PDA

View Full Version : Eurpoean School (Ireland) or Caribbean School (SABA)

palipride
11-04-2013, 08:47 AM
Hi, So I'm a Canadian citizen deciding where it would be best to practice medicine as Canada is pretty difficult to get in. I've applied to a Caribbean School so far and I am thinking of applying to one of the 5-year programs at Ireland. Being Canadian, and that I do not have EU status, it will be difficult to get a European residency (I believe it is called Internship there), correct me if I'm wrong, but I would like the patient experience you experience there.

On the other side is the Caribbean School (SABA), where tuition is much less but there is no patient experience till clinical years, and the program is shorter (10 semesters).

Basically, if anyone knows or has experience about the chances of attaining a residency position after receiving the medical degree from either option. It does not matter where I get residency (preferably Internal or General surgery) as long as it is in Canada/US/Europe.

:decision:

Tricuspid
11-04-2013, 09:54 AM
Hi, So I'm a Canadian citizen deciding where it would be best to practice medicine as Canada is pretty difficult to get in. I've applied to a Caribbean School so far and I am thinking of applying to one of the 5-year programs at Ireland. Being Canadian, and that I do not have EU status, it will be difficult to get a European residency (I believe it is called Internship there), correct me if I'm wrong, but I would like the patient experience you experience there.

On the other side is the Caribbean School (SABA), where tuition is much less but there is no patient experience till clinical years, and the program is shorter (10 semesters).

Basically, if anyone knows or has experience about the chances of attaining a residency position after receiving the medical degree from either option. It does not matter where I get residency (preferably Internal or General surgery) as long as it is in Canada/US/Europe.

:decision:

Overall, better to go to Ireland, you'll have an easier time applying back to Canada, but maybe a more difficult time applying to the US. At the end of the day though, its up to you. I believe Irish students match back at 60-70% rates and very few drop out, but they also have higher standards. I don't know the match rates in the Caribbean at SABA but their standards are much lower.

If you are going to take out full student loans i would recommend SABA because its cheaper, but if money is less of a concern than i believe that Ireland provides a better education overall.

wanderer_
11-05-2013, 08:51 PM
Ireland will give you a better chance at residency in Canada. Caribbean will give you a better chance at US residency. The reasons behind this are very important though.

The Irish med schools are considered to be very prestigious. The med school curriculum is similar to Canada. These schools are well respected by program directors in Canada. You will have an easier time arranging clinical electives in Canada (thus being able to get Canadian recommendation letters). That is why you will have a better shot at residency in Canada.

Caribbean schools are not as prestigious as the Irish ones, but they are really geared towards USMLE preparation. The curriculum is similar to US med schools. They also have clinicals in the US. Thus, you will be better prepared to write the USMLE and get US recommendation letters. Overall, this will give you a better shot at residency in the US.

Please note that it's quite possible to get US residency from Ireland as well. However, you will have to do more self study for the USMLE exams and arrange your own electives in the US (and try getting US recommendation letters). So, it's just a little more work. It's also possible to get Canadian residency from the Caribbean, but it's very difficult / unlikely.

Just compare the residency match lists on the Atlantic Bridge (Ireland) website and Saba (Caribbean) med school website. You will know what I am talking about.

Personally, being Canadian, I would go to Ireland if I could afford it....but I can't, so I'm probably going to end up in the Caribbean.

wanderer_
11-05-2013, 08:52 PM
sorry, double post...

chb
01-31-2014, 10:01 PM
Don't go to SABA, I heard it's really hard to pass. You'll most likely flunk out.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.