PDA

View Full Version : January 2014 CMU Medical Program

Med92
11-16-2013, 12:26 PM
I just recently got accepted to CMU and wondering if anyone else is going to attend this school for the January 2014 semester. Still deciding if I should attend but the tuition is so low compared to other medical schools and was one of the key factors why I applied. I still want to know if I can get license in states such as Texas and Florida since they have no income tax. I really don't care about Cali and New York since they have income tax. If I could get anymore info from former students or new students about CMU, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance

scrltubaldo
11-17-2013, 05:43 PM
I just recently got accepted to CMU and wondering if anyone else is going to attend this school for the January 2014 semester. Still deciding if I should attend but the tuition is so low compared to other medical schools and was one of the key factors why I applied. I still want to know if I can get license in states such as Texas and Florida since they have no income tax. I really don't care about Cali and New York since they have income tax. If I could get anymore info from former students or new students about CMU, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance

I am on the same boat. I am calling admissions tomorrow.
Hope you get the answers you need.

MedStu16
12-09-2013, 01:50 PM
Hey guys I am a current CMU student and would be happy to answer any and all of your questions. I also came to CMU because its so affordable. Since I started the school has grown tremendously and the curriculum is becoming more and more rigorous, helping us prepare for the step even more than before. I am really happy with my decision to attend. If you have specific questions feel free to ask. you can also get more information on the schools website cmumed.org

scrltubaldo
12-10-2013, 09:09 PM
hi!
I will be attending CMU Jan 2014. I wanted to know which books you suggest for basic sciences? and what apostille services you use? the person used for reference on the CMU website is out of the country.

Thanks

Edward007
01-17-2014, 01:01 PM
Good question I hope someone can reply to shed further light on this subject

MedStu16
01-22-2014, 10:00 PM
I thought I replied to this question so sorry. All the required and some recommended books are on the CMU website. You will definitely need First Aid USMLE 2014 or 2013 is fine also. I personally really like the Kaplan books I find them to be very helpful. there are tons of books it just depends on your learning style and how in depth you want to go. books like the BRS series will give you a general outline and understanding. Kaplan will highlight the highly testable "high-yield" material. and of course textbooks for the full story. for your MD1 semester you will definitely need clinically oriented anatomy. Junqueira's Basic Histology for histo and Lange's for embryo is what we used when I took it. As for Apostilles it depends where you're from each state is different so I would call the secretary of state they usually do it. Mine cost about 20 dollars and took about 21 days if i remember correctly. Hope this info gets to you!

Medmerized
02-17-2014, 01:07 PM
I feel sorry for anyone that is actually going to attend this fake school. I went to CMU for a visit for at least a month and let me tell you that this is not a real medical school. The faculty is horrible and none of the teachers are USMLE approved. The classes seems like you're in a middle school. They don't even a have a proper library. There are like 5 desks inside the library and it is a joke. They are just trying to take your money. No wonder it is the cheapest medical school and I don't even consider this a medical school. The rooms are dirty and the school doesn't even proper material to teach. I think CMU will get banned very soon cause it is nothing like a medical school at all. Just a warning to anyone that is planning to come to this F- school. Go to a one of the big 4 school or at least a school that has residents. There is no residents from CMU and I don't think anyone will ever make it. It started in 2007 yet there are 0 residents. This is a red flag imo.

MedStu16
02-17-2014, 03:34 PM
Medmerized, you are clearly delusional. We do have a proper library AND a computer lab where our midterms and finals are administered. We have all the proper accreditations and just got approved for NBME shelf exams. CMU has grown exponentially since I started in Spring of 2013. If they grew this much in just a year I have no doubts we will continue to grow even more. People like you trying to give us a bad name doesn't even work. we have over 500 students in basics and clinicals combined. Yes our school may be affordable but that doesn't mean we don't learn or we are a fake school. As someone who came from Saint James in Bonaire now that is a F- school and thats why they are closing down! and we are only growing. Might I suggest you do the same and grow up.

verokmed
02-17-2014, 08:24 PM
Medmerized please stop the nonsense. You just opened a VMD account to bash CMU??? Our school is growing faster than any other in the Caribbean so just be happy with whatever school you attend and dont post lies. As Thampas said we have all reaquired accreditations and just got approved by NBME which inspected the library and our computerized testing center. I have also transfered from another caribbean med school so I can compare CMU to others F-schools. Im in rotations now which are in hospitals unlike others schools doctors offices and Im so happy that I chose this school. Another lie is that CMU doesnt have residents. We do and here is one of them, Luke, a personal friend of mine Summa Medical Education - Internal Medicine (http://meded.summahealth.org/residency-programs/internal-medicine/2013-2014-residents/internal-medicine)

MUAHOPE
11-21-2014, 09:04 AM
your link doesn't work. I got accepted for January 2015 and I'm very skeptical because I was never interviewed. I wish you had residency match list...

cadmd4
11-22-2014, 12:25 AM
CMU has a peer mentor program for new incoming students and potential applicants. Email [email protected] You will get paired up with a current senior student to have all your questions answered. I am part of it, I graduate this April. Hope that helps scrltubaldo!

Also the books that helped me out were mostly ones that students recommended.
Definitely USMLE Step 1 first aid (start annotating that book up from day 1 you start class- I wish I had ). BRS Physiology was a great purchase for me. Microbiology made ridiculously simple was good for ppl new to microbio. I liked Grey's Anatomy Review book by Mario Loukas-is basically a question bank to help you get in to the clinical mind frame. Def Pathoma by Hussain Sattar (try to get an online subscription).

cadmd4
11-22-2014, 12:30 AM
Edward if you have specific questions for senior students email [email protected]

cadmd4
11-22-2014, 12:53 AM
We have students currently going through the interview process for residency if you want to talk to them. Not all of them access value md. This question regarding residency was previous answered in another thread. We are still a new school. First commencement ceremony was this year. We have students CURRENTLY interviewing in IM AND SURGERY as examples. We hope to get stats by Mar 2016 match because then we will have more graduates (50 up). The class of 2015 will be crucial in data aquistion. In the earlier years, CMU accepted transfer students who are non-traditional applicants that apply to match AFTER 4th year not end of 3rd yr of med school. Hence, the confusion I guess. However..we have the first official Curacao class (who are not transfer students) and have just started their clinical rotations. They will match also in the 2016/2017 match cycles.

your link doesn't work. I got accepted for January 2015 and I'm very skeptical because I was never interviewed. I wish you had residency match list...

MUAHOPE
11-22-2014, 01:23 AM
[QUOTE=cadmd4;1510633]We are still a new school. First commencement ceremony was this year. /QUOTE]

I thought the school began in 2007?

cadmd4
11-22-2014, 02:41 AM
[QUOTE=cadmd4;1510633]We are still a new school. First commencement ceremony was this year. /QUOTE]

I thought the school began in 2007?

It did open in 2007. First official commencement ceremony means the school hosted its first graduation ceremony for students to partake. That being said, there were prior graduates but no ceremony.

GIinthesky
12-04-2014, 07:12 PM
Another lie is that CMU doesnt have residents. We do and here is one of them, Luke, a personal friend of mine

Were you classmates? What did he do to get residency? Do you have ANY others?

psychvmd
12-05-2014, 12:22 AM

cadmd4
12-05-2014, 02:59 PM
I personally know students interviewing for this match cycle, they will only find out March 2015. Students are interviewing for IM, Surgery, etc.. If you want to get an idea of their experience just contact the peer mentor program.

mjw
12-08-2014, 12:02 AM
Like cadmd4 said, I also know people who are currently going through interviews to match for 2015. This is the biggest matching class so far so we'll wait and see.

As for books, I recommend First Aid and Pathoma among other things people use.

GIinthesky
12-08-2014, 12:43 AM
Sadly, I don't know who to really trust on here anymore. Nobody will answer my question of what other residents CMU has placed outside of the one person who's been named over and over again. At this point, I'm not sure who is a school official in disguise and who isn't, especially now after verokmed, in an effort to clear up lies about the school, lies about being a "personal friend" of the aforementioned resident when he has not even met him.

medschoolorbust
12-08-2014, 07:08 PM

CMU isn't a BIG school, but trust me it prepares you very well. I am an MD1 student and am about to be an MD2 student come january. The school is still pretty lax on the admission criteria but the curriculum will weed out the poor students. What you need to thrive here is a strong will and the ability to just put your head down and study. The only reason why I am writing this is because, I remember looking on Value MD and wondering which school to go to. Reading the horrible things people say to each other about schools and how their decision was better than another persons.... It is all **!!! YOU have to ask yourself if you have what it takes, and just dive in. The school is growing rapidly on campus the school has a full anatomy lab, with cadavers. We have a computer lab, a dorm, and a 24hr open campus. Ask people how the school is on facebook CMUSOM is the name.

DON'T let people scare you out of your dream profession! (i am assuming it is if you are willing to live in a developing country hundreds/thousands of miles away from home)

medschoolorbust
12-08-2014, 07:10 PM
the website is there just search summa medical and Luke Hashiguchi, M.D.
Caribbean Medical

psychvmd
12-08-2014, 08:31 PM

GIinthesky
12-09-2014, 08:00 PM
As I said, is there anyone else? I've seen the same link posted about four times.

cadmd4
12-10-2014, 12:20 AM
This question has been previously addressed. CMU biggest class is set to apply to the 2015-2016 match as majority of the students who have matched so far are transfer and advance standing students. So, updates will be available as of March 2015.

Why don't you get in touch with a current student who have interviewed for this year?

GIinthesky
12-10-2014, 07:09 AM
This question has been previously addressed. CMU biggest class is set to apply to the 2015-2016 match as majority of the students who have matched so far are transfer and advance standing students. So, updates will be available as of March 2015.

Why don't you get in touch with a current student who have interviewed for this year?

It hasn't been addressed. People have been saying there are currently more than one in residency, but they can only point out one, whom I actually contacted, and HE doesn't know of any others. He denies being "personal friends" as verokmed claims, with anyone from CMU. Nor was he aware that his name is being posted here. I'm not asking how many interviewed, I'm asking how many are there now since there was already one "official" graduation, but seemingly others graduated prior to that.

mdwild
12-31-2014, 06:44 AM
I will be attending CMU this January 2015. I'm transferring from another medical school and scheduled to stay in the clarion dorms. I'm looking for students that can help me with some questions:

1. Is the dress for class scrubs everyday for all MD levels or just for level 1?
2. How long are the classes and do you get breaks?
3. I am in need of a few MD3 books that I couldn't order in time to bring with me if anyone has some to sell.

Thanks

mdwild
12-31-2014, 07:21 AM
It won't let me post the link because I'm new to ValueMd. But if you go to meded.summahealth.org and then look up residency and internal medicine and residents for 2014-2015 Luke is on there.

GIinthesky
01-01-2015, 05:03 PM
I'm not sure what's more amusing... the fact that my one questions has been incorrectly answered the same way three or four times by "different people," or that one of those "individuals" bumped the related thread under the guise of another conversation.

What OTHER residents are there? Not the one that I've already contacted. "I don't know" or "none" are perfectly acceptable answers, but the question hasn't been addressed.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.