PDA

View Full Version : advice for students currently at AUA

Agraphia21
11-08-2013, 12:38 PM
WOW! I havent been on this forum in years. I was the original poster for the basic science advice sticky posted in 2008 (haha, pretty funny how cocky I was back then rereading that post). crazy how long it's been.

Anyways, I am now a PGY-3 in PM&R at university of Texas southwestern. I plan on doing a pain fellowship in the fall of 2015. Like many of you, I started at AUA and had MANY doubts about my future. Didnt know if I could get a residency coming from a foreign med school etc.. to make a long story short, I busted my butt the first two yrs at AUA (this was back when AUA was the old campus with 2 small portable buildings) and ended up transferring into an LCME school in puerto rico. it took me 5 years to graduate because i had to sit out a year to get accepted into PR. Those were long and stressful times. I still keep in contact with some of my classmates who are in different residencies across the nation... I am making this thread just to reinforce that if you work hard you will get a residency spot and life will work out. I used to get on this forum and I always wished some old grad would get on and post good news about how they finished AUA and ended up getting a residency spot etc etc.. I guess just to ease my nerves about going to a foreign med school thus here i am trying to do the same. I know its tough being on the island, and many of you have doubts as it is hard trying to compete with US grads... My advice is to just hang in there and work hard and life will work itself out. Any questions please feel free to ask and ill try my best to answer. hope all is well

pepsatrap
11-08-2013, 12:41 PM
WOW! I havent been on this forum in years. I was the original poster for the basic science advice sticky posted in 2008 (haha, pretty funny how cocky I was back then rereading that post). crazy how long it's been.

Anyways, I am now a PGY-3 in PM&R at university of Texas southwestern. I plan on doing a pain fellowship in the fall of 2015. Like many of you, I started at AUA and had MANY doubts about my future. Didnt know if I could get a residency coming from a foreign med school etc.. to make a long story short, I busted my butt the first two yrs at AUA (this was back when AUA was the old campus with 2 small portable buildings) and ended up transferring into an LCME school in puerto rico. it took me 5 years to graduate because i had to sit out a year to get accepted into PR. Those were long and stressful times. I still keep in contact with some of my classmates who are in different residencies across the nation... I am making this thread just to reinforce that if you work hard you will get a residency spot and life will work out. I used to get on this forum and I always wished some old grad would get on and post good news about how they finished AUA and ended up getting a residency spot etc etc.. I guess just to ease my nerves about going to a foreign med school thus here i am trying to do the same. I know its tough being on the island, and many of you have doubts as it is hard trying to compete with US grads... My advice is to just hang in there and work hard and life will work itself out. Any questions please feel free to ask and ill try my best to answer. hope all is well

Welcome Back! Lol!

Agraphia21
11-08-2013, 12:51 PM
also, I remember renting my car from this deuche bag.. I forgot his name but he was the one guy back in 2006-2008 that rented cars.. name started with a C... I forget. anyways, he is notorious for ripping you off... makes you turn in the car every 2 weeks to clean the car and charges you for it.. stay away from that dude.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.