things ahead of time, and you'll be on the clear.

If you have any qs please feel free to contact me through PM

Best Regards,

Darlyn

drzed
10-02-2004, 06:33 PM
It's recommended that students purchase books from our website or any
other online bookstore in the U.S. (i.e. B&N) because it's cheaper. Students
will almost be paying double at U.K. bookstores. The U.K. bookstores are
good for emergencies or when you really need something in a hurry.

1st Semester:
Medical Ethics (Text) - $65.95US
Embryo (Moore/Persaud) - $54.95US
Histology $62.95US (Wheater) + $54.95US (Atlas)
Anatomy $59.95US (Moore) + $64.95US (Atlas)
-----------------------------------------------------------
~$365US + tax + shipping
(based on Amazon.com prices)

This doesn't even include the cell biology textbook ("THE CELL") that I would consider a wasted expense, nor does it include all the review books most of us usually get (BRS or HIGH Yield or USMLE preps, etc.).

You'll definitely have to budget more than 200 pounds for Semester 1 books (converted from Amazon.com USD figures).

OR, you could avoid paying that much, and buy used books from upper semester students for anywhere between 25-50% off in most cases...(and you won't have to worry about shipping or overweight suitcases).

ansgenius
10-02-2004, 06:42 PM
Us 1st semesters don't take ethics. We take epidemiology and preventive medicine. Ethics is switched to 3rd semester. So far, all we need is the notes. Any books are purely for review.

drzed
10-02-2004, 09:19 PM
Us 1st semesters don't take ethics. We take epidemiology and preventive medicine. Ethics is switched to 3rd semester. So far, all we need is the notes. Any books are purely for review.

Goodluck on your exams dude,

ansgenius
10-03-2004, 05:13 AM
Thanks, good luck to you too.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.